First S weekend....not so great....:(

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

lostnfound

First S weekend....not so great....:(

Post by lostnfound » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:05 pm

I posted under another discussion heading that I was down because I had gained 1/2 pound on my first week of no-S. I got lots of positive feedback and that helped. 1/2 pound is really not that big a thing, and I know I stuck to the diet religiously the whole week...altho I am aware that I did not eat a very balanced diet in the sense that there was a definite gap in the fruits and veggies category.
Okay, so I have now made it through 2 S-days. I failed miserably because I just kept eating! Wasn't hungry, didn't even really want what I was stuffing in my face...but just seemed like I HAD to eat it cause it was my only chance! Has anyone else experienced this?
However, all of life is a lesson. I learned 2 lessons this week:
1. Don't mess around with the schedule. Okay, it's Friday night. I just got off work and my husband met me for some shopping we needed to get done. After we were finished shopping he suggested going out to eat at a popular open buffet kinna restaurant. At first I declined. Explained I was on a diet that restricted me from eating except on weekends (I have not told anyone I'm on the no_S diet and he has never heard of it, so why go into detail?). Mind you, this particular restaurant has a wonderful huge dessert section! He said "Well, it IS a weekend." Good point. I said "Well I only want to indulge on Saturdays and Sundays." He said "Well why dont you eat today and tomorrow and skip Sunday?". Again, another good point. So....I went to the restaurant he chose, ate 3 big plates of food, one of them entirely filled with desserts, and was so uncomfortable when I left I seriously considered purging...!! Talked to myself..said Okay, Self, heres the lesson for today. Don't go changing the schedule around on a whim, and don't overdo it just because you can. I fully intended to make Saturday a No S-day just to get back on track. That leads me to Number 2 on my list....
2. Dont set yourself up for failure I woke up Saturday feeling surprisingly better but still determined to make it a self proclaimed N day. All it took was one trip past the candy dish in the livingroom to blow it. And then of course since its been blown, we were back to the this-is-my-last-chance-for-a-week mentality. (Okay boys and girls, can you say GET RID OF THE CANDY DISH!!!)
Today (Sunday) Im back to the N side of the diet. And although I am not any lighter I am a bit smarter. Guess it all just comes with practice huh? This is what is going to be different this week....
1. Don't overdo on S days. Plan ahead and know exactly what I am going to have as a treat and then stick to that plan, no matter what. S days means you can eat S-omething. Not E-verything!
2. Don't hate yourself for messing up. Thats a hard one for me...I always beat myself up over these things. But if I find myself considering stepping over the line again, I will concentrate on the feeling of being too full. I hate that bloated, groggy feeling. Seems like that in itself should help keep me on track! Another week, another opportunity to improve! I think I can...I think I can....I think I can...... :wink:
"Time's fun when you're having flies!"....Kermit the Frog

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:18 pm

My first S days were tough. Gourgeathons! Eventually though, you do figure out that it won't be that terrible during the week to not snack (I don't even like to snack on S days anymore, I feel bloaty and too "heavy" to do that).

Some S days are going to be crazy. It's all part of the learning process.

And during the N days, remember to balance your meals as best you can. Protein, a healthy carb (whole grain brn. rice, potato, etc) plenty of veggies (hold the cheese sauce!) a fruit (I do my fruit for b'fast and sometimes lunch and dinner too). Toss something in for calcium (cheese, yogurt, soy milk, etc) Really nourish your body so that it can be at its best. I find that when I eat well, I have far fewer cravings. And I can handle my afternoon anxiety w/out having to resort to a snack to "make me feel better" which, ultimately, it only makes me feel worse.

Hang in there, you can do it. And don't be afraid to be a little strict with your tummy toddler! :)
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

BrightAngel

Re: First S weekend....not so great....:(

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:35 pm

lostnfound wrote: Don't overdo on S days.
Plan ahead and know exactly what I am going to have as a treat
and then stick to that plan, no matter what.
S days means you can eat S-omething. Not E-verything!
Good one !!! :idea:
This is my second weekend on the No S diet,
and yesterday evening I overate on snacks and sweets.
BUT, it's not like it was the first day in my life that I did that.

Plan the snack or treat on S days?
Perhaps.... if somehow I could see that as being "free" to plan,
instead of just having another restricted day which holds a small exception.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Shirls

Post by Shirls » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:55 pm

It's my first S weekend and working out okay. So far the indulgences have been a couple of squares of dark chocolate after lunch and dinner yesterday and after lunch today. I've never been able to just have two squares before - something's happening to me :D
I'm planning a rhubarb crumble for dessert tonight - Sundays are the only days we eat dessert - what luck it's an S day.
Well it's the first week and I still have "beginner's mind" that lovely honeymoon feeling you get when you embark on something you're wildly enthusiastic about. But I'm in this for the long haul and the HabiCal is going to be an immense help all the way.
Reinhard, I see we have your book on Kalahari here in South Africa (it's like Amazon) so I'll be ordering it today. That's really lucky because ordering from Amazon from here involves all sorts of customs issues. I want to say how very grateful I am for this splendid site. 8)
Don't wait for the storm to be over - learn to dance in the rain.

Jaymiz

Post by Jaymiz » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:46 pm

This is my first real "S" weekend, and I'm doing okay, so far I think. I went out and bought a bottle of Coke and a chocolate bar yesterday, and thoroughly enjoyed some of the Coke...but haven't yet had the chocolate (saving it for today). And, I haven't overeaten... but I did enjoy a nice dessert of Chocolate pudding last night (see a theme, here?) :lol:

I was tempted a couple times this past week (my first NoS week) to tweak the rules a bit. BUT, I have learned from experience that "tweaking" or "making exceptions" quickly leads to a complete downfall --- in 2005 I lost almost all of my excess weight, but then started making "exceptions" and being lenient with the "rules"... and it ended up snowballing to the point where I put all of the weight back on, and I now have to work at it ALL OVER AGAIN to get that weight off. That is a really hard lesson to have to learn! But, it's a very good deterrant to "making exceptions" now and in the future! ;)

I'm not saying I'll always avoid the "exceptions"... just that this "reminder" is a powerful deterrant for me. And, I managed to survive my first "NoS week" without tweaking. :)
http://jaymiz.wordpress.com (The 'No S' Life)
"The more you do a thing, the easier it becomes" ~ Anon.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:26 am

lostnfound

the only thing I want to add is be careful what you "no matter what" ... the only thing I "no matter what" is my three meals on N days ... those are NO MATTER WHAT .. I definitely plan my treats .. proactive and most of my meals on S days ... however no matter what for me, has no place on S days :D they are after all S days and I am free to respond to the day, my mood, whatever!

However what you wrote about the two points about not messing with the (N-Day) schedule and not setting yourself up for failure is RIGHT ON TARGET.

I think the power of No S is that it is very experiential. Reinhard gives us this structure we get to live in and fill in all of the blanks so to speak. Based on how we fill in the blanks we will have a certain experience ... i.e. we will feel great, have some lost weight, or we will feel full, bloated .. or like an idiot :D

those EXPERIENCEs .. unique, personal OURS are what is teaching us and training us so that our S days become not only more manageable but more enjoyable.

It actually sounds like you are going great!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Jamiebf

Post by Jamiebf » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:10 am

Well said Blueskighs, I agree with all that!

icz

Post by icz » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:28 am

I just had my first S days as well. They were freeing, and I didn't overdo it I don't think. I think they were just how I 'normally' eat (and what keeps me 30# overweight) but steady (no yo yoing). I can see how having more N days would result in an eventual, slowish loss.

I do kind of dread tomorrow because I get pretty hungry. Not 'snacking' is my hardest thing. I never thought of it as snacking since I don't like snack food, and tend to just have a mini meal as it keeps my blood sugar in check. (I'm not diabetic, but I do get shaky if I don't eat regularly.) I am hoping that the light-headedness that I experienced last week will diminish even though I had two S days. . .we'll see!

angelka71

Post by angelka71 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:25 am

I haven't weighed myself yet but I have a sneaky suspicion that I've gained some weight...jeans are feeling a bit tight.

Ya know, I think it's actually ok to overdo it on S days especially in the beginning. I'm looking at it as my old diet mentality in its last throws before death. I'm thinking that it may be entirely possible to be No S-ing correctly and even gaining a bit of weight while transitioning from "diet" mode to healthy normal eating mode. Once we get the new habits firmly in place, THAT"S when the weight loss will happen.

This is exactly why I'm staying away from my scale...if I have gained it's only going to discourage and depress me and then my instinct will be restrict my calories and start the cycle all over again.

Also, wanted to remind you that that extra 1/2 pound could just be water weight.

lostnfound

Thanks!

Post by lostnfound » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:28 am

Thank you all for your great responses!
I do know that this is all a 'process', and I love what you said, Angelka, about my 'old mentality being in its last throws before death'....that's a great mental image! I am not a big eater, never have been, so the weekly N days are not that tough for me. If I get hungry between meals, which is seldom, I have found that the glass of milk (suggested in the book) pretty much does the trick. But I am a sweet eater, always have been. It's difficult for me to leave the stuff alone. That's why I said, even though a couple of you question it, that I may be better off planning my N days so I don't overdo. That probably won't be a lifelong thing, but just until I get the right mindset going.
I notice that some people talk about enjoying snacks on S days and it's things like "a quarter of a personal pan pizza".....is that really what is considered a treat? I mean...first of all, pizza is food, not a sweet (high in calories but not a sweet). I have to be realistic in this whole thing, because I know it's going to be with me a very long time, if not forever.
Bottom line is....I felt much better last week when I wasn't eating sweets. I had more energy, I was not bloated, my mood was better. This weekend when I was off the diet, I was the total opposite. That if for no other reason should keep a person on the straight and narrow, and should convince anyone that this diet is a good thing!

Shirls

Post by Shirls » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:00 pm

Lostand found I would think the pizza is a snack if you have it in between meals or as seconds. I would imagine pizza and salad would constitute a meal IF you had it as a lunch or dinner.
Don't wait for the storm to be over - learn to dance in the rain.

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:22 pm

Also pizza, even though "food", is very calorie dense; it has that lovely carby crust which calls me, at least, almost as much as a cookie, and then you go put all that stuff on it...(yum)...before you know it you could be eating 1000 calories just from the pizza alone (I know to me I could inhale four slices in about a minute without even thinking).

f

lostnfound

Post by lostnfound » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:00 pm

I feel the same way about pizza....pretty yummy stuff...and I know the calories/fat/etc can be pretty high. But still, if the idea is not to worry about what you eat so much as when (mealtime) and quantity (one plate) then a person shouldnt be hung up on whether its pizza or lettuce leaves...should they? Isn't obsessing about that kind of defeating the whole idea of the diet? AND....what's with eating 1/4 of a personal pan pizza? That's hardly worth chewing!! :wink: Don't get me wrong, I don't think a person should go crazy with food, but I just don't want to get all caught up in the details. Does that makes sense to anyone else but me? In order to work it has to stay simple.....at least as far as my limited intelligence is concerned!