The Pain is Greater than the High

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

fkwan

The Pain is Greater than the High

Post by fkwan » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:33 pm

Dawn wrote: As for still "wanting" to binge, well that might stay with you forever, but not to the point that you can't handle it. I quit smoking 20 years ago and still "want" a cig every now and then, but of course it's nothing like it was 6 months after quitting. It's all about the big T: TIME.
It's also about how important quitting some addiction is to you, or whether the pain involved exceeds the high. Only then can you quit. The fear of cancer or other serious illness is infinitely greater than any thrill from nicotine (although to be fair I wouldn't know; I never smoked. My brother-in-law was an MD and had icky medical journal pictures of cancerous lungs also over the house). I quit eating meat three years ago and never once did I go back because to me to kill an animal was worse than whatever thrill eating meat gave me. Now the pain of a sugar binge -- the obesity, the shame, and the self-loathing -- far outweigh any joy involved once the stuff went down my throat.

I wonder why I never cared before, though. It must be something involved in the ritual of No S. Something about those green squares must produce the same satisfaction people get from chanting and/or using a rosary/mala/worry beads. :)

f

Jesseco

Post by Jesseco » Thu May 01, 2008 1:01 am

What is it about those green squares?!!! They are incredibly motivating! :o