30 day Mark

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Buffalo Gal

30 day Mark

Post by Buffalo Gal » Mon May 05, 2008 6:41 pm

My dentist once told me I had to floss more. He said if you do something for 30 days it will become a habit. That was probably 10 years ago and to this day I cannot leave the house w/o flossing.

Well tomorrow will be 30 days of Nosing for me :D

I have to stop at my doctors office for a blood pressure check tomorrow morning and they always weigh me. I have only weighed in once since I started Nosing so I have no idea what to expect.

Though I am curious I have learned to not depend too much on what the scale says. I feel better and am no longer afraid of hunger pains. I walk more and sleep better.

So my first goal was to make it through 30 days. I've had green days and red days. Thankfully I've had more green days than red days.

My next goal is to add 20 minutes of exercise everyother day. I am going to do so Yoga (Sun Salutation) then add some marching in place and a few squats and lunges then throw in a few moves with dumbells.

Wish me Luck!

Buffalo Gal
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Mon May 05, 2008 7:39 pm

Good luck! I'm sure you'll have a great report!!! :D

f
One must know his limitations. -- John Milius
Beginning weight: 115
Currently: Haven't a clue

Buffalo Gal

Post by Buffalo Gal » Tue May 06, 2008 12:22 pm

Lost 6 pounds in the first 30 days :D Gained so much more in insight :!:

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue May 06, 2008 1:07 pm

Buffalo Gal wrote:Lost 6 pounds in the first 30 days :D Gained so much more in insight :!:
Congratulations, Buffalo Gal.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue May 06, 2008 1:58 pm

Congratulations!

It's a little tricky to put an exact number on how long it takes to form a habit, but there's no question your dentist had it about right. And exact numbers are motivationally very helpful -- they give you something concrete and attainable to strive for (and congratulate yourself on). I used to recommend "21 days" because it's a numeralogically/aesthetically attractive number with impressive anecdotal backing (and about right), but now I'm inclined to go a little longer, with a full calendar month (maximizes the motivational impact of the habitcal).

Reinhard

angelka71

Post by angelka71 » Wed May 07, 2008 4:34 am

Great! Good for you!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed May 07, 2008 11:20 pm

just call me sllllllllllllllooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww! :D

i have found that a very good start can be made in 21 ... 30 days time ... hey you have to START!

but for heavy habit changes which I consider NO S to be I would look at realistically for me 14 to 24 months.... why so long? getting through at least one calendar year of holidays, birthdays, anniversarys, etc ... and then getting back through the loop again ....

i find that for things like quitting drinking, smoking and coffee, that is about the time it takes to develop a DIFFERENT automatic reaction UNDER STRESS ....

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Buffalo Gal

Post by Buffalo Gal » Fri May 09, 2008 5:29 pm

Hi Blueskighs!

When I quit smoking (21 years ago) I just stopped. I smoked almost two packs a day and my 5 year old son was driving me nuts. However, it took me 5 years to believe that I would never smoke again.

So...yes it takes a longer than 30 days to have a "habit" become a way of life. It's just that the past month has been such an eye opener for me! It went by so fast. I feel comfortable saying no to sweets and snacks during the week and am really trying to focus on portions and food choices.

Even if I have a bad day it's not too hard to get back on track. All of this after only 30 days.

Buffalo Gal

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat May 10, 2008 5:48 am

Buffalo Gal,

I just quit one day when I quit smoking too. I don't really remember much else about it.

And I agree the seven weeks I have been doing No S have been completley transformative for me as well.

I also will be thrilled when I have been doing it a bit longer!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey