Who's been noSing for longer than three months?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

trytrytry

Who's been noSing for longer than three months?

Post by trytrytry » Sat May 03, 2008 1:02 pm

I am just a beginner... Wondering how long people last...

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat May 03, 2008 2:07 pm

There are quite a few here who aren't "newbies." The great thing about No-S is that it's habits that you can live with for a lifetime. It's good old common sense rules about eating that used to be very common. It's how people used to eat before gazillions of experts, the food industry, the media and the government got involved in telling us what and how to eat. It's how we ate before we all became overweight! To a large extent, it's how people around the world have traditionally eaten (though they don't always stick to 3 meals or just one plate full of food).

It's simple, but not always easy. It gets easier and easier as time goes by.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

trytrytry

Post by trytrytry » Sat May 03, 2008 2:18 pm

I definitely think all the concepts are great. And that once the habit is developed it does get easier. And I am definitely going to try.
I do worry though about this moment, just before it is a really well rooted habit, when it becomes less new/less exciting, when we feel down and miserable that this diet/system it is no less difficult to abandon than anything else. I guess I just worry about my strong will and that's why I was wondering...

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat May 03, 2008 2:26 pm

If you're accustomed to eating like most Americans -- one continuous meal daily -- it's not easy at first. But like I said and the quote in my signature says, the more you do it, the easier it gets. Not only does it get easier, it gets more and more exciting when you realize you can eat whatever you want and don't have to deprive yourself of anything. You will cut down on the frequency of snacks, seconds and sweets, but you don't have to eliminate anything from your diet. It's a lot more liberating than it is constricting.

Even better, no one is telling you what to eat and what foods you must eliminate in order to lose weight (or be healthy). I once read in a diet book that people got fat eating what they liked. In order to lose weight, they would have to eat what they didn't like (and one of those foods was one I particularly dislike). None of that here!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

trytrytry

Post by trytrytry » Sat May 03, 2008 2:44 pm

Thanks for your posts! I guess my eating habits are a bit like a one long meal indeed.

So hopefully it will end up working for me:
- I do believe that it makes perfect sense
- I know I actually feel way better when I don't snack.
- and at the same time hopefully knowing that I can sometimes let it go a bit (eg have a piece of cake on the weekend) will allow me to feel free and not restrained.

take care!
Last edited by trytrytry on Wed May 07, 2008 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

noSer

Post by noSer » Sat May 03, 2008 4:05 pm

Try-

I'm still in my first month, so don't have the long term experience you're looking for, but I can tell you that it's usually two weeks for me on a diet before I burn out. This plan, I'm actually getting more excited about as time goes by. The freedom is tremendous. I love not having to tell the world I'm on a 'diet'. And it is quickly not becoming a diet, but just the way I eat now. Sure, I'd love quick results, who wouldn't. But more than that, I want lasting results, and with this I know I can have that. So give it a try. It's not always easy, but it is simple, and it does work.

Have a great day!
It's more of a waste around the waist than it is in the garbage pail.
Beginning again 04/19
April 2019: 242 :(
July 29, 2019 218.5
Aug 5, 2019 220.5
Oct 28, 2019 205.5
Nov 11, 2019 203

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sat May 03, 2008 6:27 pm

I don't think the reason you don't see a lot of "old timers" on the board is that after a while, No S becomes automatic and there's really not much more to talk about.

The novelty I think most people experience isn't so much from No S itself but that it's uncomplicated AND it yields results, most commonly to free one from the fixation on food. That's rare in Diet-land.

Don't worry about sustainability. No S is for life. I think most of us can contemplate that statement and not feel whiny, as if we were going to lose out on something.

flipturn

Post by flipturn » Sat May 03, 2008 7:42 pm

Hi, all -- I haven't been No S-ing for more than three months (just about one month, in fact) but I thought that I would jump into the conversation here. Yesterday I ran into a nutritionist I consulted last year. (I mentioned her in another thread as an example of dumb things that I had done in an effort to lose weight.) Her theory was that I needed to space my meals further apart so that I could have three snacks a day of no more than 200 calories. Okay, that didn't work, because who really wants to eat Laughing Cow lite and Ryveta, or 15 grapes and 1/4 C. of yogurt, or something like that. I told her yesterday that I had discovered No S and love it. She looked a bit perplexed and asked if I was happy not having snacks. Yes, yes I am!

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Sat May 03, 2008 8:23 pm

I started No S-ing in January. I think that the reason this plan is sustainable over the long term for me it because it is basically a maintenance plan. It isn't like we have to learn one plan for losing weight, then another plan after we hit our goal weight.

Don't worry too much about your will. I believe this is more of a change of habit, than an exercise in strong will. Once I got out of the habit of eating every morsel of food I saw, it became very simple to continue. Just please trust the process, and trust your body to know what it needs. Give No S the initial 21 days, and see if it "feels" like the answer for you!

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat May 03, 2008 8:35 pm

Actually, there are a number of us here that have been on for a while - look at the lefthand side, where the user info is, and you can see when people joined. Though the board has been deluged with new folks, there are a number of "pre-book" people here.

The general posting from "old-timers" comes and goes. Every now an then someone pops in to say "still doing well"... or slinks back and says "okay, I thought I could make up my own rules, and now I'm back with X amount to lose." (They get a warm welcome).

It is a good lifetime plan. It does get easier - what CrazyCatLady says is exactly right.

Mavilu

Re: Who's been noSing for longer than three months?

Post by Mavilu » Sat May 03, 2008 11:58 pm

trytrytry wrote:I am just a beginner... Wondering how long people last...
Well, I ate this way most of my life, until I got all the bad habits of a society that was new to me at the time.
Now, I'm coming back to my old roots and my old basics.
You sound discouraged from the get-go, as others say, eating this way might take some time to adjust to, especially if this is truly new to you, but because this isn't a diet, just a way of eating and seeing your food, it has all you need to keep at it for ever; there's no deprivation, only moderation and resposibility.
Good luck and welcome to the boards!.

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sun May 04, 2008 9:57 pm

I started in Dec 2005 (more like Jan 2006) but it wasn't until 2007 that I chose the No S lifestyle.
I only recently started posting again after the book came out to encourage the new No S'ers. I didn't want them to make the same mistake I did by not doing it when they first didn't see results. I can't imagine how much sooner I would have found peace if I didn't start and stop.
It does become automatic after several months and you really no longer feel the need to post. Lately, I feel like posting because it's my way of life and I wanted others to see how wonderful the No S lifestyle is.

When I started No S, it was "Half Essed".
I was still in dieting mode.
I then stopped and started other diets and tried to incorporate additional rules which all backfired.
When I finally made a mental decision to do Vanilla No S, I began to have success after several months.
The first few months I didn't really lose but my body changed shape.
Then, out of nowhere, I started to lose (once No S was habit).

Below is an post from about a month ago which I will repost:

I have to add this disclaimer: When I first started in 2006, I was THE WORST NO S'ER SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TIME!

Most of 2007 I spiraled into "other diets" insanity...and then I made a conscious decision to just buckle down and do it.

It wasn't easy at first (I wish I could lie) but it can be done.

Reinhard was right when he wrote it can take like 12 attempts.
I think it took me like a 112 attempts.
Well, maybe 1112 attempts.
But, when you can get your mind on board, it becomes easy as cake!
(Which you can't have Monday through Friday!) Razz

and

It is amazing how this lifestyle is when you just make a commitment that eating between meals or after dinner is not an option.
I started No S and it took me months and months to even get on track.
I started in 2006 and I did not create any boundaries at all. My posts back then are embarrassing!
Then, I became obsessed with diets again. I did everything. I started eating a vegetarian diet, then a vegan diet, then back to a low carb diet, then only organic eating, then trying to eat when you are hungry and stopping when you are full and you know what happenned? I didn't lose weight and was eating all the time and I was back to focusing on food, weight, and diets.
Finally, one day, I said to myself...eating in between meals is not an option. You can train your hunger. You really can.
My manifesto: Eating more than one plate of food is not an option. Soda and juice during the week is not an option. Dessert Monday through Friday....not an option.
I started eating 3 adult meals a day and that's it. I didn't use little plates, I didn't count my bites (which I have done), I didn't eat a fistful of food. I ate a normal size plate of food.
After I did the first month, there was no willpower involved. Just habit.
I have peace with food. I have peace with my body being able to heal itself slowly. I have also incorporated the power of habit into other areas of my life.
Please realize, this works. Don't be discouraged if you don't lose weight right away. If you have been on diets for years or decades...it can take a long time to start losing but once you start, it will be gradual and consistent.
Developing the habit of eating 3 meals a day without snacking does great things for your mind, your self esteem, and your confidence. It is truly amazing. The day will come when you start having to buy smaller clothes and your body will adjust to the weight it wants to be.
I posted this because it is my wish that you go full force in the beginning.
Don't waste months and months like I did and put extra unnecessary rules like I did (weighing, measuring, focusing on what I could and couldn't eat).
You deserve much more than dieting insanity and madness and your body and state of mind will thank you for it.
Also, for a few months I had some unbelievable S days. But, the habits you develop during your N days really do carry over to your S days.
Now, I stick to 3 meals on the weekend and usually my S days consist of dessert or some caffeinated sugary goodness in cup.
I try to compare this to quitting smoking. I tried 8 million gazillion times to quit. I tried everything, but when I quit cold turkey the option to take a puff was gone.
It was painful and hard, but I survived. The first week was the hardest (like No S). But, overtime, you resolve gets stronger and you don't smoke.
You can do this. Have faith in your ability to create habits and don't rely on your emotions.
I pray that someone reads this post and they stop spending time on trying to figure out why they eat emotionally and just develop the habit of eating 3 meals a day. You will have more time living and finding your purpose and your life will thank you for it.
I think of all my fellow No Ser's and I send you positive thoughts and blessings your way. YOU CAN DO THIS!

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sun May 04, 2008 9:58 pm

Yikes!
My post was really long!
Sorry!

Hope it helps though.

Jesseco

Post by Jesseco » Sun May 04, 2008 10:05 pm

3aday, I cannot tell you how encouraging and helpful your posts are to me! Thank you for returning to the board to help us who are newer at this. It is wonderful to learn of long-term success, and to believe that I will be as encouraging as you are in a while!

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sun May 04, 2008 10:08 pm

You already are Jesseco!

:D

trytrytry

Post by trytrytry » Sun May 04, 2008 10:20 pm

Hi all - thanks so much for your replied. And 3aday - I love your post.

I've heard about noS first time a week ago and decided to give it a go. And ok - so far - I have not been as successful as one may wish, but I do feel like my approach to food is changing.

It's a bit like a difference between "you can't" and "you can but later":

When it comes to sweets and a diet - you can't. So you feel like you really want it. And then you end up snapping because it's not really fair that you can't but others can, is it?

On noS, you can but later. Which makes it just so much different. You are not a child after all, you know you can't have everything NOW. And this way it not only that you want it less. This way escaping into food when feeling miserable makes less sense, because you are not escaping from the food to start with.

So we'll see. But I do feel like noS is messing with my head. In a good way :D I am just hoping it is a long term messing.

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sun May 04, 2008 10:23 pm

The only one who fails is the one who quits.
I promise you, it took me MONTHS before I had a successful No S day.
Then I stopped and tried every other plan under the sun.
But, I new in my heart and mind No S was normal eating.
So, I kept trying and eventually, it stuck.
So....trytrytry.....Don't stop trying!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu May 08, 2008 12:11 am

when it becomes less new/less exciting, when we feel down and miserable that this diet/system it is no less difficult to abandon than anything else. I guess I just worry about my strong will and that's why I was wondering...
trytrytry,

I am only in my 7th week, but I have already had some ... new/less exciting days :D

this is what I have found ... I LOVE my S days, the rhythm of it all is very nice, the only option I have is to return to binging dieting and disordered eating .. OH MY GOD or SIX MEALS A DAY :D yikes!

No S is just a good way to eat ... I think that is what will keep me here for the long haul ... actually for ME it's just the BEST way to eat!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

trytrytry

Post by trytrytry » Thu May 08, 2008 12:37 am

Hi all,

I am on my 9th day now (so far only the last three days on habit) and I am loving it so far. I can definitely relate to all those things you say about how your attitude to food changes. I'm getting better in controlling my hunger and even more importantly distinguishing hunger form boredom/stress/habit eating. I do feel way better, both physically and psychologically.

I guess though, the tricky part for me will be whether I will be able to keep up with it when I get really stressed/depressed -I think you mentioned it somewhere blueskighs - it is under stress when we find out how strong our habit is. And because I am definitely and emotional eater, I don't trust myself (yet?) that I will be able to keep it going for long, because I know this is going to be a stressful year.

But hey - I don't want to sound to negative - so far so good, I guess there is no point worrying about things that did not happen.

So: If I feel rubbish I will go for a walk.
As opposed to: if I feel rubbish I will eat so much food that I will feel like a balloon filled with rubbish instead.

trytrytry

Post by trytrytry » Thu May 08, 2008 12:41 am

Just wanted to add one thing: I guess all my doubts come from the fact that it all sounds just too good to be true :roll:

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu May 08, 2008 1:11 am

3aday wrote:
You can do this. Have faith in your ability to create habits and don't rely on your emotions.
I pray that someone reads this post
and they stop spending time on trying to figure out why they eat emotionally
and just develop the habit of eating 3 meals a day.
3aday,
Thanks for the post.
Good advice, and very encouraging.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

rose

Post by rose » Thu May 08, 2008 7:41 am

trytrytry wrote:Just wanted to add one thing: I guess all my doubts come from the fact that it all sounds just too good to be true :roll:
Well, some people overlook the "long term" part in the excitement of discovering a new diet. It can take a long time before getting results. I think I got results in my 1st month only because I started right after the christmas holidays (so of course I ate less in my first month of No-S than during the holiday and lost the most recently gained pounds quickly) and because I didn't weigh in often enough to be discouraged by the up and downs. But actually I think I only had the diet down after two full months - that's why my 2nd month was a plateau.
It takes a while to first get the N-day habits down and have them become mostly effortless. And then most people need to have a hard look at the quantity of food they are eating and admit that they won't starve if they eat just a bit less.
It takes a while to stop being an idiot on weekends (or it took me quite some time last year, and I had an idiocy relapse 3 err rather 5 months ago which I am having a hard time letting go).
Started NoS Jan 07 at 74.5kg (164 lbs, BMI 26.7)
Stable since Jan 08 at 64kg (141 lbs, BMI 23)
My progress chart

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu May 08, 2008 2:09 pm

rose wrote: It takes a while to first get the N-day habits down and have them become mostly effortless.
And then most people need to have a hard look at the quantity of food they are eating
and admit that they won't starve if they eat just a bit less.

It takes a while to stop being an Idiot on weekends
(or it took me quite some time last year,
and I had an idiocy relapse 3 err rather 5 months ago
which I am having a hard time letting go).
Rose,
Thanks for sharing your experience with this.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com