Food snob

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

AnnaBanana

Food snob

Post by AnnaBanana » Sat May 03, 2008 2:25 am

Anyone else becoming a food snob like me? I find that since I'm only eating three plates of food a day, I'm mighty picky about what goes on that plate. Today I drove five miles out of the way to get the *perfect* bar-b-q sandwich from my favorite joint. Not everything on my plate is always healthy, though I am making greater strides with that, but it is almost ALWAYS something I really love.

PS Last weekend when I went camping I was so pumped that I didn't have to buy special foods and wasn't panicking about not being able to have access to whatever diet food I was on and having to cook different. Well I lied. I DID have to pack something special. The stuff to make Smores. Gotta love this.

PSS - I'm not always this bad in my food choices but it is nice to have those days and be guilt free. :)
Laura Ann
SW: 282
CW: 173
GW: 150-185

Then the time came when the pain of staying a tight bud became greater than the risk it took to bloom.

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Sat May 03, 2008 11:58 am

Actually, I think I was more of a food snob before! If I was going to be "on a diet" (and by that I mean a REAL diet, not No S, which doesn't seem like a diet at all) then I was going to get the first choice because I was so deprived that I deserved the best and you (other members of my family) could wait and have my leftovers because you got to eat whatever you wanted. I felt selfish and rude doing this, but I think I was so angry and resentful from being on diets that I was turning into a mean person.

Now that I am eating this way, I don't have any resentments or anger. I do make good choices, but I am willing to compromise and let someone else have their say too. I am getting along so much better with my husband, too. This is better than marriage counseling! Jeesh, poor Mrs. Engels (what is her name anyway?), her husband is the one in danger of becoming a snob. He's got all of us giving him credit and bowing down and now even thinking he's saving marriages! LOL
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat May 03, 2008 1:56 pm

For the most part, I've stopped thinking of specific foods or food groups as "good" or "bad." I know there are things that are not good or healthy, but they aren't things I eat often anyway (can you say "Cheetohs"?).

But as far as butter or other fats or sugar or meat or eggs or whatever, I'm not attaching "good" or "bad" to them. Some things I eat more often, some things I eat less often.

I'm definitely a food snob. I'm eating good, real, high quality food.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

AnnaBanana

Post by AnnaBanana » Sat May 03, 2008 2:13 pm

Wosnes --- what you said made me really reflect this morning and I realize when I just eat what I want in the proper portions, not classifying things as good or bad, I do SO MUCH better. Several times in the last several weeks I went out and bought fat free yogurt and things I thought would be healthy and made really what was, in retrospect, diet meals from days gone by, and those were the days when I really struggled and messed up.

When I eat normal food, what I want, in the proper portions, I am happy and satisfied.

In my one of my first posts here I talked about how I had lost about 15-20 lbs or so, can't remember the exact #, since last year and it was when I gave up on dieting. That should have been a clue to me. Before I had a terrible cycle of deprivation and then binging. So even when I just ate normally and wasn't practicing No S rules, at least for me, it was an improvement over dieting. Does that make sense?

Hope everyone has a great Saturday. Gotta clean house, work, and go to the gym. The latter is actually something I enjoy. :)
Laura Ann
SW: 282
CW: 173
GW: 150-185

Then the time came when the pain of staying a tight bud became greater than the risk it took to bloom.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat May 03, 2008 2:31 pm

I think a lot of the adjectives we apply to food -- "good", "bad", "healthy", "unhealthy" and so on -- have created a fear of food not seen previously or in other places in the world. We've lost the ability to enjoy food, to see it as something that not only sustains us, but brings us pleasure. In fact, there are some who say we shouldn't derive pleasure from food. Tell that to the French! :lol:
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Sat May 03, 2008 11:12 pm

Last night, I spent some good five minutes considering whether I should by imported irish butter or not, then I remembered that I still have a lot of regular butter in the fridge and I refrained.
I have always been a food snob, that has always been a source of teasing from my family and a constant headache from my husband in our first years of marriage.
The difference now is that for first time in a long time, I'm a guiltless snob, I go through food stores, looking at nice stuff and going Oooh!, without thinking "I really shouldn't be eating this, if I buy that, how am I going to fit it in my every day eating, I mean, I already eat too much, I wonder if that lady next to me is thinking that I should lay off the eating", etc., now, I just go Oooh! and I buy it or not, but not out of guilt.
Guiltless and loving it.

Rheba

Post by Rheba » Sun May 04, 2008 1:18 pm

JustJill, you really hit a nerve on your remark about being a mean and nasty person when dieting! I think back to how I acted when dieting and in restaurants if something wasn't just "right" how "ugly" I could get! Wow, talk about a flashback :oops: and one that I am not very proud of, I might add. :oops:
And if being a food snob means picking and choosing good food, yup, I guess I belong to the club! :) Sure beats having to eat stuff that you really don't like and really doesn't taste all that good and then "blowing it" on something totally not "allowed" on whatever plan I was on at the time. Horrible memories, to say the least.
At least now I can go out and eat and enjoy what I am eating and generally leaving part of it on my plate! And I am sure that I am MUCH better company. :lol:

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sun May 04, 2008 6:00 pm

Around the same time I started No S, I read a book called The Martini Diet.
She encouraged people to become food snob.
The rules were:
Eat only the best
Eat less of the best
Eat less of the best 3 times a day

I'm not a food snob, but I try to eat real food like half and half, real mayo, real ranch dressing, whole eggs, real cheese. I had heavy cream in my coffee the other day because I ran out of half and half.

But, I am in no way a purist either. I don't have a problem eating McDonalds for a meal!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun May 04, 2008 10:35 pm

3aday wrote:But, I am in no way a purist either. I don't have a problem eating McDonalds for a meal!
Neither am I.

I won't go hungry rather than eat "inferior" food. But if the choice is there, I choose the "good stuff".

Rheba

Post by Rheba » Sun May 04, 2008 11:23 pm

Amen, Noel, Amen! :)

Tulsa

Post by Tulsa » Sun May 04, 2008 11:39 pm

I'm not a food snob. I'm having a Totinos frozen pizza right now. It all fits on one plate. :D

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon May 05, 2008 12:37 am

3aday wrote:I'm not a food snob, but I try to eat real food like half and half, real mayo, real ranch dressing, whole eggs, real cheese. I had heavy cream in my coffee the other day because I ran out of half and half.
Believe it or not, I had half-and-half for the very first time Saturday morning in my coffee. The reason I'd never had it had nothing to do with fat content or any kind of diet myth or truism. I remember my parents using it on their cereal and in their coffee and for some reason, I'd always assumed I wouldn't like it. Well, guess what? I liked it!
NoelFigart wrote:I won't go hungry rather than eat "inferior" food. But if the choice is there, I choose the "good stuff".
Me either. When I'm hungry, anything is fair game.

DebbiAnn

Post by DebbiAnn » Wed May 07, 2008 11:26 pm

This is my kind of world. I too am a food snob. Today I was short on time when lunch came, so I stopped at the Hot Dog stand and had a Polish saugage w/chips and a diet coke. Something I would never have done before, and I love polish saugage.

This site is great.

Debbi

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed May 07, 2008 11:34 pm

Now that I am eating this way, I don't have any resentments or anger. I do make good choices, but I am willing to compromise and let someone else have their say too. I am getting along so much better with my husband, too. This is better than marriage counseling!
Jill,
I relate to much of what you say! IT is so nice to not have resentment or anger around too ...

as far as being a food snob ... I am a picky eater ... I am pretty picky about my junk food .. there is no absolute reason why I love this or that ... pretty much I let my preferences guide me ... I like a nice blend of healthy with a touch of junk!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Mon May 09, 2011 8:17 pm

I am a shameless food snob. Also a beer snob.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer or to eat crap food.

Which is to say, that I try to only consume the things I know I'll *really* enjoy. My hipster coworkers claim a love of really cheap beer, but I think they're delusional.