Introducing Myself

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BrightAngel

Introducing Myself

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:27 pm

I searched for an "Introduction" thread and didn't find one,
so I'm using a New Topic to Introduce myself.
I'd love to see others use the thread to give some details about themslves also.

I am 5'0", 63 years old, and 115 lbs.
My top weight was 271 in 12/1992 just before a Gastric Bypass.
After the WLS, I ate as much as my body would allow-mostly snacks.
Within 6 months my low weight was 160 lbs.
After a few years, weight began to reappear
and I had to again make an effort to watch my food intake.

In 9/2004 weighing 190 lbs I began making a consistent effort at weight-loss,
by counting calories and using different diets
while using a food journaling software program called
Diet Power.
I reached my 115 lb goal in 1/2006.
I created a Maintenance Weight Range as my Goal,
and a visualization of that Goal is part of my Signature.

It is now day 6 of my 6 week committment to No S.
I'll extend that committment if I find the plan successful for me.

I finally learned how to use Habit Cal,
and have decided to track No S by being strict,
but not require absolute perfection to earn the label
"SUCCESS".

"MostlyNoS" is how I will track NoS in my HabitCal.
I'm also going to use HabitCal to track:
"NoSnacks"; "Exercise"; and "Ate1400orLess"
Approx 1400 calories is my total day's burn to maintain my current weight.

As an introduction to those who might be interested in my progress,
below are links to some pictures and graphs of my History.
I am very committed to staying inside my Weight Maintenance Range,
Keeping detailed records has become an enjoyable Habit.
During the above time period, I've used many different diets.
I am looking for a Maintenance Food Plan
which I find comfortable enough to make a permanent Life Style Habit.
I'm hoping the No S plan is it.
Last edited by BrightAngel on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Beckycan

Post by Beckycan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:57 pm

Nice idea -- I'll introduce myself.

I'm 47 years old and live near Springfield, MO. I'm a nurse (LPN) and am working on an Elementary Education degree at Missouri State U. I have lots of weight to lose, starting out at 295 lbs. :oops:

I have tried every diet I could get my hands on, usually lose some weight and then whenever I stop the diet, I gain it all back (and then some!) I haven't always been fat -- I was 145# in high school, 5'8" tall.

I married an abuser right out of high school and put on 50 lbs. that year. (It's true what they say about stress leading to obesity.) With pregnancy came another 50 lbs.; 35 of that stuck around after the baby was born. My first child is now 27 years old, and the rest of my weight has been extra lbs. added every time I regain losses from some diet.

The dieting has not worked. I'm doing this program as a last-ditch attempt at finding some normalcy in my lfe. I don't want to be obese, I don't want to be on a diet all the time. This is just a healthy way of eating, like I grew up with. Today is Day 12 on NoS.
SW 295
CW 292
GW 175

A turtle travels only when he sticks his neck out. Korean Proverb

Jaymiz

Post by Jaymiz » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:08 pm

Nice to "meet" you, BrightAngel! :D Thanks for starting this thread!

I'm "Jaymiz", and I'm 30 years old. I'm married and have 2 school-aged kids, and have been a SAHM (stay-at-home-mom) since my first was born. I've been struggling with my weight since my first pregnancy, 10 years ago. Before that, i was a tiny size 6 (I'm 5'6" tall), and yet -- thanks to the wonderful media -- I thought I was "fat" and needed to lose weight. Mind you, thankfully, I never did anything to *try* to lose weight. I just sucked in my stomach and went on with life. :-)

When I got pregant, no one told me that you didn't really need to "eat for 2", so I ate like crazy! I had pulled my trapezius muscle in my shoulder, so I couldn't work, and I had a lot of stress going on at that point in my life. So I ate. And, I put on 72 lbs with that pregnancy. I went from 111 lbs to 183 lbs. Yuck. Afterward, I only lost about 25 lbs.

It was then that I started trying to find a way to get the excess weight off. And, I was unsuccessful, as most things I tried were either too complicated, or too restrictive.

That is, until 3 years ago. I discovered "Intuitive Eating" (http://www.intuitiveeating.org ), and I promptly lost 25 of my excess 30 pounds in just 6 months! It was awesome! I felt like my old self again! Unfortunately, it was then Christmas-time, and I hadn't learned to deal with those stresses, so I allowed myself to make exceptions here and there -- I thought "a little won't hurt". But, those "little" exceptions added up, and I was 5 lbs heavier after the holidays. This sent me into the dieters downward spiral -- I got depressed about the weight I'd gained, so I mentally kicked myself, which caused me to go to food for "comfort", which just repeated the cycle. And, over the course of the following year, I put back on ALL of the weight I'd lost. :(

So, I've been searching (for the past 3 years) to find a way back into that "mindset" where I could lose weight by following my hunger signals. And, I've been "chasing rabbits" (as my one friend would say), looking for that "magic cure" (which I KNOW doesn't exist -- but don't we all do this? Keep hoping???).

Last week, reading WW, I found out about NoS, and this has been my first week. I'm on day 5! And, so far -- ALL GREEN this week! Whoo! It's been mostly easy (though, yesterday was really tough -- I was REALLY craving snacks & sweets!), and I think this is going to be a good way to go. :)

I'm grateful to have these forums, as they've been a big help during my first week. Everyone's been very friendly & helpful! :)

ETA: I'm currently at 155, which I know isn't huge for my height, but I'm more comfortable in my skin at the lower end of my "range", so I'm aiming for about 122. That's where I feel really comfortable and good about myself, and it's not *too* skinny for me (I know, because when I got down to 127 in 2005, it was really a good weight for me). :) SO, I have about 33 lbs to lose.

ETA-one more thing: Since everyone else is posting more than just their "weight bios", I thought I'd just add two things: I am a bibliophile (love books & reading!), and a Christian. <><
Last edited by Jaymiz on Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://jaymiz.wordpress.com (The 'No S' Life)
"The more you do a thing, the easier it becomes" ~ Anon.

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:03 pm

Let me be next. I am 44...will be 45 in Aug. I am a widow with a 19yr old daughter, who of course is my heart :D She lives near me with her boyfriend. So it's just me and the cat (Mr. Mo) at home.

I need to lose 50-60lbs, to get to a weight that A) I know I'll be comfortable at and look great, and B) that I believe my body can get to!

My story is like pretty much everyones here...lost weight on some 'diet', went off said diet...gained all the weight back and then some usually...tried new diet...guaranteed to work :lol: ....lost some weight...went off that diet...gained weight again...and so on.

I've learned that my body is very sensitive to sugar and carbs, so now I eat healthy..but yes sweets and 2nds and (not so much) snacking can be my downfall. And lack of exercise, another new Habit I am developing.

I firmly believe that the No S plan is the one we/I've been looking for, and that once I firmly develop these new Habits, I will reach my goal weight and more importantly have healthy eating Habits for the rest of my life!

A little bit more persoanl things about me...I have recently opened an Organic Grocery store in my city, as I believe the food we eat, and what's in it...or more importantly not in it, is having a HUGE effect on all of our lifes, our health and the environment.

Well, ok, enough about me, I'm not here to write my autobiography :wink:

Who's next?
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:16 pm

Nice to read everybody's biographies!

I am Nichole and I'm 23 years old and graduated from college last May with a degree in English. I don't have any kids and I am getting married in December. I'm one of SIX children and have 8 neices and nephews. I currrently work in advertising at a magazine as a copywriter. I love it; it's a good start. I am very artsy and love to paint, draw, play music, etc. I think that's enough personal stuff...

My weight has been up and down the last few years.

I started college at 135 and it skyrocketed to 155. It was all the buffet and seconds and the sweets table. Snacking I didn't do because I didn't have money for that.

Then I moved off campus. My step-dad bought an exercise bike and I started working. The standing up for 6 hours two nights a week combined with exercising and eating 3 square meals got my weight down to 140! It was great!

Well, the exercise bike broke. I moved in with my fiance. He has horrible eating habits and loves ice cream every night and can eat half a pizza. I picked up these bad habits and my weight was 155 again by December 07. I started exercising again and got down to 148-150, but that would go up and down. I'd try self-imposed rules but they were self-imposed and I would go off them and weight would come back. Very depressing. I'd have bad panic attacks because I'd worry about not fitting into my wedding dress.

Now I'm on No-S, exercising again (bought a bike in Oct.) and I'm down to 144 or 145! I haven't had any of the crazy fluctuations that I've had in 2007, which I am soooo happy about. My face is no longer puffy and I'm comfortable again. I like to set small goals, so my goal is 140, which is a very happy weight for me. I just want to see where this diet takes me!
Last edited by Nichole on Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:43 pm

My turn! :D

I'll be 53 in August. I'm a Jewish Buddhist vegan pacifist very blue Democrat from New Jersey who doesn't drive living in exile for 28 years in a very red state. I'm married, no kids, 4 dogs. We live with my husband's mother who has severe OCD of the shopping and hoarding type. In a trailer. This is part of the source of my emotional eating stress at present; also the fact that my husband hasn't had a job in about 4 years, nor is likely to get one (he's 55, a competent programmer/chef/nursery(garden) person).

I was obese all my life. My mom died when I was 13 of a cerebral hemorrhage and I still haven't gotten over it. My surrogate mom, a dear friend, also died of gastric cancer at the age of 73, still working like a fiend to support her family. She never had a moment's respite. I'm grieving for her, too.

My sister died of breast cancer at age 66. She was married to a physician for part of her life, and she never had a mammogram. Ditto grief.

Besides the grief thing, I never could fit into "normal" society. My sisters were 15 and 17 years older than me. I never had a childhood or adolescence psychologically. Being older than me, my sisters were entrenched in the 50s idea of "looking pretty to catch a man". I couldn't get into that whole mindset.

Anyway, I struggled with weight issues until the age of 50, when, after taking Buddhist precepts, one of which, like the Ten Commandments, involves no killing, I became a vegetarian. I lost 47 pounds. I had also been going to a gym for about 10 years for rehab from an accident in which I had been run over while walking.

I was in excellent health physically but not mentally. I got fired from a job (for not fitting in, of course) and got a new job, with great people but very boring and VERY food oriented. I gained back about 20 pounds total. I also resumed nasty eating habits and bingeing like a fiend late at night. It was my way of giving human existence the finger.

I lost about 5 of those pounds, down to 115. Then I discovered No S and here I am.

I am on Day 25. I have not binged once. Nothing except toothpaste and floss (cinnamon flavored :)) go in my mouth after about 1800 at night. I have reduced my caffeine consumption to 3 cups a day and now am attempting to wean myself off it completely to see if it makes a dent in my menopausal cystitis. I also use HabitCal to track my PT back exercises and recently, to curb my hatred and anger toward my mother-in-law.

My gratitude toward Reinhard and his system is infinite.

3 very large bows,

f
Last edited by fkwan on Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flipturn

Post by flipturn » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:30 pm

This is really a wonderful idea, Bright. I am an exiled New Yorker currently living in Cincinnati (sigh). Some of the cities that my husband's career has taken us to: Athens, Montreal, Tel Aviv, Zurich (for about two years each) Paris (once for two years, then again for ten, and Manhattan, where we lived for nine years. It has been crazy, fun, painful and at times depressing. Sometimes I have worked, others not. My parents have been dead my entire adult life but would be very diasappointed in me for not having had a stellar career like my older brother. Can't you tell just from that that I have had eating disorders since childhood?

I had a stillborn and several miscarriages and am grateful to have a daughter whom I adore. I made it a point never to mention the word 'diet' in front of her; my husband and I discussed that in German when she was in the same room. Unfortunately, she caught on that the German word for 'thinner' sounds an awful lot like 'dinner'. You are talking about food, she would guess. In any event, it wasn't until we had moved to Cincinnati that she came home from school and asked the meaning of some word she overheard girls talking about at school, 'diet'. She has wonderful eating habits.

I had a malignant tumor last year and underwent surgery, radiation and chemo. In January I was operated again and seem to be fine. I hated to go to the internist and be weighed and avoided it as much as possible. The ultimate irony was that once a week I would have to be weighed by the radiation and medical oncologists' nurses twice on the same day, and one scale was heavier than the other! After the second surgery, my surgeon told me that my recovery would be extremely painful. The radiated area, from which the second tumor was removed, contains more nerve endings than any other part of the body. I was in so much pain that I used it as a license to binge. Ten pounds later, here I am.
Last edited by flipturn on Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buffalo Gal

Post by Buffalo Gal » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:55 pm

All I can say is wow!

I am 50 (turning 51 in July). I am currently single and live with my son (he's 25 and will not leave home) and two very cute Jack Russell Terriors.

My weight started piling up about 20 years ago ; I quit smoking, was dealing with a hyperactive child and a paraplegic spouse who eventually died of cancer. You know I have never written this down before and now that I have, it's no wonder I looked for comfort from food.

I love to cook and am really good at it. I also love to read. I am very involved in my church (missed seeing the Pope) and have great friends.

Life has settled quite a bit from 20 years ago so at 5'5" and 273 lbs I thought is was time to take the control back.

I have lived in Florida and Texas but there's no place like home...the north east.

Buffalo Gal
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

mjn

Post by mjn » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:12 pm

I live in Iowa on a farm. I am 48,married, with 2 grown children. I am a first time grandma this past year.!! My family is the joy in my life. I am an LPN, and I work in an Elementary school where I take care of a special needs child. I currently weigh 155 lbs. and would like to get to 141. I have weighed 188 in the past. I love simplicity and the No S diet caught my attention right away. I feel better at a lower weight and I want to get to a point where food is fuel and not obsess over it. I also want to establish a routine of walking daily and have that become a part of my life. I would like to encourage others in their weight loss struggles and hope I can be an example for them. I think I will buy some more No S diet books and leave them at work and church.

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:26 pm

Bright – thanks for starting this thread. It's amazing to read all your stories, so much courage!

I'm 27, live in New York City, single but have dated my boyfriend for 3yrs.
and I have a dog. I've lived in Pennsylvania, Ohio and France.

I started No-s a month ago, and the first week was the best week of my life since I was a kid. Exercise has always been a big part of my life (swimmer in high school, aerobics instructor in college, and still a yoga instructor) But it's the food part that I've never worked out, and now I feel like there's hope!
Thank-you for all your posts!
Last edited by Amyliz on Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amyliz

START: 03/30/08 - 158- 161lbs range
Current: 145-148lbs range
On 12/22/09 I saw 145 on the scale for the first time in 7 years!

CatholicCajun

Post by CatholicCajun » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:28 pm

Ok my turn. I am 49 and will be 50 on August 22. I have been married for 31 years and we have one grown son who is married 5 years, we have several grand cats and dogs. We own a (B)Rat Terrier who is more spoiled than my son ever was, did not think that was humanly possible. My husband and I own 3 Christian stores, have been in business since 1991.

I went to TOPS about 10 years ago, managed to take off 90 pounds and managed to gain it all back plus extra.

As I posted some place else, the WW magazine was like a drug to me, always hoping to find the next perfect diet, well I think I have. I really like this kind of eating. My husband and I were in a group that promoted eating what you wanted as long was you were hungry and stopped when you were ful, it was also incorporated with the teachings of the Catholic Chruch, I loved the spiritual side of the program, but the eating "rules" were not strict enough, it that makes sense. The No S is free, but has limitations.

It is very hard keeping weight off being Cajun with all our seafood and gumbos, but now I can enjoy them in moderation. I feel that this program is such a blessing!!

God BLess.
Je'sus, j'Ai Confiance dans Vous

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:55 pm

Hey CatholicCajun....my birthday is August 22nd too!!!! :D Yay us...I'll be 45 this year.
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:26 pm

Thanks, Bright...this is a good idea.

I'm 59, lived in Eastern PA my whole life. Married at 19, (the first time), 2 sons. Chris is 39; he and his beautiful wife Kristin live in Orlando. They have 2 sons, Kyle who is almost 11 and Connor who is 8. In 2002 an adorable little baby girl, now named Kacie, was born in China and Chris and Kristin chose her for their daughter. She is amazing. David will be 38 in August and he and his beautiful wife Michelle just had their first son, Elias, on Jan. 8, 2008. Dave and Michelle are teachers, Chris is a CPA and Kristin is a Pharmacist with Costco. Dave and Michelle live in Pittsburgh, PA. My mother lives in a small town in PA.

I was married for almost 29 years when my ex said to me one Saturday, "I haven't been happy for the past 15 years". What??? He couldn't tell me sooner???? Duh! I guess I thought the cheating on me part had been over. Double Duh! Very long story short, I moved 3000 miles to get away from his controlling behavior and mental and emotional abuse. At the time I worked for a brokerage firm and had my Series 7 and Series 63 licenses. There's something to be said for distance, we have a better relationship now and he's remarried as well (God bless her).

I've had more jobs than even I can remember. Once my ex said to me that my obit would list my name and say, "Nice person, too many jobs to list." He was right :)

I met my husband Fred at a country-western dance in Ventura County. He taught me to two-step. That was in 1997 and we've been together ever since. He really is my soul mate.

In 2002 I had major surgery, in 2003 I was laid off from my job, in 2004 my dad died and that's when I discovered I had fibromyalgia. I've had a love affair with food my whole life, but I didn't get fat until after the birth of my second son. I've lost lots of weight, and gained it all back and then some. I had to sort through a lot of baggage to understand my reasons for overeating. Let me tell you, snacking was a huge part of that.

I got involved with a wellness company, Nikken, in 2005 because I could barely walk due to sciatic and FMS issues. I put a pair of magnetic insoles in my shoes and within 2 hours I noticed an improvement. I've been sort of "playing" at that business but this year have gotten very serious about building it. I'm tired of people telling me they won't hire me because I'm: too old, over-qualified, too expensive to hire, ad nauseum. I'm tired of having someone else control 40 hours/week of my life. I'm tired of an earnings ceiling, so I got serious about my home-based business.

Like everyone else I've had my share of misfortune and tragedy, but I've also worked hard to become a better person, and I like who I am. I like who I am so much I decided that my "packaging" could use an overhaul and just when I was looking for another "miracle" along came Reinhard's article in Woman's World.

Fred and I are owned by a gorgeous "rescued" Golden Retriever and a guinea pig (both spoiled rotten). My idea of a perfect day is to spend it curled up with several good books. I'm learning how to quilt, I love to cook, I love the ocean and going out in the bay on our tandem kayak. Living in California has been a dream come true for me. I also enjoy dancing, writing and making people laugh. Helping others is my mission, and I can be more helpful with a healthier body. I have a very off-the-wall sense of humor and have done some very strange things in my life; I hope to continue to do more.

Diane
Visit www.MaximizeYourWellness.com
(Ok, a shameless plug). I'm just here to learn how to say No to the S!

lindalou

Post by lindalou » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:05 pm

Hi everyone
4th week on the No S
I just turn 54 March 31
Live in Columbia Mo.

I am 5'0 starting weigh 137lbs as of today 135.5lbs I never had a weigh problem (used to 85 lbs) and could eat anything I wanted that all change when I was about 40 or 41 I quit smoking, went thru the change of life. I just wanted to eat all the time and craved sweets.So now I have about 30lbs to lose

I have one son and 5 grandkids.

patticake

Post by patticake » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:22 am

Hi, this was a great idea. I have enjoyed reading about fellow travelers.
Here goes- I am going to be 53 on May 25. I have 1 husband 2 kids in college and two old kitties. When I tossed the Women's World into my cart I had already told myself I was done with every new thing that came down the pike in regards to dieting but I had a weak moment and lo and behold eureaka --NoS to the rescue. I am on day 22 and all I can say is WOW! I packed up my diet books tossed out all of the stuff I have been saving from WW, Jenny, La, etc. etc..
One of the biggest habits I stopped was eating at night and in the middle of the night. I haven't weighed myself much but my clothes feel better and my energy level is better.
I live in Pittsburgh, PA. I am a cleaning lady and the middle of seven kids yikes ! I always tried to make everybody happy and now I feel it is my turn. I hope you all have a great journey and remember we are in this together. Thanks for all of the great posts. Patti :)

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:31 am

Wow! BrightAngel, like the rest here, just want to say thank you, this is a great idea. What a wonderful group of people we have here.

Let's see. I am 45, live in SoCal, very happily married for ten years (May 5) and I pitter and patter in the arts. My little projects. Prior I was a CPA/Accountant/Auditor/IS Project manager and I ate and drank a lot :lol: I have the sweetest little kitty kat.

My mother is passed away, and my maternal grandmother. Both of whom I adored. Other than those two I was pretty much out in left field while my family was at the train station ... or at least on some other plane. My dad is the only one living I still keep in touch with although we are not close.

I began to gain weight when I was 15ish? My highest weight was the end of my freshman year in college I was 161 pounds and wore mexican dresses the entire summer.

I sobered up and quit smoking at twenty-four by going to AA for about two years. When I had had enough I had a talk with God and said something like ... please don't make it so I drink just so I can stop going to those meetings :lol: I stopped going to the meetings and I still don't drink,

Did tons of therapy ... the loss of my mother was very traumatic. ANyway ... some where in my early thirties I started keeping my weight somewhere between 119-135 although one time it slid to 107. For the last about 17 years that is where i have been stuck up and down up and down binging and restricting ...but also continuing to do a LOT of emotional healing along the way.

I love ideas, good stories, interesting lives, and good conversation. Oh yes, and don't forget good food.

I really beleive NO S will be as dramatic for me as my sobriety. That was one of the biggest turning points in my life. I truly believe that this is going to be another one ... and it's about damn time! many thanks to Reinhard for handing me the key to that last door in my inner jail cell!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

CatholicCajun

Post by CatholicCajun » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:19 pm

OrganicGal wrote:Hey CatholicCajun....my birthday is August 22nd too!!!! :D Yay us...I'll be 45 this year.
Well good for us!! How wonderful to have someone on the same "diet" and have the same birthday as me. Have a blessed day.
Je'sus, j'Ai Confiance dans Vous

sweetsong32

Post by sweetsong32 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:34 pm

Hi everyone!
I will be 39 on July 28th. I teach 4th grade at a private Christian school in South Georgia. I have a wonderful teenage (yes, I used the two words together...there is sucha thing as wonderful teen! lol) daughter who is 16. We have 3 beautiful cats. Two Persians; baby who is 7 and Pookie who is 3 and one mutt cat; Jack who is 2.

In December, my father, who is in ill health, had to move in with me and my daughter. I am often making runs to the Veteran's Hospital er. The latest was this week when he was admitted for 4 days. He is home again. He has a lot of health issues.

I never married. I have raised my daughter alone.
My parents are divorced; mom has disappeared with her new husband, havent heard from her in over 2 years. (more to that story but to personal to share here)

I have 2 brothers who live in a different city.

I love my teaching job. I cant imagine doing anything else.

Hobbies: I LOVE TO READ! I also love to scrapbook.
"Teaching that impacts is not head to head but heart to heart."

Shirls

Post by Shirls » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:53 pm

Clever Bright Angel :D I enjoyed those bios. Here's mine:
I am 62, married, mother of four and grandmother of six. I am a credit manager and have been with the same company for 34 years. It's good fun being an "elder", you get to scare the hell out of everybody. :wink: Plus all those who scared me have retired.
I love to read and to listen to unabridged audiobooks and to write fiction. No I'm not published but after reading Noel's blog I'm feeling inspired to clean up those first drafts sitting on my hard drive and go for it 8)
I've been on and off diets since I was sixteen and got to a quite acceptable size in my gym going days. Then the weight started creeping on again. I became a vegetarian (lacto-vegetarian) ten years ago and all was well until I started ODing on cheese and chocolate. In between meals, naturally. I kept reading that a vegetarian should eat more often and this I believe was my undoing. So the NoS diet sounds exactly what I need.
Don't wait for the storm to be over - learn to dance in the rain.

Karma rex

Greetings from Alaska!

Post by Karma rex » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:42 am

Hi, I live on a small island in southeastern Alaska and it rains a lot! I am a 57 year old grandmother and Safety Manager for a very large seafood processing plant. I also teach yoga and am an active EMT with our local fire department. I'm 5'9" and when I started the no S last week I weighed 218. I was always thin when I was young and didn't gain weight until my mid 30's when I quit smoking and drinking. The weight has come on over the years and I have tried many weight loss programs from Atkins to WW. I did well on WW and lost around 30 pounds. Then my husband died and a year later my grandkids moved in with me and the pounds slowly came back on. I eat fairly healthy but just too much. This eating plan sounds like a sane way to eat and I made it through my first week with no problem and enjoyed eating some sweets on my S days. I know much of my problem was I felt I had to eat every couple of hours so it became a habit to do that and then when I would try to not eat much during the day I would eat way too much for dinner because I was so hungry. This has been great. I eat 3 good meals a day (just like I did growing up!) and do feel hungry before meals and somewhat before I go to bed, but hey, thats OK I don't need to eat everytime I think I am hungry. I do water aerobics and yoga and my job involves some walking around which keeps my fairly active. I need to add some weight resistance, may try shovelglove! I will post again after I weigh in after May 11 (21 days). I think this forum is great I come here almost every night to get encouragement and to see how everyone is doing. Thanks for all your posts. Rexanne

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:26 pm

Nice idea.

I'm a "veteran," but will do an intro too.

I come from a family with a lot of diabetes and overweight. After college, I was well on my way to being just like everyone else in my family, until a friend suckered me into doing a diet with her. It was a straight low-calorie diet, PLUS exercise (defined as a 20 minute session of any kind of movement that raised your pulse - 7/week).

We both lost weight. Somewhere along the line, it was like a switch clicked over in my body. I liked being (relatively) active. I liked being a healthy weight. Who knew?

I maintained a healthy weight until my 40's. In my 20's, I mostly swam and walked for exercise. In my 30's and early 40's, I mostly did aerobics and walked. I usually exercised an hour a day at least 4 days a week, often more. I also watched the scale and cut back whenever I saw it rise. As I describe it now, I maintained "an armed truce with food." It kind of worked, though. I always felt that I had to work harder than most folks to keep the weight off, but I had more incentive seeing the health issues in my family that are mostly weight-related.

In my 40's, I had a baby - a "happy surprise" after we'd given up on kids. Also a triple-whammy in terms of weight - baby weight, slowing mid-life metabolism, and no time to exercise at the levels I used to. I lost weight through Weight Watchers (I've got the key!)... then gained about half back. Then lost again...not sure how many times that repeated. It was going up again when I found No-S. And I was mentally exhausted with WW. It does work, but it takes a LOT of attention, which I don't have to spare. (I also think it builds bad mental habits about food... all the "mental chatter" as I bargain with myself over points is crazy-making.)

I like No-S a lot because I feel that "I've made peace with food" and have also learned to enjoy eating again. I'm now 51, and do Pilates and Yoga and walk for exercise. I do have to be pretty strict with No-S for it to work for me, given my current level of activity and metabolism - but I'm glad to let go of most of the anxiety/guilt around food.
Last edited by kccc on Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:41 pm

Why not?

I'm Noel Figart, and I'm 39, a mom, a writer, computer instructor and alternative lifestyle activist.

I've dieted all my life, though when I look back at pics of myself as a teenager, I have to wonder why I bothered at that age! I thought I was fat because of the height/weight charts. I wish they'd thought to do a body fat percentage analysis (almost unheard of in the 1980s) because in retrospect, I was lean, just strong as all hell. (We heated our home with a woodstove and did not use mechanical devices to split the wood, nor to stack it or get it into the house. For a kid who grew up in an upper middle class suburb, I did an extraordinary amount of manual labor).

When I was in my teen, my mother lost about 90 lbs on the Diet Center (TM) diet and bought the sub-franchise in our town. In my late teens and early twenties, I was managing it with/for her. When I married, I got another job, because I was sick of the pressure to stay thin. Mom soon closed the business because she didn't have good full-time help.

So life went on with this and that, and gave up on diet and exercise mostly. I lost about 50 lbs Aktinsing, and gained about 35 back. I had some great things happen to me and some bad things happen to me, and these days a little sanity and clarity sounds good.

But you're not prying me out of the swimming pool or the weight room. I find both activities immensely satisfying.

Jamiebf

Post by Jamiebf » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:47 am

Thanks Bright Angel, It is great getting to know everyone.

I am 48 years old and live in Elmria, NH. I was married to my first husband for 25 years and we had 3 sons together. We diorviced years ago and needless to say he is a much better X husband than he was a husband. He is a wonderful father to our sons. My boys are 31, 28 and 25. Two are married with 3 of my wonderful grandchildren. The other lives in AZ, way too far away but he loves it. My husband and I married 8 years ago, he is the love of my life. He has two daughter and a son. His daughters are married and have 4 of our other grandchildren. His son lives in Philly and loves it there.
I have been dieting since I was about 14. Thought even then I was fat, and I was so not fat. poor body image way back then. I am 5'3" and I have weighed 197 at one point. Last year I lost 35 pounds on the Michael Thermon six week body make over, (six weeks my ass). It took 4 months then another 2 months not following it completely. Anyway Idon't know how I did it for so lone. I never stayed on a diet very long. I have been on so many. In November I started gainning it back. I wieghed 171 the last time I saw my scale, ( which is in hiding since I started noS). I am just so happy to find something that lets me be free of diet obsessing. It is a process but after 28 days I think it is the one for me.

Jamiebf

Post by Jamiebf » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:48 am

Sorry that was Elmira NY not NH

donnasue316

Post by donnasue316 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:15 pm

Hello! My name is Donna, widowed with 1 daughter and I'm 50 years old. I have fought weight it seems for most of my life or so I thought(I look back at pictures in high school and college and I actually looked skinny). For the past 5-6 years I've been working on losing weight. I'm a big fan of walking. I did TOPS for a while and did pretty good, however, with a major move and my husband getting cancer I pretty much put alot back on. I am now back on track and can say after being on the NO S Diet since 4/7/08 I 've lost almost 5 lbs. Yes it's been slow but that is the way I want it! Thanks for the diet! I love it. :D

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:39 pm

I'm bumping this post back to the top, because we've a lot of new members
who might like to introduce themselves,
and/or get to know some of us better.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Julie V

Post by Julie V » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:08 pm

Hi everyone... I'm brand new here. My name is Julie and I'm 33 years old, will be 34 on Saturday. I live in Michigan with my husband and my 7-year-old son, Jarrison.

I see a lot of my story in all the stories here... overweight as a child, it got worse when I went to college. I went on Weight Watchers when my husband and I decided to have a child. Lost 50 pounds and then got pregnant. Six years later, I had to lose the same 50 pounds again, and did, again on Weight Watchers. Here I am now, 5'2" and 155 pounds. After losing those 50 pounds in about eight months, I've been in a holding pattern for about a year.

Technically I "should" lose about 20 more pounds, down to about 135, to be on the high end of "normal" for my height, but for me personally, I'm happy in the 150-155 range, at least for now. This is what I weighed when I graduated from high school. I'm looking for a way to maintain my weight loss that doesn't involve being a "calorie accountant." While WW worked incredibly well for me to lose, I can't imagine living the rest of my life counting points for every single thing I eat.

This is my third day of No S. So far, so good. Some of my meals have been much more than I normally eat, just to make sure I don't get hungry in between meals. I guess this is pretty normal. So far, what I really enjoy, is just writing that single word "success" in my journal, rather than every little thing I ate and a points value for it.

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you!

gingercake

Post by gingercake » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:29 pm

Welcome, Julie. You've pretty much described me exactly, only without the kid. 5'2", lost 50 lbs. mostly on WW, am currently about 155 and okay with staying here if I'm healthy and happy and fit and not obsessed with food or dieting. I would like to lose another 10-12 in the next year, but really, right now I'm feeling like "this is my size and I'm okay" and just enjoying the non-accounting of No S and the freedom from anxiety about food. My philosophy is that I've stayed the same weight the last year while being totally anxious about it, I can certainly be happy staying the same weight for the next year and NOT have the anxiety.

If you've been on WW, you might see a little uptick in your weight as you're starting out with No S, but that will level off and settle back down soon. And yes, it's normal to be eating more at first.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:09 pm

I've just blabbed on about my story in a recent post, but I'll copy the relevant bits again here. :D
I am not sure of my exact starting weight before NoS as I don't own scales but my doctor weighed me a while before I started at 183 lbs with a BMI of 30 (just over the border into obese - not somewhere I was prepared to stay). That totally surprised me as I hadn't realised things had gotten that bad.
I have been overweight most of my adult life but I had whacked on another 30lbs in the last few years because of a couple of major life changes. Firstly, I adopted my daughter as an infant in 2001. At the same time I started a new and incredibly demanding 'career'. It all happened as I was slowing down metabollically. At the same time I suddenly found that, being a single parent, I could no longer take my usual exercise. I was basically keeping myself going through the sleep deprivation, etc, - and comforting myself through the more difficult spots - by shovelling in sugar, fat and caffeine by the bucket load.
I started No S half way through November last year. I suspect I had already lost a little bit before I started - so I am estimating my starting weight as about 178lb (certainly no less than that). I have been fairly strict on NoS during the week but it's taken me some time to get the weekend permasnacking under control (it's a work in progress ). I've also had lots of S days including a week's vacation in April that was entirely made up of S days. I also have had to find ways to fit in exercise, mostly during work time - and I've been building that up to 3 or 4 regular walks per week.
My weight is now down to 163lbs - that's down about 15lbs from my estimated starting weight (and 20lbs down from the doctor's weigh-in). I'm v happy with that as it is about 1/3 or more of the way along to my weight loss and fitness goal. I'd like to lose about another 30lbs over the next year or two. NoS seems like the way to go for me, so I'm very grateful to have found this site - and to Reinhard for setting it up!

12catcrazy

Post by 12catcrazy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:24 am

Another brand newbie here!

Unlike some of you here, I was thin growing up and until I hit 35. I never thought I'd EVER have a weight problem, as everyone in my family was thin. I was lucky enough to have a muscular body that always looked as if I worked out (even when I didn't) and I could eat what I wanted and not put on weight.

That all changed when I was laid off from my job in Manhattan, and became very depressed. I was one of the early Gunea Pigs for Paxil, and between taking that and sitting around a very small apartment cooking alot, my weight went from 115 lbs to 150 lbs in about 5 months!

That was 15 years ago and I've never been thin since then with the exception of when I developed asthma out of the blue and had to be on 3 medications to breathe. One of the medications gave me such constant heartburn that it killed my appetite for awhile. At that point, I went down to 125 lbs but when the asthma let up and I could stop using the inhalers, my weight slowly crept up again, and by this past Christmas, I was tipping the scales at 160 lbs to my horror.

I got a major health scare this past Feb. I was carrying 40 lbs of record albums up a flight a stairs at a local university (I host a radio program there) and started to get the symptoms of a heart attack. My heart started pounding, my chest hurt, I got pain in my left arm.... with all of this, I still did my radio show and prayed that I wasn't going to be the first dj there to drop dead while on air! About a half an hour into the show, a friend of mine called and I told him what was going on, and he came to the station and insisted on taking me to the emergency room at the university hospital. Long story short: I didn't have a heart attack; and I'm being treated for GERD (which is a miserable thing to have), though I'm not very complient when it comes to taking my medication due to side effects.

Anyway, I figured that this was my "wake up call" to start taking care of my body. I have lost 15 lbs since being in the hospital, and would like to lose about 10 to 15 more. Besides never thinking I'd have a weight problem, I never thought I'd be reading diet books either. There seems to be so much conflicting information presented in the books and what is good food in one book is akin to swallowing some dire poison in another. OMG if you start looking at some of the vegetarian or vegan based "health" diet books - talk about putting the fear of God into you - makes me think that some of those authors went to Catholic school and got taught by Nuns.

I'm curious about Mastering Leptin also, but looked into this site after reading a posting on the T-Tapp forum. No S sounds do-able and doesn't try and make one feel like they're being damned to Hell (or at least doomed to a heart attack or stroke) if one doesn't give up meat, white flour and sugar totally. I've tried to be a vegetarian, but got such terrible meat cravings that I couldn't stick with it. And while I'm not a snacker, I love my sweets and that and restaurant food are probably a large part to blame for my excess weight (as well as menopause and lack of exercise).

I've never committed to any kind of "diet" before, but I'm here to give "No S" a try, and this forum looks like a great place, and I hope to become a regular poster here.
Commit a random act of kindness today!

BigE

Post by BigE » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:20 pm

I'm 40 years old, married with a 7-year-old daughter. I've taught third grade in a Catholic school for 14 years, and this year I'm making a big change to being a public school teacher (2nd grade). My husband also has recently changed jobs. He hated his job, so switched to one that's very exciting but temporary. So it looks like he'll probably be looking for a new job at the end of July. We also have a new standard Poodle we adopted from Poodle Rescue!

Anyway, I'm giving all that info to explain that life could get very stressful in the next several months (new job, husband unemployed) so I have high hopes that the no s diet will be managable. Now to the "diet" history:

I'm 5'3" and small-boned. In high school I was underweight -- an actual 98 pound weakling. Even though I was skinny then, my eating habits were horrible. My mom was obsessed with dieting and "healthy eating" so I would eat junk when she wasn't around (lunch every day was Ho-Hos, fries, and a chocolate milkshake -- gotta love the school cafeteria system). Throughout my 20s and early 30s my weight has gone up slowly but steadily. I really hate the whole concept of a diet (because of my mom) but I have tried a few: I read Jane Brody's nutrition book, and I followed Strong Women Stay Slim for a while, and Change One (I think it's from Reader's Digest?). All of those diets worked temporarily to lose 10 pounds or so, but nothing was permanent.

When I had my daughter I didn't actually gain very much weight in terms of fat. I developed pre-eclampsia and my daughter was born a full 3 months early. I ate horribly, and wasn't really aware of how much weight I was gaining because I was so upset about my daughter and still wearing my maternity clothes. Again, I managed to lose around 10 pounds temporarily and then I'd gain it back. [btw, she is my "miracle child" -- no physical, mental or developmental problems whatsoever except for ironically being underweight and pretty short. But I believe she has genetics to blame for being skinny and short, not being a preemie]

I think my all-time highest weight was 150 -- I don't like to weigh myself when I'm overweight! I know that my size 14 clothes were getting pretty tight. That's when I took drastic measures (for me) and cut out sweets entirely. That had the side benefit of cutting out snacks as well because all I wanted to snack on was sweets. Slowly I started adding more rules to my regimen: whole grains at breakfast and lunch, an hour on the exercise bike 5-6 times a week, only one snack a day, lifted hand weights three times a week (the legacy of Strong Women Stay Thin!). I lost the most weight I ever have (from 150ish to 110; size 14 to size 2). I lost so much weight that people starting to say, "Oh you're getting too thin now. You're not going to lose any MORE weight are you?" I felt really great and I was in good health, but I started worrying that I needed to figure out how to maintain my weight. Unfortunately I couldn't find any information on that and I'd never thought that far ahead -- I never imagined I would be capable of getting that thin again. So I just started "cheating" on my rules, and it just sort of slid into where I am now up to 146 pounds, not exercising any more, sneaking food all over the place (before no s at least).

So, I'm hoping to keep the "good stuff" from former weight loss efforts: lift weights again, exercise (but only 5 days a week and I'm starting slowly); no sweets (except on s days); keep up with whole grains at 2 meals where possible. From no s, I'm hopeful that the bulletin board and habitcal will give me the outside support and sense of accountability I need to maintain permanent changes. Also, I'm hopeful that the s day approach will prevent me from sliding into the passive-aggressive "I'm just going to sneak some food" attitude that's been going on a VERY long time.

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:32 pm

Welcome BigE! I have responded to some of your posts already on the boards, but it's nice to get to know you a little better! I enjoyed reading your little introduction. I believe that NoS will fit very nicely into the next couple of months when stress is at an all-time high for you! At least it will be one thing that you can control. It also brings such a great deal of peace with it, at least for me and some others that I've heard mention the same thing. A little peace in one area will be perfect for you!
Don't worry about teaching in a public school! I've been in one for 18 years and am still around to tell about it! :lol:
Check in often and let us know how you're doing!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

jenglish

Great Idea, Hello I Am Glad to Meet You

Post by jenglish » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:59 pm

I feel I was either a writer in a previous life or I missed my calling in this one! I find that my time and my desire are now juxtaposed, enabling me take advantage of ways to develop my creative writing skills. Like all writers, I aspire to see my work in print. I currently have two short stories scheduled for publication this summer.

I am genre non-specific. As an avid bibliophile, I will read almost anything you put on my plate. I tend to view romance novels, vampires and period pieces like I do rhubarb. I politely push them to the side, but presented in a palatable way, rhubarb pie perhaps, I have been known to enjoy a piece or two.

I am blessed with patience, tolerance and acceptance. However all of those traits run thin in the face of the kind of ignorance that refuses to learn. I love to teach. Teaching, for me is sharing any and everything that is positive in my life. So, I share smiles, and knowledge and kind words and laughs and warmth. I have found that the more I share, the more I have the opportunity to grow and learn from others.

My favorite color is Red. This did not evolve; it has been with me since I was a child. I have a sense of humor and I wear it every day. I am a cat person who adopted two dogs, a long coat Chihuahua and a Chihuahua Papillion mix. Shhhh, don’t tell them they are not brothers or that they are not my sons.

I WRITE!! Writing spawns my interests in movies: music; reading; I collect Giraffes, don't know why. Collecting 57 Chevy's or antique diamonds would be more lucrative but... Giraffes are it for now.

I serve as a volunteer, on the Executive Committee, for an organization that seeks to empower youth through teaching the arts, entrepreneurial skills and financial responsibility. I help organize and produce the fundraiser, a concert that brings a Jazz, R&B or blues legend to town for a yearly performance. I also teach creative writing.

I travel as much as my non-stimulated, personal economy will allow. While I have traded Cairo and Paris for Pigeon Forge and Isle of Palms, I still discover treasures wherever I go.
This is NOT a diet, for me, it is a LIFESTYLE CHANGE

5.16.09: 210 pounds - - - 06/16/2009 : 200 pounds
1 month / 10 pounds

GOAL 140

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:49 pm

I am the eternal optimist - the one wearing the rose colored glasses.
I am a lover of life and a lover of fun.
I love to laugh.
I am a Libra by birth and it fits me since I have always been a peacemaker.
I avoid conflict when I can.
I am a believer in dreams and following them - you're never too old.
I am a learner and a teacher and get excited when I discover something new.
I like change, but not when it comes in huge doses.
I'm 58 and am 5"9" - don't like to disclose weight, but am 30 lbs. overweight.
I have been married to the same guy for almost 38 years.
I have three children - two sons and one daughter. My oldest son is married with three children ages 5, 3, and almost 2. He is a *mister mom*
My daughter is married with two children ages almost 2 and 2 weeks!
My youngest son is not married yet.
I absolutely adore my children, grandchildren and husband. Can't forget my son-in-law and daughter-in-law!
I am a cat person and have a very spoiled cat named Cinder Ella.
I am a middle school teacher - 7th grade for 18 years - Language Arts. I work with struggling readers. I worked right out of college, but then became a stay-at-home mom when my children came along.
I play the piano taking lessons as a child for 4 years. I restarted piano lessons again two years ago.
I also love to read and Jason Wright, NY Times bestselling author is a personal friend of mine.
Okay - that's probably enough!
Well...that's me.

Mimi
:D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

BigE

Post by BigE » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:31 pm

Mimi, thanks for the welcome. I'm really quite anxious about starting my new job. My principal told me that I beat out a lot of other candidates and he has a repuation for being pretty particular. This should make me feel really good, but instead I'm worried that I won't live up to his expectations. There's so much to learn -- much more of an emphasis on collecting data and assessment.

As for hobbies (which I forgot to mention): bike riding with my daughter (Urban Biker!); playing games of all sorts -- LOVE word games and card games of all varieties; origami; string figures; reading -- mostly contemporary novels (I was an English major and I've been a book club member since 1991); don't know if this qualifies as a hobby but I'm a major fan of the TV show Lost.