What's wrong with me??

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

angelka71

What's wrong with me??

Post by angelka71 » Sat May 03, 2008 5:38 am

Since it's Friday, I began planning what horribly "evil" treat I'd reward myself with this week end. Gleefully, I walked down the aisles of my local grocery store in search of the perfect sweet!

I couldn't find anything. NOTHING stood out to me! I went through my mental list of my former favorite forbidden indulgences. Cheesecake? Ice Cream? Doughnuts? Chocolatechip cookies? Heck, Chocolate...ANYthing?? Nope! Nada! Zilch!

I thought, Ok...I can have anything...ANYTHING! What will it be? Wanna know what came to mind? Buying a new outfit! What the heck? I finally settled on chocolate oatmeal cookies, just so I'd have something...but honestly, I'm not even looking forward to that tomorrow!

Sheesh! I used to enjoy sweets so much! It's not even that much fun now that they're not forbidden. Reinhard, I hope you're happy for being such a fun sucker! :wink:

susieokla

Post by susieokla » Sat May 03, 2008 12:56 pm

That sounds just like me in Wal-Mart yesterday! I walked around trying to find the perfect S day treat and it took forever. Finally ended up with Sugar Free Angel Food Cake, Strawberries & Strawberry Cool Whip.

Isn't it amazing how your whole way of thinking changes with this plan??
Susieokla

No S Diet Start Weight 10/6/08: 165 lbs

Current weight as of 10/14/08: 160 lbs

Goal Weight: 135-140 lbs

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Sat May 03, 2008 1:35 pm

I know exactly how you feel! Last weekend I planned a treat, and it was actually a bit difficult then, and I almost forced myself to eat something. This weekend I haven't even really thought about it, beyond that if I want something I can have it. But nothing has come to mind, and I'm just gonna play it by ear....er....stomach :wink:
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat May 03, 2008 1:48 pm

That hasn't happened to me! Although there have been weekends that I've gone through without having a sweet treat (or snacks or seconds), it's not been planned or because there just wasn't anything I wanted. They were busy for one reason or another and just "got away" from me -- "S" days that didn't seem like "S" days.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Tallant

Treats?

Post by Tallant » Sat May 03, 2008 2:05 pm

Good Morning Everyone,

I'm relatively new to the boards, but I have really gotten so much motivation from so many of you, I thought I'd put in my own 2 cents about the treat thing...Last weekend was a bust--too much rope--too little sense (isn't it amazing how smart we are one minute and how stupid the next), but today is a new S day--and I put my treat in my breakfast. Now this wasn't the healthiest breakfast in the world, but, I thoroughly enjoyed it--and isn't that part of the plan? I had a croissant with almond filling, a sausage patty (cause I like sweet and savory together) and a glass of milk. It was delicious and I feel so satisfied. Then I started planning lunch and decided on a fruit salad, and a couple boiled eggs with V-8 for my drink. I started to laugh about my lunch choices--all delicious food that I really like and will enjoy as much as my 'treat' breakfast!

I can already tell it's going to be a great weekend.

Best Wishes to you all~
What was I waiting for?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat May 03, 2008 2:14 pm

I had a treat breakfast, too, but it's not my only treat for the day.

My local farmer's market opened for the season today. There are about three bakeries that sell their goods there. I picked up a macaroon for later. Then I went to a small cafe for breakfast. I had a sweet crepe and cafe au lait and some fruit. I decided that as much as possible, that's going to be my routine when I go to the farmer's market. Just a little reward for myself on Saturday mornings. I thoroughly enjoyed it -- and am looking forward to my macaroon for later.

I usually bake on Saturday for the weekend, but I'm not sure what I'm going to bake or IF I'm going to bake this weekend. We'll see....
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Sat May 03, 2008 2:54 pm

I had my treat breakfast: 1/2 cup vegan pecan praline ice cream, 2 OUNCES pecan pie @125 calories/oz., and 1 tb. caramel sauce (homemade), 492 calories total. This is why I have to count calories; heaven knows how much it would be if I didn't. And that's a NORMAL human size portion, the kind a French woman would eat (sorry, Rose :)), in a salad sized bowl it only made it halfway up the sides.

The first thing it did was aggravate my migraine.

Then I realized I didn't want to eat ANY MORE -- the second S weekend that's happened.

Then the signal went on, "that's the treat for today, no more excess!" And I actually enjoyed drinking my water afterward and cleaning the sugar out of my mouth.

My husband bought me an ice cream maker. I put it in the closet in my studio. I don't want to deal with it until after all the weight is lost. :)

f
One must know his limitations. -- John Milius
Beginning weight: 115
Currently: Haven't a clue

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat May 03, 2008 2:58 pm

fkwan wrote:My husband bought me an ice cream maker. I put it in the closet in my studio. I don't want to deal with it until after all the weight is lost. :)

f
I have one that I'm thinking about digging out -- more for sorbets and granitas than ice cream (or the vegan equivalent). They're so refreshing in the summer. And heaven knows, I need to be "refreshed" when the weather gets hot and humid!

noSer

Post by noSer » Sat May 03, 2008 4:16 pm

Wanna know what came to mind? Buying a new outfit!
I actually did buy a new outfit! I have a wedding at the end of the month, and really needed something to wear to it. I was out garage saleing (doesn't look right with or without the e) and found a brand new outfit in what I thought was a size too small. Bought it anyway with the hopes that I'd be a little smaller by then, but it already fits! Yeah! It was great motivation for me. It will look even better with a few more pounds gone, and the price couldn't be beat. Now I just need shoes and accessories :) (Plus, I found baseball shoes for my son for 50¢ so I am feeling like the garage sale queen!)

So anyway, I guess a treat doesn't always have to be food. Who knew that was possible?

Have a great day!
It's more of a waste around the waist than it is in the garbage pail.
Beginning again 04/19
April 2019: 242 :(
July 29, 2019 218.5
Aug 5, 2019 220.5
Oct 28, 2019 205.5
Nov 11, 2019 203

Jaymiz

Post by Jaymiz » Sun May 04, 2008 12:13 am

noSer wrote:I actually did buy a new outfit! I have a wedding at the end of the month, and really needed something to wear to it.
... found a brand new outfit in what I thought was a size too small. Bought it anyway with the hopes that I'd be a little smaller by then, but it already fits! Yeah! It was great motivation for me.
Congrats, noSer, on already fitting into that new outfit! Awesome! :D
http://jaymiz.wordpress.com (The 'No S' Life)
"The more you do a thing, the easier it becomes" ~ Anon.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun May 04, 2008 1:51 am

Angelka, you just need a better class of sweet!

Go to a bakery, or make home-made. That's worth eating!

And it's not fun-sucking. Really good stuff tastes GREAT without the side-order of guilt.

And welcome to the food-snob club. When you don't eat much, it's gotta be the good stuff! I honestly think ordinary junk deadens our senses so we think "okay" stuff is... well, okay. And worth eating.

And it isn't.

roseha

Post by roseha » Sun May 04, 2008 4:00 am

I ordered a bathing suit on sale! I have not worn one since 2001 IIRC. I still have the old one but this one was on sale and looked so cute...I will have to lose at least 20 to wear it!

There's a motivation for you.

As far as the weekend, I have been more careful today than in the past. I did have a cheese bagel (by itself) and Chinese tofu/spinach soup and vegetables with cashews with brown rice and some mixed nuts (plus a yogurt) but that's basically all today. Trying not to go too overboard.

resting52

Post by resting52 » Sun May 04, 2008 1:38 pm

Same thing happened to me. Down here at the beach for just the weekend and the sky is the limit as far as food goes. Bought a fancy chocolate bar and I'm throwing it away because it just isn't that good. In the past I would have snarfed it regardless.

Resting

wosnes

Re: What's wrong with me??

Post by wosnes » Sun May 04, 2008 2:00 pm

angelka71 wrote:Since it's Friday, I began planning what horribly "evil" treat I'd reward myself with this week end.
Okay, this is one of my pet peeves. Treats -- even high calorie, high in fat and sugar food treats -- are not "horribly 'evil'". They're one of the pleasures of eating and living! Pleasure is not bad.

That was a pretty short -- especially for me -- rant!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun May 04, 2008 2:51 pm

wosnes wrote:
angelka71 wrote:Since it's Friday, I began planning what horribly "evil" treat I'd reward myself with this week end.
Okay, this is one of my pet peeves. Treats -- even high calorie, high in fat and sugar food treats -- are not "horribly 'evil'". They're one of the pleasures of eating and living! Pleasure is not bad.

That was a pretty short -- especially for me -- rant!
It's interesting how we attach morality to choices that have a low-morality index at best. Sure, self-disciple could be seen a virtuous, but that's internal and has nothing at all to do with the external of a delicious bite of Death By Chocolate. It's funny how we give the externals the power and the virtue (or not), rather than ourselves.

I had something pretty unpleasant happen in my life recently and haven't been able to hit the gym because of it. I have time today and was just wondering whether or not to be "good" and work out, when I started laughing and realized that yes, I could choose to get to the gym for all sorts of virtuous or self-care reasons (mood improvement, etc.) but that the workout in and of itself is neither good nor bad. It's my life choices that may or may not have the morality attached.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun May 04, 2008 3:42 pm

NoelFigart wrote:I could choose to get to the gym for all sorts of virtuous or self-care reasons (mood improvement, etc.) but that the workout in and of itself is neither good nor bad. It's my life choices that may or may not have the morality attached.
"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so".

Will was pretty darned smart. Some things really stand the test of time.

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sun May 04, 2008 4:53 pm

I had the same problem yesterday.
I went up and down the aisles of the supermarket and the bakery section wondering what my treat would be.
Nothing!
I had grapes for dessert!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun May 04, 2008 4:57 pm

3aday wrote:I went up and down the aisles of the supermarket and the bakery section wondering what my treat would be.
I don't think you'll often find your treat at the grocery, even in the bakery section. You might find the ingredients....

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sun May 04, 2008 5:32 pm

I don't bake....ever! :oops:
I have a wonderful bakery section at our whole foods market.
Beautiful cheesecakes, bread puddings, tirimisu, eclairs.
I also have a French cafe where I can buy desserts to go.....
I have been on No S for a long time now (joined in 2006 and probably actually jumped on board and commited in the middle of 2007) but I don't always desire a treat on the S days....and I am OK with that.
For me, permission to eat sweets on S days also gives me permission to not eat sweets if my body doesn't desire it.
I wasn't always like that though. I used to have binge free for alls.
Now, my S days are much calmer.
I would rather go and eat nachos at a Mexican restaurant or indulge in a margarita! :D

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu May 08, 2008 12:28 am

rut like creature that I am :) I have zeroed in on a panoply of sweets that are my favorites ... I pretty much want those! and just figure out which ones I want THIS weekend!

I have gone through many eating programs where we eat what we want in one shape shade or fashion ....
the funniest one was on demand feeding .... we had tons of chocolate goodies from Trader Joes in our cupboards ... so much so that if you opened a cupboard a tin might just fall on your head .. I ate ridiculously poptarts chocolate cake and ... the funny thing was after awhile there was kind of healing so that sweets I started becoming aware that just like in other areas there were certain sweets I didn't like want or ENJOY ... while there were others that for me ... just divine ...

have fine tuned that list through the years... tend to stick with those on S days ... but if I am feeling adventurous I will step out ,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Buffalo Gal

Post by Buffalo Gal » Thu May 08, 2008 3:09 pm

Hot Fudge Sunday with home made whipped cream, chopped nuts and a cherry. Once a month my son goes over to Sweet Tooth (which had the nerve to move even closer to my house) and buys me one. It is about the only sweet I need to have once in awhile. Now if the bakery gets any closer I am in deep dodo...bread will kill me!

Buffalo Gal!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Jaymiz

Post by Jaymiz » Thu May 08, 2008 8:25 pm

The whole idea of a "special" weekend treat has inspired me to think -- "What would I MOST like to eat this weekend?" And, i came up with an answer... okay, two. LOL :lol:

I really want a Drumstick Ice Cream cone this weekend (caramel), and I want a Caramilk chocolate bar (see a theme here?). So, those are what I'm seriously looking forward to, and am anxiously awaiting Saturday's arrival! ;)

Of course, every weekend I still feel I *need* a Coke, too -- and lately I've taken to buying a 2L bottle of it, instead of having to run to the store both Saturday and Sunday. Now I just make one trip, and it lasts all weekend. ;) Yay for weekend freedom! :D
http://jaymiz.wordpress.com (The 'No S' Life)
"The more you do a thing, the easier it becomes" ~ Anon.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Fri May 09, 2008 11:33 am

I never have this problem for S days. There is always plenty of choice for me for treats.

I love the fact that over the weekend I can enjoy a few bites of this or a handful of that with no guilt. Amazingly the more I stick to the N days, my S days are 3 standard meals with a couple of snacks if something takes my fancy (usually savoury / fruit) and a sweet after dinner (usually one of the following - dark chocolate / liquorice / fudge / coconut ice / nougat) which I thoroughly enjoy.

Once I got over the 'fear' of eating over the weekends I began to find loads that I really fancied - usually foods that would be totally forbidden on any other diet.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Fri May 09, 2008 12:10 pm

Hey, Mo!

Do you remember, when you very first began No-S-ing, were the weekends as easy for you then as they are now? Or did it take a while for you to relax and let them be what they are now? Did you used to have "a big sweet tooth"? Please share some of your story, if you would.
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 09, 2008 1:49 pm

Sheesh! I used to enjoy sweets so much! It's not even that much fun now that they're not forbidden. Reinhard, I hope you're happy for being such a fun sucker!
I'm sorry! :-)

I don't feel this myself -- I enjoy sweets more than I ever did before. And I think what you're feeling is probably just temporary. A lot of us come to no-s with such a messed up addictive, sneaking, itch-and scratch attitude to food in general (and sweets in particular) that ALL we previously enjoyed was their forbiddenness. So give it a few more weeks, I think enjoyment will return -- and better enjoyment. It's like the contrast between sordid adultery and happily married love.

Reinhard

flipturn

Post by flipturn » Fri May 09, 2008 2:37 pm

Thanks for the input, Reinhard! I am going to go to the nicest bakery in town and buy two (smallish) slices of cake , one for Saturday and the other for Sunday.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Fri May 09, 2008 3:06 pm

reinhard wrote:
I enjoy sweets more than I ever did before.
I think enjoyment will return -- and better enjoyment.
It's like the contrast between sordid adultery and happily married love.

Reinhard
Reinhard,
I love the concept.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

AnnaBanana

Post by AnnaBanana » Fri May 09, 2008 3:40 pm

You know what reading this thread brought to mind? I had read when people go try to get help with binge eating disorders, one of the first things that they do is tell them they can eat absolutely anything that they want. Nothing is forbidden. It is an attempt to normalize your attitude and concept of food. To get rid of the concept of good and bad attached to food. It is not unusual to gain weight at the beginning before the emotions and minds of people begin to settle down and their relationship with food normalizes.

Kinda like what happens when you first start this. Possible weight gain and overeating before you begin to stabilize.

I think that without ever intending to, Reinhard came up with a program that really would work well for a lot of people with binge eating as a result from years of dieting. Now I'm not talking about people that binge eage in response to deep seated psychological issues like sexual abuse or physical abuse, but the binge eating instead that comes from dieting.
Laura Ann
SW: 282
CW: 173
GW: 150-185

Then the time came when the pain of staying a tight bud became greater than the risk it took to bloom.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat May 10, 2008 5:53 am

A lot of us come to no-s with such a messed up addictive, sneaking, itch-and scratch attitude to food in general (and sweets in particular) that ALL we previously enjoyed was their forbiddenness.
isn't that the truth! :D
I think that without ever intending to, Reinhard came up with a program that really would work well for a lot of people with binge eating as a result from years of dieting.
LauraAnn, that is so freaky! I was JUST telling my husband that exact thing this evening!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue May 13, 2008 8:00 am

Just Jill wrote:Hey, Mo!

Do you remember, when you very first began No-S-ing, were the weekends as easy for you then as they are now? Or did it take a while for you to relax and let them be what they are now? Did you used to have "a big sweet tooth"? Please share some of your story, if you would.
I was a total perma-snacker prior to No S and I found that difficult to beat and as a result a lot of my weekends were returns to the old behaviour. I have really found that the longer I do vanilla No S without my own tweaking, I am happier and less afraid of weekends and just enjoy myself and amazingly 3 meals with the odd treat has become the norm.

I still have a sweet tooth and constantly have to remind myself that it is an N day and I can have it over the weekend (by when I have often forgotten.) Because I know I can have goodies over the weekend I often plan what I want and on Saturday I will go and buy it (fudge, coconut ice, liquorice, dark chocolate, custard slice, chocolate mousse) and really enjoy it. However I will just as often have a few (rather than the whole box as in the past) smarties or kids sweets between meals - and enjoy them without guilt to statisfy my sweet tooth.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Tue May 13, 2008 12:36 pm

MerryKat wrote:amazingly 3 meals with the odd treat has become the norm.
That is amazing! I look forward to that day. Thanks for sharing.
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

JustAnnie

Post by JustAnnie » Thu May 15, 2008 1:00 am

I think there are people who are truly carb addicted......I am one. They are the ones who will understand your original post in this thread because once they get started on a carb feeding frenzy it just goes on and on and you end up dreaming about your next sweet treat and you end up making yourself get through the day just so you can sink your teeth into it. Once you break that carb chain though, things change and it's amazing how little you crave something sweet. It's a real break through moment when you finally understand what carbs can do to you!!
Just Annie

You Can't Fail Until You Quit Trying

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Thu May 15, 2008 2:03 am

I really enjoyed reading all the posts on this thread! I love my S days (well, I pretty much love my No S days too)! I remember my first S weekend, and I was looking for a dessert treat at a market...everything had lots of chemicals in it or...high fructose corn syrup...my new worst 4-letter word HFCS. I think I had some really good quality dark chocolate that first S day. Now, I deliberately go to a fabulous chocolate shop or bakery and order 4 servings of something to share with my husband. That way I have something for both days. I don't usually snack on my S days unless it's fruit or nuts. And I do stay with the single plate. And I enjoy my treats more than ever! Not only that, I am getting to the point where I am extremely sensitive to sweets and to salty things. This past weekend we had strawberry-rhubarb pie. Today I was offered a slice of strawberry pie, so I just asked to bring it home and my husband ate it. I was so amazed that it didn't even phase me to give it to him! I know my S days are coming!

Great thoughts, everyone!! Thanks!
Diane
Visit www.MaximizeYourWellness.com
(Ok, a shameless plug). I'm just here to learn how to say No to the S!

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Mon May 09, 2011 7:46 pm

More "food for thought."

I find that my sweet tooth was more habitual than desire-based. Now that I've cleared sweet treats out of the house, I'm much less likely to indulge on weekends.

I'm lucky. And I know it. Food isn't particularly complicated for me. I haven't lived the rollercoaster that so many others have.

But in the last few years, life threw some severe obstacles in my path, most notably the paralysis if my life partner. Since we're not out hiking every weekend, I've been slowly adding weight. So, things have to -- and will -- change.