Memo to self re: S-days

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kccc

Memo to self re: S-days

Post by kccc » Sat May 03, 2008 1:33 am

Dear Self,

This is your internal voice of reason, and I just want to remind you of a few things... things you know, but sometimes forget.

You've been doing No-S for a while, and you have experienced the difference between "good" S-days and... and well, S-days that aren't so good.

On a Good S-Day, you have a scrumptious, satisfying treat of some nature. Maybe more than one - and you savor every bite. However, you also eat regular meals (maybe extra-yummy, but on time), refrain from perma-snacking, and enjoy the day. Emotionally, you feel proud of yourself, and deeply satisfied by what you ate. Physically, you feel good.

On a Not-So-Good (okay, pretty bad) S-day, you fall back into perma-snacking mode. You eat so much between meals that meals don't taste very good. Neither does anything else... for all the food you're inhaling (without even tasting), you don't feel satisfied. Emotionally, you feel desperate, out of control...and dissatisfied. Physically, you feel bloated and queasy.

Reinhard says S-days are meant to be a reward. A good one is exactly that. A bad one... nope.

So, what can you do to have a rewarding S-day? Well, start by remembering what works for YOU (other people will have different strategies, and that's okay). And remember to use the strategies your user name, which stands for Keep, Chuck, Change, Create.

KEEP what works for you during the week. Reinhard says habits will naturally carry over, but you don't have to passively wait for it to happen by magic! Pick an easy habit or two that you actually like, and incorporate them intentionally. For instance, eating regular meals and remembering to drink enough.

CHUCK what doesn't work for you. Right now, the biggest issue is snacks - they're a slippery slope, and you don't even like them that much. Do you need them to have a special day, or will seconds/sweets do it? (And when that self-destructive little voice whines "but it's an S-day, it's allowed!" tell it firmly that "allowed does not mean obliged. I don't HAVE to eat that if I don't want it!")

CHANGE the day's patterns to make them work better. For example, you have more energy in the morning, so maybe cook a big lunch and an easy supper. Or try one of those "put it in the oven and bake for an hour" recipes that you never have time for during the week.

CREATE new routines and habits that give you pleasure. Plan a special outing with the family. Buy flowers. Find something special to do... and savor it.

And yes, I know you know all this, but sometimes it helps to be reminded at the right time.

So have a great S-day. And remember, there will be a lot of weekends in your life. If you miss a treat, there will be another chance. And if your S-day is not-so-good... well, learn from it. There will be another chance.

Best wishes,

Your Internal Voice of Reason

patticake

Post by patticake » Sat May 03, 2008 1:39 am

Hi. I like your memo-it makes alot of sense. Have a happy S weekend. :) Patti
We can do hard things.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat May 03, 2008 5:00 am

KCCC,

great memo to self! And don't forget to:

ENJOY!
ENJOY!
ENJOY!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

flipturn

Post by flipturn » Sat May 03, 2008 6:00 am

I needed that reminder myself, and thanks for explaining your name.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sat May 03, 2008 1:22 pm

KCCC, I love your memo. :D
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Sat May 03, 2008 1:32 pm

Wonderful message KCCC! Thanks for sharing it with all of us. :)
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

irish

Post by irish » Sat May 03, 2008 11:52 pm

KCCC, I felt that I was talking to myself. Now, if I can only do it. But, here I am , thinking, I'll do it tomorrow. Tonight I'll have another Trader Joe's dark chocolate. Help!!

Jaymiz

Post by Jaymiz » Sun May 04, 2008 12:08 am

I loved this, KCCC, and I like what your user-name stands for! Great stuff! I may just have to borrow this... ;o)

And, the one part where you said "allowed but not necessarily obliged" reminded me of the Bible verse that says,
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial... Everything is permissible, but I will not be mastered by anything."
(found somewhere in 1 Corinthians -- chapter 6, I think)
Anyway... It's wise to remember that... don't let those 'esses' master you... you're the one in control of what goes in your mouth. ;)
http://jaymiz.wordpress.com (The 'No S' Life)
"The more you do a thing, the easier it becomes" ~ Anon.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri May 09, 2008 9:14 pm

Bumping to remind myself...

Jaymiz, what an interesting verse - not familiar with that one. It sounds very Buddhist-like.

Flipturn, the meaning of my user name is stolen, but I don't remember the source. (I have a mind like a magpie - easily attracted to bright, shiny ideas, and quick to appropriate them.) There were four questions... what do you want to keep, what do you want to chuck, what do you want to change, what do you want to create? I find those questions extraordinarily useful. (The other really powerful "change question" for me is "What can I do?" - try it with the emphasis on each different word... WHAT can I do, what CAN I do, etc.)

I love it that "Keep" is the first question. So often when we make changes in our lives, we throw out the baby with the bathwater. Things that are of deep value, but that we can't perhaps see when they're muddled with things that need to be different. I like looking first for "what is good here?" and preserving that.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:06 am

HI KCCC, I've just discovered this - I love it. Just what I need to hear at the moment. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:30 am

Hi, FunFuture,

Right after writing this, Reinhard published his podcast on S-days gone wild.

Between those two pieces, my S days have made a dramatic change for the better (knock on wood!). I still marvel at the transition, and am a little careful about it.

I am really, really grateful. It's like night and day - an entirely different mindset.

I wish this transition for everyone struggling with S-days.

telltalemikey

Post by telltalemikey » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:25 am

this came at just the right time for me! thanks for sharing:))
AMOR VINCIT OMNIA....LOVE CONQUERS ALL
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨
(¸.•´ (¸.•´MIKEY

trytrytry

Post by trytrytry » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:46 pm

I'm bumping it up, because I don't want to feel
desperate, out of control...and dissatisfied, (...) bloated and queasy.
Or rather I don't want to feel even more
desperate, out of control...and dissatisfied, (...) bloated and queasy.

There will be another weekend!!! In fact, there will be another Sday tomorrow!!!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:31 pm

There will be another weekend!!! In fact, there will be another Sday tomorrow!!!
I think this is the key in re-building trust with ourselves and our bodies, that we are NOT going to throw ourselves in another food prison/lock down situation :wink:

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:07 pm

Bumping to share with someone....

ShannahR

Post by ShannahR » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:42 pm

KCCC-
Thanks for bumping! I'd never seen this before and thinking of this "letter" will definitely help me this weekend.
This version of myself is not permanent, tomorrow I will be different. --BEP

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:44 pm

Thank you! I will tape this to my bathroom mirror to read Saturday morning.

I also wondered what KCCC stood for. I'm glad you're not Kansas City cubic centimeter or carbon copy.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:57 pm

Awesome!! Printing this out for myself as well. Thanks KCCC! :D
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:38 am

KCCC,
This was very helpful. All I have to do is ask myself what I really enjoy. Two years ago, I was simply desperate to eat on S Days. Now I simply eat because I can. That's a big change, and with that change comes the opportunity to move from S Day binges to S Event indulgences.
Kathleen

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:05 am

I'm glad that a whole new group is finding this old post of mine useful. It really marked a turning point for me.

(Which is not to say that I never, ever have wild S-days now, but they are no longer the norm. And even the wild ones are calmer!)

I think there were several key ideas in this.
- Thinking through what worked (or didn't) for me. The things I chose to "keep, chuck, change, or create" fit my preferences, personality, and normal routines.
- Choices were entirely based on what made S-days enjoyable. I didn't add restrictions that I would rebel against. (Even choosing not to perma-snack was based on the recognition that I hated how I felt when I did.)

So if you find it useful, take the big ideas, but edit all the choices to fit YOU. :)

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:27 am

good stuff, KCCC. Thanks for re-posting it.

Starla

Post by Starla » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:18 pm

KCCC, your Internal Voice of Reason is so smart! I had not seen this before, and I find myself needing it now.

It's nice to know the origin of your posting name too; I'll remember that!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:02 am

bump
To remind myself of this piece of wisdom

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:58 am

Wow, KCCC has that well-formed of a user-name, too? She just continues to impress. :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:35 am

Great post. Thanks ironchef for bumping it up again :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:32 am

KCCC - so good to read this reminder to yourself and in all honesty to me too.

I love your name's meaning!!
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:00 am

I just saw this! What a great reminder! :D

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:15 am

Great reminder, nicely written
'I do think the way to a full and healthy life is to adopt the sensible system of small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything. Above all, have a good time.' Julia Child

minimizer

Post by minimizer » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:32 am

Great reading to prep for the weekend! Thanks!