This is really hard for me!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Beckycan

This is really hard for me!

Post by Beckycan » Thu May 01, 2008 1:45 am

I thought when I found NoS that I would not have a problem with eating three meals and no snacks or sweets. I've really had a struggle to get two green days back to back, let alone five days in a row! :oops:

Yesterday it was M&M's and popcorn when I got home from my evening class, this morning it was a donut mid-morning. Hubby says I should call the Guinness book of world records and see if they give an award for the person who's tried the most diets... :cry: (and failed, I read into that.)

Guess I don't expect anyone to have a pat answer for me, just wanted to vent my frustration.

Becky
SW 295
CW 292
GW 175

A turtle travels only when he sticks his neck out. Korean Proverb

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu May 01, 2008 1:51 am

The rules are simple. That doesn't mean implementing them will be easy. You already have entrenched habits you're trying to change! BUT, the payoff is that once you make habit work FOR you and not AGAINST you, it gets much easier.

In all honesty, I "phased in" my habit compliance. I was SO used to snacking that I wasn't sure I could manage. So, I did no sweets or seconds, and very limited snacks - I made a short-list of non-sweet things I could have "if I really needed them" and only at the most difficult time for me, which was mid-afternoon. Over time, I was able to break the snacking habit, but it took longer than the other two.

Give yourself time, and don't give up.

And see the thread Jesseco started, on "worth it but not easy."

Hang in there!

patticake

Post by patticake » Thu May 01, 2008 1:54 am

Hi Becky, I know what you mean. Before NoS I thought the same thing about being on and buying all kinds of stuff and not having any sucess. Something about NoS clicked for me and I hope you hang in there. I know it has worked for me. Good Luck I'm pulling for you. Patti :)

janiean1

Hi Becky

Post by janiean1 » Thu May 01, 2008 2:51 am

Dear Becky,

Please don't feel bad! I also had a very bad past Monday and Tuesday of this week! I was about to give up, and try my own thing again. Then I thought it was just crazy to give up. So instead I put two red marks for Monday and Tuesday, and decided to begin anew today. Tomorrow will make three weeks. I don't think I've actually lost any weight, but I think getting the habits instilled is really good!

I realize I've done some things that I really shouldn't be doing such as too much fast food during the week. I'm going to try to cut that out, and just do that on the weekends. Also, maybe just do one really nice treat on Saturday and Sunday.

Anyway, stay in there!! We are all in this together!!!

Janie :)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu May 01, 2008 12:11 pm

One of my favorite people says this about something else: "it's simple, but it's not easy." Meaning, it's not difficult to understand, but doing it requires effort. It also takes time for results. While it might be hard initially, the more you do it, the easier it will get. After some time (and sorry, this is much longer than 3 weeks), it will be second nature. There will be temptations or exceptions from time to time, but they won't be so difficult to deal with or likely to throw you off your course of action.

Nothing proceeds in a straight line, there are always adjustments to be made.

Funny thing, isn't it, how much easier it is to build a bad habit than a good one.
Last edited by wosnes on Thu May 01, 2008 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Beckycan

Post by Beckycan » Thu May 01, 2008 12:17 pm

Thanks for all the encouragement!

KCCC, I like your idea about phasing in the new habits. I don't think I will plan to snack, but I will have something in mind that is not a totally out of control food to snack on.

janiean1, I also need to watch fast food. My hubby loves the stuff and would rather have a 1/4 pounder than a home-cooked meal anyday. I usually go along with him because it is easier than cooking.

Pattiecake, thanks for the support.

wosnes, you are right, it isn't easy but this is a simple way to healthy eating. I won't give up.

I love the people on this board, and appreciate all your help and encouragement!

BEcky
SW 295
CW 292
GW 175

A turtle travels only when he sticks his neck out. Korean Proverb