Acceptance of Greed and Gluttoney

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BrightAngel

Acceptance of Greed and Gluttoney

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:24 pm

I Accept that I am Greedy, and a Glutton.
What does that really mean?

Webster defines
  • "Greedy" as "having a strong desire for food or drink";
    "Glutton as "one given habitually to greedy and voracious eating and drinking";
    "Voracious" is having a huge appetite: Ravenous; or excessively eater: Insatiable;
    . . . . . . .Voracious applies especially to habital gorging with food or drink.
    . . . . . . . .Synonyms:
    • "Gluttonous" applies to one who delights in eating...especially beyond the pont of necessity or satiety.
      "Ravenous" imples excessive hunger and suggests violent or grasping methods of dealing with food.
      "Rapacious"often suggests excessive and selfish acquisitveness.
Well, That IS me.
So....is it a bad thing?
I don't think so.

It's just part of who I am, and what I need to deal with in my life.
along with my other personality characteristics and physical appearance.
I Accept these character "defects",
just like I Accept physical things about me such as:
my height, age, eye-color, strech marks, wrinkles, less than taunt skin..etc. etc. etc.

Acceptance gets me out of Denial,
and gives me the freedom to do what I can
to reduce negative side effects produced by the condition...
...if I choose to.

Acceptance of Truth is a starting place.
.....and the Truth is that all of those definitions apply to me....
I am a Glutton. Does it mean I have to be fat?
Not necessarily.

Obesity is a "negative side effect" of Gluttoney,
and in order to avoid that side-effect,
I have to work to control, direct, and tame my eating desires.
Will new Habits "tame the wild animal"?
And can I develop those Habits?
I hope so.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:20 am

I'm at the end of my 2nd weekend on No S.
I love Reinhard's common sense attitude, and I think there is much to recommend the No S diet.

However, the plan is based upon Reinhard's Philosophy which appears to be that:

The average person doesn't wish to consider him/herself a glutton or "an idot" about food.
This aversion is intended as a "safety net" in that when one SEES the amount one is eating,
the Excess is brought into one's consciousness,
and once one is conscious of one's Gross Overeating,
one will then reduce the amount one eats.

It seems to me that while this may be a useful and valuable premise for N days,
primarily due to the restrictions of no snacks, no sweets, no seconds, 3 meals, 1 plate,
and while the lack of weekend restriction may work for "normal" people
who are not primarily "Idots" or "Gluttons",
it appears to lose effectiveness on S days for those of us who ARE dyed-in-the-wool Idots, and Gluttons,
especially those of us who are well aware of, and accept the fact of, this condition.

So far, my experience of "S" days has been the same
as it has on all other diets that let me "cheat" on the weekend.
Once restrictions are removed, I lose control and binge
on whatever foods I find desirable until the restrictions are back in place.

Then, in order to remedy the enormous calorie surplus,
the weekdays (N days) must become 3 very tiny, restrictive meals....
which triggers a cycle of weekend bingeing and weekday "fasting"
in order to maintain a status-quo weight.

Alledgedly one could choose NOT to restrict food excessively on weekdays,
which might possibly result in less overeating on weekends, for "normal" people.

This may work for "normal" people,
However, as a person who has had a lifetime of involvement in dieting,
including 20 years of therapy,
and even outpatient treatment in an eating disorders clinic,
BEFORE my gastric bypass 15 years ago,
I will say that my experience here appears to be no different
that in previous programs which gave short periods of "freedom".

I remember gaining more than 50 lbs in one of those programs
before giving up the hope the approach would eventually level out
my eating and cause more "normal" eating behavior.

Tonight, at this point....which is the end of two S days...
I'm pretty sure the ratio of 5 "N" days to 2 "S" days isn't going to work for me.
For me, 5 days of extremely restricted eating will not even out the calories of 2 days of binging,
so it appears to me that following this plan...as is...won't work for me.

So, now, I need to work to individualize No S for my particular problem,
and figure out a different way to deal with the weekends;
because, certainly, if I could get rid of snacking on N days,
and make 3 meals a day a Habit, it would be very helpful to me.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:01 am

BrightAngel,

is it at all possible that you are being a little bit harsh with yourself? Perhaps rather than being greedy and a glutton you might just have some greedy or gluttonous habits. I think from what I have seen, that even normal people overindulge themselves on occasion.

I used to think of myself as an ADDICT when it came to sweets and even food depending on what day it was and what was going on with my food, but I guess when I read the book I thought maybe it is possible that I just have a really BAD HABIT when it comes to food and eating and sweets?

I agree with you. If someone was being too restrictive on N days then it might trigger the binging cycle. It seems like if I have a really bad habit that I have had for over 40 years prior to No S, which is in fact, personally true for me, then it might take me awhile to adjust.

I hope you don't let your frustrations experienced up to this point diminish whatever joy and freedom No S has brought you up to now.

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

angelka71

Post by angelka71 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:03 am

I agree with Blueskighs. Also, you mentioned that your N days would have to be restricted even more which naturally WILL lead to binging on S days. I would say to NOT restrict your N days any more than the basics and try to not obsess over your calories and such.

When you decide that your problem isn't just a bad habit, but an ADDICTION or a CONDITION that makes it more difficult for you to overcome than a "normal" person...you have just given "it" a TREMENDOUS amount of power over you and subconsciously made it more difficult to overcome. Remember, perception becomes reality and it works both ways. If you start to accept it's just a bad habit, THAT becomes your reality.

When my oldest daughter was in the 9th grade, she was enrolled in a Math class and had been doing quite well. One day, a friend of hers commented on her being in an "advanced class" and while looking at her homework said something to the effect of, "Wow! How do you do all those hard problems? I would never be able to figure all that stuff out." Apparently, my daughter was unaware that her class was considered 'advanced" so she confirmed it with her teacher. She started voicing her concerns to me that it was going to be too hard for her. That all the other kids were so much smarter than her. Amazingly, her grades started to drop and by the end of the semester, her school counselor recommended that she be placed in a more basic class. There's no doubt in my mind that it was all a self fulfilling prophecy.

When I was growing up, I was the oldest kid I knew who couldn't ride a bike. My grandfather was sweet enough to take me out everyday after school holding on to the bike and running beside me. I was so scared and I kept saying, "Papa...I'm going to fall! I'm going to fall! Don't let go!"

"I'm not letting go, I've got ya."

After a few days of this I began to relax in the confidence that he wasn't going to let me go...I wasn't going to fall. And I still so vividly remember the day that I looked back and saw him a block or more away from me. I kept going, I remember the exhiliration, I remember the freedom. The confidence I had in him had transferred to confidence in myself.

It can be useful to know where we've been and to learn from the mistakes in our past, but it's a bad idea to stay focused on them. Just like when you're driving your car, it's a bad idea to only look in the rearview mirror. You have to keep your eyes forward on the road ahead to keep from crashing.

Jesseco

Post by Jesseco » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:01 am

BrightAngel, I hope I don't sound too critical. I also consider myself a glutton, but I don't want to be! Knowing that S days are a temptation for me to binge, I am now choosing not to binge. It is important to me and if I can't keep to that, I won't stay on this diet, which is working well for me so far, though I've lost no weight.

I initially gained, but have now returned to my original 124 pounds. I still want to lose about 5 pounds if possible, though, without cutting out more.

This weekend, I decided to have just ONE sweet per day--and a modest one each day at that. I actually had two on Sat., but they weren't TOO bad, and then did hold to one yesterday.

I am very pleased. No yo-yoing. The decision was made, and I feel better about myself, too.

I think at least for myself that I would not long-term do this diet if all I were doing was restricting and then bingeing again. I personally need safeguards, and if I accepted my gluttony, wouldn't give myself any freedom.

Nicola

Post by Nicola » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:35 am

Overthinking a problem tends to result in more difficult solutions. Do you really feel that two weeks is long enough to know that the program as written won't work for you? I just hit 21 days, I used to be a constant snacker, or a glutton in your words, and now even on S days I don't think of snacking, it's no longer my world. This isn't an all or nothing diet- it's not *eat all on S days eat nothing on N days*- there is a definite balance that can be found- but it takes a bit of time. Don't overthink- give the plan time to work and THEN tweak if necessary, don't label yourself and make it harder than it should be =)

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:16 pm

blueskighs wrote:BrightAngel,
Perhaps rather than being greedy and a glutton you might just have some greedy or gluttonous habits.
Yes, my snacking, especially on sweets is a Bad Habit.

However, No, I am not being Harsh with myself.
Harsh would only mean that I agree with society in general that the word and definition of "Glutton" is bad or negative.
I do not agree.
One is what one is.
and one of the many things I am....is a Glutton...
...Look again at Webster's defination of that term in my post above.

However, simply because I AM a Glutton, does not mean I must BEHAVE in a Gluttonous manner.
It just means that it is MORE work for me not to do so ,
than for many other people...i.e. those people who are Not Gluttons.

Perhaps none of you are.
However, in my lifetime I have lost and regained over 100 lbs three separate times.
Although I have been on almost every diet in existence, I've spent most of my life fat.
During my 20 years of therapy I learned that
I love to eat more than anything else, (no matter what the basic reason)
and by living years of my life in obesity,
I chose to pay the high price of obesity in order to get to eat lots and lots of food.

However, I don't see food as an Addiction.
I have the ability to choose how to behave with food,
it's just more difficult for me than for some.

I agree that 2 weeks is not a long time to experiment with a diet.
However, you might bear in mind that I've already experimented with similar diets for very long periods of time,
and 2 weeks is long enough to recognize basics and similiarities between food plans or diets.
I don't have to keep hitting myself in the head with a blue hammer
to see if I get the same effects as I do from a red hammer.

I love the basics of the No S Diet,
and Reinhard's common sense approach to the problem of overeating.
I want to continue to use many of his principles,
while adapting them to optimize my personal use of them.
In his book, Reinhard, is supportive of such a decision.

I think this forum is great, and I want to continue on here.

However, as much as I wish the No S plan, exactly as written, would work for me,
the past two weeks...taken together with my extensive prior experience,
...my lengthy education, and my pretty good common sense,
tells me that this is not the case for me.
I don't have to spend a month or two and have a 10 lb gain before I can make that decision.

droth

Post by droth » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:20 pm

I have this same problem with weekends and getting out of control, but I think I have found a solution. While I'm eating 3 healthy portioned meals (an 1 snack at bedtime due to diabetes), on the weekend (S days) I still get those meals in but they are not the balanced-type meals. For instance, for breakfast I have that bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich that I wouldn't otherwise have during the week, or if I choose, a danish with my coffee. Then for lunch I have that hamburger that I love with the baked jalapino poppers and cheese sticks (this weekend I had 2 of each) and call that lunch. For dinner I had a normal dinner with banana pudding for dessert (and had this a little later in the evening so the dessert was closer to bedtimes snack but not right before bedtime). The next S day was a regular breakfast, sandwich and chips for lunch, and pizza for dinner. Have a brownie after the pizza for the sweet. This still gives me 3 meals on the S day, just not the "regular" balanced meals I would have on the No-S days. Yes, its a few more calories and fat, but then again S days are for that, but I'm still not binging in between meals. The foods I want and crave become meals and I don't get back that urge to snack in between. So far this is working for me.
Started No-S 04/07/08
Need to lose 80 lbs.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:41 pm

BrightAngel,

I'm sorry you don't think vanilla no-s (or at least, vanilla S-days) will do the trick for you, and I would be very cautious about coming to that conclusion, since I think people almost always jump the gun when they identify S-days as the problem, but it certainly *could* be the case for you, and you're very right that I do support adapting no-s to individual needs. I wish you all the best and please do keep us posted!

Have you seen the "lowercase s-day/capital S-day" mod floating around? It comes up a fair amount on this board and might be just what you're looking for... (pushing this adaptation up to the home page is on my short list of website related todos).

Reinhard

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:46 pm

Reinhard,

I have the same problem as BrightAngel, but it only needs a tiny modification for folks whose metabolism is in the toilet, and only for the "weight loss" portion of the diet, not as a maintenance, lifestyle change, which this mostly is.

The fine print should say something along the lines of, IF you have trouble losing weight, you must treat S days as an almost N day, like droth does, understanding that treats are probably calorie dense and to lose weight they must be a meal in themselves, or limited to one serving (no seconds), and possibly also limited as to size. Technically this is what folks are going to end up doing, and is how "normal" people, like the thin Europeans, or the 19th century whomevers, still eat. The French lady is probably eating her éclair with a salad and a bit of hardboiled egg or some such and nothing else for that meal.

Otherwise the theory works fine.

3 bows,

f

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:06 pm

I have no idea what to say except, maybe, why not just NOT binge on S-Days?
BrightAngel wrote:So far, my experience of "S" days has been the same
as it has on all other diets that let me "cheat" on the weekend.
Once restrictions are removed, I lose control and binge
on whatever foods I find desirable until the restrictions are back in place.

Then, in order to remedy the enormous calorie surplus,
the weekdays (N days) must become 3 very tiny, restrictive meals....
which triggers a cycle of weekend bingeing and weekday "fasting"
in order to maintain a status-quo weight.

Alledgedly one could choose NOT to restrict food excessively on weekdays,
which might possibly result in less overeating on weekends, for "normal" people.
Well, I found that quote in the above and I guess that blocks out most suggestions. By labeling yourself this or that, what can any of us say?

You say that you eat so much during the weekends that you have to eat teeny tiny meals during the week. Well, that would lead anyone to say that you should just stick to "the rules" of N days on your S Days, but you say that is impossible for you. It basically makes it impossible to make any suggestions.

Like I said, I would suggest that you eat three square meals on the weekends and not binge, which would lead to normal-sized meals on your weekdays, according to your reasoning. But you've made such an air-tight argument, that I can't possibly convince you otherwise . . . not that you want to be convinced otherwise anyway.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

flipturn

Post by flipturn » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:32 pm

Since you have had gastric bypass surgery and can't eat too much at a time, I am wondering about your definition of the word binge. I do know that it is subjective, and some people call two small candy bars a binge. For me, it is moving from half a box of crackers on to half a box of cookies, skipping dinner and then eating even more because I have blown it. It sounds like you are you are hard on yourself, Bright. I thought the photograph that you posted was wonderful, and you are enviably slim. Can you give No S-ing a bit more time before you change Reinhard's program?

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:29 pm

Bright, please, please do not take my post as an insult; it is after all just one opinion:

Me thinks thou doth protest too much. After re-reading your post I'm wondering if you are trying to talk yourself into not following the program. I have no desire to do anything other than to try to neutralize your opinion in some small way. It sounds to me as though you have many perfectionist traits in your personality. This is not a bad thing unless it causes you to think less of yourself as a person. Recognizing one's "truths" as you enumerated them in your post tells me that you need more control over your own life. Perhaps this control is currently fixated on your food habits. Is it at all possible, that if you re-examine your life, that you have chosen food to control because you feel helpless to exert this control in some other area of your life?

Please, again, do not consider this post as an insulting criticism of what you think and believe. My intent is strictly to encourage you and to help you be less harsh on your own psyche.

All the best to you. Please do let us know how you are doing.

Diane
Visit www.MaximizeYourWellness.com
(Ok, a shameless plug). I'm just here to learn how to say No to the S!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:42 pm

I was thinking about this a little more.

I think that if you could find a way to not convince yourself that this won't work for you, then you'll find this to be a diet that is so easy to stick to. So what if you gain ten pounds? What if you gain ten lbs and then maintain it? That would be GREAT! If it is a struggle to stick to staying at 115 lbs, then why try to stay at it? It doesn't sound like much fun. And it sounds like it's bringing you down.

This is such an easy program to stick to, I say to just keep going, and modify your S-Days, even though you say you can't. Maybe you'll gain a little bit of weight, but at least you'll be able to maintain a HEALTHY weight for the long haul. Then maybe this would be your last diet.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:28 pm

It just means that it is MORE work for me not to do so
BrightAngel,
after carefully re-reading your posts I agree with you. This is probably a lot harder for you than it is for the rest of us. You are right, you need to do whatever it is you need to do to make this work for you,

good luck!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:48 pm

It just means that it is MORE work for me not to do so
BrightAngel,
after carefully re-reading your posts I agree with you. This is probably a lot harder for you than it is for the rest of us. You are right, you need to do whatever it is you need to do to make this work for you,

good luck!

Blueskighs
Thank you Blueskighs.
I greatly appreciate your comment.

I'll admit that when I initially made these posts,
I expected that my points would simply go past some heads,
but I was surprised to find such a lack of attention to my core message,
It was almost like I speak a different language than some.
And, perhaps I do.

Perhaps some simply cannot understand the issue.
Those who have read my posts Introducing myself and followed my links,
and read my post re Gastric Bypass,
can see that I am well aware that I have issues with food,
and I have spent a lifetime dealing with them.

It is my opinion that anyone who believes.."if you gain 10, 20 or more lbs... So What....."
...has no concept of what it means to have a life-time struggle with obesity..
My experience, education, and therapy have taught me
that I will have to struggle to maintain my weight,.... no matter what that weight is...
whether I weigh 115 lbs, 180 lbs, or 250 lbs.
I have discovered that there is simply no limit to the amount of weight I can gain through unlimited eating.
I feel extremely blessed to now be able to struggle to maintain at 115 lbs instead of struggling to maintain at 270 lbs,
and I am committed to do whatever it takes,
for the rest of my life, to remain at my present weight.

I take the personal comment questioning the quality of my life as well-intentioned,
and respond by saying....
that just like a blind, or a deaf or an otherwise physically challenged person can be happy,
serious difficulties with food and with weight are not necessarily symptoms of an unhappy life.

While there, of course, have been difficulties in my life aside from food,
there are probably few people who are in circumstances as fortunate as mine;
......My two children are now healthy and self-supporting adults, and I'm in a long and happy 2nd marriage
with a man who believes I am the most wonderful woman in the world,
and who tells me so frequently (as well as anyone else who is willing to listen);
.....I have financial security with many lovely possessions and a comfortable position in life;
.....Thus far I've had an interesting and fulfilling life,
with many wonderful and luxurous travel experiences;
I've taken advantage of many educational opportunities;
and after a 25 year career as a successful California attorney specializing in Family law,
I've recently been able to retire and am now devoting myself to enjoying my many hobbies.
In short, I am basically happy, well-adjusted, and contented...
However, the desire for too much food is still a factor in my life.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:47 pm

Bright Angel --

I've read and reread your posts in this thread and can't help but think of the book What Do You Say When You Talk To Yourself by Shed Helmstetter. Something makes me feel that you've talked yourself into believing that greed and gluttony are problems for you -- at least to a greater degree than they are -- and it's become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:22 pm

wosnes wrote:Bright Angel --

I've read and reread your posts in this thread and can't help but think of the book What Do You Say When You Talk To Yourself by Shed Helmstetter. Something makes me feel that you've talked yourself into believing that greed and gluttony are problems for you -- at least to a greater degree than they are -- and it's become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
These type of responses to my posts in this thread are frustrating to me,
as reading them makes me feel similiar to the way I feel when
I try to explain a difficult concept of law to someone with no legal training.

It appears that many of you occupy a totally different space.
Perhaps my statements can only really be understood by someone
who has also achieved a very large and successful weight-loss
...after spending 50+ years of yo-yo dieting within a 150 lb range,
...after undergoing more than 20 years of professional therapy,
........including outpatient treatment in an eating disorders clinic,
.....who in their past has even had major surgery (Gastric Bypass) due to their problem,
.................only to discover that the problem still exists.

If such a person exists on this forum,
I'll be happy to "personal message" with them on this issue further.
and compare notes.
In other words, First, "walk a mile in my shoes".

I feel I'm just wasting my time and energy.
Posting on this thread seems like discussing color with the blind or music with the deaf.
and I've decided to abandon this thread and ignore it from hereon out.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:31 pm

I know you just said you're not coming back, but I am sorry/ I apologise. I didn't mean to offend.

Mavilu

Re: Acceptance of Greed and Gluttoney

Post by Mavilu » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:29 pm

BrightAngel wrote:I Accept that I am Greedy, and a Glutton.
What does that really mean?

Webster defines
  • "Greedy" as "having a strong desire for food or drink";
    "Glutton as "one given habitually to greedy and voracious eating and drinking";
    "Voracious" is having a huge appetite: Ravenous; or excessively eater: Insatiable;
    . . . . . . .Voracious applies especially to habital gorging with food or drink.
    . . . . . . . .Synonyms:
    • "Gluttonous" applies to one who delights in eating...especially beyond the pont of necessity or satiety.
      "Ravenous" imples excessive hunger and suggests violent or grasping methods of dealing with food.
      "Rapacious"often suggests excessive and selfish acquisitveness.
Well, That IS me.
So....is it a bad thing?
I don't think so.

It's just part of who I am, and what I need to deal with in my life.
along with my other personality characteristics and physical appearance.
I Accept these character "defects",
just like I Accept physical things about me such as:
my height, age, eye-color, strech marks, wrinkles, less than taunt skin..etc. etc. etc.

Acceptance gets me out of Denial,
and gives me the freedom to do what I can
to reduce negative side effects produced by the condition...
...if I choose to.

Acceptance of Truth is a starting place.
.....and the Truth is that all of those definitions apply to me....
I am a Glutton. Does it mean I have to be fat?
Not necessarily.

Obesity is a "negative side effect" of Gluttoney,
and in order to avoid that side-effect,
I have to work to control, direct, and tame my eating desires.
Will new Habits "tame the wild animal"?
And can I develop those Habits?
I hope so.
I haven't commented on this and when I meant to do so, it had gotten bigger with lots of opinions.

BrightAngel-when I was a teenager, one of the classes I had to take in school was Psychology, there was one thing we were taught that I liked and I still apply to my life today, that is Introspection, you look at yourself and learn who you are and do so at every stage in your life; like what you see?, good for you!, don't like what you see?, you accept it and either change it or move on.
In that spirit, I really like that you know exactly who you are and what are your positives and your negatives, now-a-days everyone seems to be caught in all that "be positive to yourself at all times" movement that encourages either not admitting your faults, flaunting them or just plain ignoring them, like those license plates you see that say things like "I'm a princess and I behave like one", like being spoiled is something to be proud of, because God forbid you are guilty of anything ever!.

So you, who know you better than anyone else have seen that you have a problem with gluttony and decided to accept it as a part of your persona and do what you must in order to change that.
Good for you!, I don't see it as something bad that I have to talk you out of, but as something brave; you have looked in the mirror and accepted what you saw.
I support you, but I beg you: do not go overboard in order to deal with this, no chastizing, punishing of any kind, please, but as long as it is positive and healthy, do what you must; no one knows you better that you.

I haven't read much of what anyone has said here, but, since you have had bariatric surgery, I assume you are still under the monitoring of your physician or a R.D.?, talk to them if you are deciding to do any changes on your diet, please!.
Best luck to you.

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:25 pm

But I'm an exception!
So is everybody else. And even if you truly happen to be the one, it isn't useful to think this way.

Let me put it another way: chances are you're deceiving yourself. And on the odd chance that you aren't deceiving yourself, maybe you should be, the other way.

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't.
Reinhard Engels from: http://www.nosdiet.com/

'Nuf said.
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:50 pm

If left to our instincts, we're all basically gluttons and greedy. Civilized people have been trained not to be. It's a hell of a way to define yourself; it's like giving up to it.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:36 pm

Jesseco wrote:Knowing that S days are a temptation for me to binge, I am now choosing not to binge.
I think basically this is the "fine print" of the system. One is allowed to binge on an S day, but once folks figure out that they'll gain weight if they do, 90% of them won't. Then, after they lose their weight, they can maintain with the system by eating what they like on S days in moderation.

Bingeing, I have discovered, after not doing it for 30 days, is not about food, except for the tiny fact that sugar IS addictive, and if you clean it out of your system, you won't be attracted to it anymore. Anyone who has bingeing issues, including myself, has problems with stress which stem from many sources.

f

Jesseco

Post by Jesseco » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:22 pm

fkwan wrote: One is allowed to binge on an S day, but once folks figure out that they'll gain weight if they do, 90% of them won't. Then, after they lose their weight, they can maintain with the system by eating what they like on S days in moderation.

Bingeing, I have discovered, after not doing it for 30 days, is not about food, except for the tiny fact that sugar IS addictive, and if you clean it out of your system, you won't be attracted to it anymore. Anyone who has bingeing issues, including myself, has problems with stress which stem from many sources.

f
fkwan, I agree so much! It is possible to sabotage any diet and I think that's the reason we must pick a diet that we can live with. I'm thinking more and more that doing that is an individual thing and maybe not even static. Look how many times most of us have changed diets or tried different things. This S-plan seems like a keeper though, doesn't it?

I also like what you wrote about bingeing. I too think there is a small addiction component in it that has something usually to do with sugar and/or fat, but like you said, anyone who binges has problems with stress. When I've binged in the past, I often found that it was about anger. I was so angry that I stuffed my feelings (not to mention food) down! Doesn't make too much sense, but...

flipturn

Post by flipturn » Thu May 01, 2008 12:34 am

I am sorry that Bright has taken a leave of absence from us; she has an unusual perspective and I gained a lot from reading her postings.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu May 01, 2008 1:27 am

Has she? I'm sorry too.