Any over 50-ish women having success with this?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

fivefoot2eyseofblue

Any over 50-ish women having success with this?

Post by fivefoot2eyseofblue » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:23 pm

Hi All,
I am a veteran yo-yoer--have gained and lost the same 15 pounds over the past 35 years (or so). My last yo was this past year when my son became ill. I became mildly anorexic and my metabolism (already in an aging nose-dive) went into starvation mode.
My son is better and my apetite returned, with a vengeance! So, I am looking for anyone, over 50, who has had success No S-ing. It seems almost too good to be true!

peetie

Post by peetie » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:52 pm

Hey, Five Foot 2, hot flash Peetie at your service! I am in my mid 50's (ouch!!!) and doing fabulously on this plan. I have a history, decades actually, of starving and bingeing and when I came here, I didn't even care about losing any weight....just wanted to maintain in a safe and sane fashion since my binges were actually starting to scare me!

Well, I lost 5 lbs, without even trying, and if I can maintain this, I will have gotten even more cluck for my buck than I was looking for. Actually, it didn't even cost me a buck, but when Reinhard writes his book I will happily repay him for services rendered.

This is good, but not too good to be true!

Peetie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:44 pm

Hi 5'2"!
When I read your posting name I kind of figured you weren't from the Brittney Spears generation...
I remember liking that corny song when my Grandparents sang it...
LOL..

Has anybody seen my gal????

Glad to hear your son is better now...
Good luck with exploring and forging a new relationship with your food.
I'm sure NOS will help you succeed!!!
Love,
Deb
(I am only 38 but thought I'd say hi anyway!!!)

Lethaltoenails

Post by Lethaltoenails » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:57 pm

Hello 5'2"-

I'm not quite 50 (just 44), but I have been on this for two weeks solid, starting week #3 and it's been great, I have lost about 2 pounds a week. I also exercise at least 3 times a week at Curves. That definitely helps in many ways.

Welcome!

Justin

Post by Justin » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:25 pm

Lethaltoenails wrote:Hello 5'2"-

I'm not quite 50 (just 44), but I have been on this for two weeks solid, starting week #3 and it's been great, I have lost about 2 pounds a week. I also exercise at least 3 times a week at Curves. That definitely helps in many ways.

Welcome!
That's really great, lethaltoenails!!! NoS lifestyle and exercise combination should work for all ages.

Welcome, fivefoot2eyseofblue!

J

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:42 pm

Hi 5 foot 2, eyes of blue!

I'm only 5 foot 1, with eyes of green, but I'm 53 and enjoying No-S-ing tremendously. I lost all my excess weight on another plan before I came here (5 years on the McDougall Program), but maintenance was getting really tough, for many reasons. Anyway, I've lost 4 pounds since starting here, which puts me at 104 pounds. I'm quite satisfied!

Hope you enjoy your No-S adventure as much as I am!

fivefoot2eyseofblue

Post by fivefoot2eyseofblue » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:23 pm

Thanks for the replies. I am encouraged by what all of you wrote and the support offered.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:44 am

Much belated welcome, fivefoot2eyseofblue. Pop in now and then to let us know how it's going. More evidence for the next 50 plusser.

iMarzz

Post by iMarzz » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:13 am

Hi fivefoot2eyesofblue,

I'm not 50+, but i am 49. I thought that would be close enough. I started on the first day of Fall (in preparation for next summer). Went shopping for jeans today and am down 2 sizes already.

The best part is it is totally mindless. Just follow the rules and enjoy your food! I am very happy because I don't have to count, calculate or micromanage anything. No stupid recipes to try to duplicate the food you really want, just have the food you really want at the appropriate time or day.

I also don't have to obcess over a "goal" weight. I'm just going to let this happen naturally and see where I end up.

I'm definitely a happy believer. Thanks Reinhard - Where were you 20 years ago?!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:17 am

Hi iMarzz,

I'm happy no-s is working so well for you.

20 years ago I was in 7th grade...

But just four years ago I was 40 pounds heavier than I am now.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:27 pm

Ha!
Reinhard,
Last night I was *this close* to writing I Marzz that you were in junior high school, in answer to her question.. LOL :lol:
I figured..

I Marzz,

I am really impressed with your 2 sizes down in only a month! You must be doing a pretty strict NoS, and I'm guessing you are doing some form of exercise..
Congrats!!!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

iMarzz

Post by iMarzz » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:44 pm

Thanks Reinhard, I know, I know you were in seventh grade. But I'm glad your here now.

Gratefuldeb67, I'm trying to make this as anti-diet, pro-new lifestyle as possible, so I've just added steps to my day wherever possible, including a 1 mile stroll. But I park at the back of the parking lot, take the steps, etc. You get the picture.

I love being able to have "S days," I love being quilt-free, best of all I love cooking again. I will never go on a "diet" again or waste another penny on diet books. Cookbooks rock!

Have a great day all.

Mary

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:52 pm

Yo Mary! "Deb's" just fine! LOL..
My screen name is a long one! LOL...

Yeah, I understand wanting to make this an Anti-diet... It is one so yeah, don't worry about it even remotely resembling anything else...
If you want to see an "Anti Diet" rant, I just posted one on Carrieann's thread.. LOL..

Glad it's working with ya!
Walking is great! I should be doing that now! LOL..

Peace,
8) Deb

Galemarie

Post by Galemarie » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:42 pm

Hi,

I can't report any success yet (this is my third day) but I am 59 years old, diabetic (type 2) and take insulin so I certainly don't expect the weight to pour off!!!

Speaking just for myself, I think that if I learn to do the plan properly and don't go crazy on S days, this will work, albeit slowly.

Best,
Galemarie

mondurvic

Granny here

Post by mondurvic » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:26 am

I've got all of you beat - I'm 63 and have been dieting since I'm 7. Despite having been on a diet for 56 years, I am still fat.

I am VERY excited about this N-S plan, and think you write beautifully, Reinhard. You have gone right to the heart of the matter.

I'm starting immediately, though I do have one central question to ask, and I expect to be active on the board. Maybe we should have a Seniors Section for those at our time of life?

"Central question" will be asked in my next post. I think only you can answer it, Reinhard, though I look forward to any input on the topic.

Judy

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:07 pm

Welcome, Judy.

Thanks for your kind words.

56 years of diets! Wow. You've kindled my competitive spirit. I will be very happy if no-s finally does it for you.

I'm happy to set up a seniors section. I'm just a little nervous that we don't have quite enough members yet to keep it going. Would anyone else here be interested in this? If anyone has strong feelings about this either way, let me know. I'm also afraid if I put up a seniors section someone else will want a juniors section, etc. and the board will get balkanized into little subgroups that ignore all the other little subgroups.

Reinhard

peetie

Post by peetie » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:20 pm

Judy,
I think I see Reinhard's point about our dividing into subgroups. It could end up like a cyber version of high school with a bunch of little cliques, and we could miss out on things going on in other groups while ensconsed in our own.

I really don't think our issues are all that different than those of the young un's (except for PMS), so would love to get to know you better in the context of the entire board.

I am 56, and I bet you and I could really walk down Memory Lane about all the diets we've seen come and go through the years. Remember Dr. Stillman and the water and protein diet? And we knew Atkins in the beginning when he wrote his first book!

I think you'll find this plan very doable and a huge improvement over the ups and downs of the traditional diet world.

Welcome!

Peetie

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:15 am

Despite being on a diet for 56 years....

...or because of being on a diet for 56 years?

I guess we could start a whole major arguement based on that one which would probably rage for the next 56 years and beyond!!!

Wow. Welcome to NOT being on a diet, Judy.

C.
CaroleJo

mondurvic

Post by mondurvic » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:19 am

No argument from me! I have no doubt that dieting has contributed to my excess weight. All those last-night-before-a-diet binges alone have been good for about 100 pounds. I know diets don't work - or rather they all do, as Reinhold points out; it's just that you can't stay on them.

My problem was that I didn't know what to do INSTEAD. NoS gives me an alternative, and hope.

Judith

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:14 am

If you want to start a Seniors section to the board, I would be happy to join you, if, that is, I could remember where it is from day to day.

mondurvic

Post by mondurvic » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:27 am

The others seemed iffy about doing this, though I think that as this site grows, they will have to have many sub-groups, along the lines of those at www.radiantrecovery.com.

BTW, Jan-Tz, I recognized your screen name as soon as I saw it. I'm an old McDougaller, too - in fact, I even went to his clinic when he was at St. Helena. Haven't been to his forum for years, and much as I think that way of eating has a lot to be said for it, sustainability doesn't seem to be one of its strong suits, at least not for me.

Nice to see you again!

Judith

RE Judith. I am, and always have been, Judy, but tonight I met a woman who was talking about the transformational possibilities of using one's birth name, not a nickname, and though I'm very uncomfortable with Judith (it's not "me", and feels haughty and stand-offish), I thought it's worth a try. Makes sense in a way, since there are other parts of the usual "me" I am wanting to jettison, too.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:18 pm

Hi Judith,

Welcome to the No-S Program! Good to see another McDougaller here!

I had very good results from the McD program, but (a) I got really tired of all the arguing on the vegsource board and (b) the chicken pox I had a couple of years ago left me with a reduced ability to digest starch, so I decided to leave both the board and the program. I have been very happy here. Everyone is friendly and supportive and the No-S Program is very sustainable and easy to do. I wish everyone were here!

I think your given name is lovely. Do you know the story of Judith in the Bible? Such a strong and admirable woman.

Well, anyway, have fun No-S-ing...only two more days and then you get a couple of S-days!

annette

5Ft 2, over 50

Post by annette » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:28 am

I just got on this moment. I am also, 5 ft. 2, eyes of blue, metabolism gone, boo hoo. While I don't want a seniors group, it's great to know that we are here. Is 55 a Senior??????
Annette. Home from Guatemala worrying like a good Grandma....

peetie

Post by peetie » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:35 am

Annette, How excited about the adoption. I got my first grandchild a year ago, and I recommend it highly!!!

I too didn't have a whole lot to lose when I got here, but wanted to lose the diet mentality and all that goes with it. This has been the best. It really frees you up to have a life instead of obsessing about dieting and bingeing.
This is the closest to normal eating I've done in decades.

Peetie

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:05 pm

Another over 50 here. :o

I was obese my entire life until age 50 when I applied the Buddhist concept of "no-self" to my own self. It means essentially that we're changing every minute, so at any point in time one can go from a binge-er to a Frenchwoman and never return. The first Buddhist precept is not to kill so I stopped eating most animals. I lost 47 pounds.

Unfortunately I never really addressed the underlying causes of my problem, frustration, boredom and stress, gained 17 of them back, and never realized that my whole attitude toward them had to be reprogrammed from scratch.

Now I do.

3 very respectful bows in Reinhard's direction.

f

Bumpkyns

Post by Bumpkyns » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:27 pm

mondurvic wrote:No argument from me! I have no doubt that dieting has contributed to my excess weight. All those last-night-before-a-diet binges alone have been good for about 100 pounds. I know diets don't work - or rather they all do, as Reinhold points out; it's just that you can't stay on them.

My problem was that I didn't know what to do INSTEAD. NoS gives me an alternative, and hope.

Judith
Now that is me with every letter! Couldn't have put it better myself! I'm also 50ish (just turned 51 actually) and don't mind either way about a 50ish section... does it even have to be official? We could just have our own little check-in thread going so that probably wouldn't start a bunch of clique stuff, or others wanting their own threads, etc... That way, we could check in with each other, share all our mid life crisis nonsense, then go on and tour/lurk/post on whatever else we want. Whatever works for yall works for me tho.
Yall are the best!!
Last edited by Bumpkyns on Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light!

Jesseco

Post by Jesseco » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:31 pm

Another AARP member reporting in! I am 51 and will enjoy seeing how other middle-agers, as well as young and old(er) do!

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:22 pm

I'm 50 and started NoS in mid-Nov. I had and have a lot of weight to lose. I'm not sure how much I've lost (haven't weighed myself for a couple of weeks) but despite a plateau in March I'm down about 11/12 pounds from my starting weight.So, I'm very happy. I dips me lid to Reinhard too.

I'm not that keen on a seniors section - not sure that I want to be hived off in that way. While I clearly ain't 20, I don't see myself as a senior yet and I don't want to miss out on the general discussions. I enjoy the banter on the general board. :D

iMarzz

Post by iMarzz » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:15 pm

Wow fkwan,

iMarzz here. How much reading have you done to dig up our post from August 2005?

Anyway still loving it.

Mary

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:29 pm

iMarzz wrote:Wow fkwan,

iMarzz here. How much reading have you done to dig up our post from August 2005?

Anyway still loving it.

Mary
I had some downtime at work. :)

I was hoping there'd be some menopausal ladies around because I can't seem to get the weight off and the bloating is driving me crazy. :( This is with good N days, lots of walking, weights and a 90% vegan diet.

(sigh)

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:23 pm

A friend of mine reckons that once you hit menopause even a stick of dynamite won't shift the weight...
hmmmm.....she could be right. :(
but I look at my very very old mum (90) and how slight she now is even though she can barely move past the front gate. Of course, she hardly eats these days. Not many calories are going in and not much is being burned up, but nevertheless she still gets littler and littler. :cry:
I know very old age is not the same and it has its own metabolic challenges (trying to build Mum up is impossible now), but it does make me think that even at menopause, weight loss really just requires sticking to moderate eating and an exercise plan consistently over time. It makes sense to me that if you are only eating enough food (3 plates full - nutritionally balanced) to keep a slim woman going, then eventually your body will settle at the weight of a slim woman. The weight might come off slowly, but it will come off. Well that's what I'm hoping anyway.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:23 pm

whoops, the message went through twice - so I deleted the contents of this second one.

virgina

I am wondering about the senior citizen and this plan.

Post by virgina » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:29 pm

:P I'm real excited about this plan. I have never heard of anything so easy (I know that loosing weight is not easy, no matter what plan is followed).
I'm just thankful for something that doesn't say what I have to eat or must not eat.
Sure am looking forward to having success.
Virginia :lol: