skipping meals

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

sassy

skipping meals

Post by sassy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:35 pm

I don't have the book yet but just wondered what it says about skipping meals. Scenario........I was cooking supper and got inturrupted by someone stopping by my house by the time I got to finish cooking it was time to take my oldest daughter to her dance class. Got home after 9pm and wasn't hungry by that point and knew that if I ate that late I wouldn't sleep well.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:42 pm

It ain't ideal.

I mean, life happens, sure. But I'd call missing a meal a slipup as much as snacking.

*wry chuckle* I'm afraid I couldn't be but so much help, though. By the time mealtime comes around, I'm hungry with rather a strong and vulgar adjective in front of it, and would be unlikely to refrain from cooking because a friend dropped by. I'd give her a cup of tea, sit her at my counter and keep on cooking (inviting her to dinner, of course!)

If it wasn't a friend, well... The Scary Mommy Eyebrow will chase away people interrupting my meals.

BrightAngel

Re: skipping meals

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:03 pm

sassy wrote:I don't have the book yet but just wondered what it says about skipping meals.
It says don't.
Some Quotes from the book:
  • "Meals are not the problem; they are the solution"
    "A meal isn't just a meal. It's not just "one time". It's a link in the chain of habit."

it's important not to "smudge the clarity of the rule."
    "The basic case for strictness is that it builds habits faster"
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Sandy

Post by Sandy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:07 pm

I used to be able to skip meals and be fine. Since I have spent a few years on NOS - I get shaky or sick to my stomach if I miss a meal. I need to eat three times a day at least 4-5 hours apart. Your body will adapt and you will need the fuel.

rose

Post by rose » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:19 pm

Skipping meals is not practical because you are more likely to have cravings later. That said, sometimes it is unavoidable, don't worry too much about it. As long as it doesn't happen too often and doesn't result in a failed N day, it's fine... Sometimes when there is no time for a regular meal, I grab a sandwich, or a small quiche, and call it my meal.
Started NoS Jan 07 at 74.5kg (164 lbs, BMI 26.7)
Stable since Jan 08 at 64kg (141 lbs, BMI 23)
My progress chart

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:52 am

Oy ... I find I often skip meals on S days ... thats just how it works out but I am religious with my three on N days

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:23 am

If I skip a meal on an S day, it seems like I start permasnacking.

While it's LEGAL on S-days, I don't like to.

apple

Post by apple » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:46 pm

I have never been able to skip meals, so have no experience in this. I don't think it would work very well, only make you dizzy and moody. And more likely to snack and thus fail.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:54 am

well I usually skip my meals on Sday because I am not hungry so fortuntely that has not led to permasnacking for me ... :D in fact since I don't want to eat that third meal, I also don't want to snack!

But for me, the religious commitment to 3meals a day on N days is what keeps it working.

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

palomayombe

Post by palomayombe » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:09 pm

Last edited by palomayombe on Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaymiz

Post by Jaymiz » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:53 pm

Skipping meals routinely actually works AGAINST you, you know. Because your body thinks it's starving, so it will conserve everything (as fat) in order to survive. You're not doing yourself any favors by skipping meals.

BUT, if you're not skipping them on purpose ((the original post in this thread said it was basically a happenstance, not a thing done purposely to avoid eating)), then I don't think it's wrong.

And, I'm definitely all for fasting for religious purposes. I've done that, myself. I've done "30-hour famines" with World Vision, in order to "put myself in the shoes" of those who have hardly anything to eat on a regular basis. ;) It really makes you grateful we live where we do.
http://jaymiz.wordpress.com (The 'No S' Life)
"The more you do a thing, the easier it becomes" ~ Anon.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:56 pm

I'd be real surprised if fasting occasionally for spiritual purposes is something that ANYONE would say is against NO S.

And yes, one's relationship with one's god probably should trump other things.