Finally Read the Book

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoelFigart

Finally Read the Book

Post by NoelFigart » Mon May 05, 2008 7:34 pm

Finances being what they are, I wasn't able to buy a copy of The No S Diet until recently. I was able to sit down and read it this afternoon, and really found it enjoyable and sensible.

(Yes, Reinhard, I'll write an Amazon review of it quite soon!)

But for any of you who are on this board who haven't picked up a copy, I'm going to encourage you to do exactly that. Reinhard's delightful, wry style translates into a really nice, easy read. Though, I'm having a hard time detecting what his co-author, Ben Kallen, was adding as the style reads very much like Reinhard's website entries and podcasts. Possibly that's quite a compliment, too.

The book is quite clear, concise and puts the ideas forward in a nice, discrete "plate" for perfect No-S consumption. Do pick it up and give it a read, if you haven't.
Last edited by NoelFigart on Mon May 05, 2008 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jesseco

Re: Finally Read the Book

Post by Jesseco » Mon May 05, 2008 7:56 pm

NoelFigart wrote: Reinhard's delightful, wry style translates into a really nice, easy read. Though, I'm having a hard time detecting what his co-author, Ben Kallen, was adding as the style reads very much like Reinhard's website entries and podcasts. Possibly that's quite a compliment, too.

The book is quite clear, concise and puts the ideas forward in a nice, discreet "plate" for perfect No-S consumption. Do pick it up and give it a read, if you haven't.
I agree with your assessment, Noel. I really wonder also about his co-author, since as you wrote, the style reads very much like the site.

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Mon May 05, 2008 8:00 pm

Co-author? who? :lol: I think the only thing he had to do with the book is the forward was it not?

I don't know....I do know it reads just like Reinhard and this site.
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

Jaymiz

Post by Jaymiz » Mon May 05, 2008 8:32 pm

I just got my copy of the book late last week, and I had it finished in about 2 days. It was very easy reading, and I'm really glad to have the plan's information in a "portable" format now, too!

Anyone else loving the size of the book?! It's just perfect for sticking it in your bag to take it somewhere... I just wish there was a hardcover. Someday maybe? LOL

:idea:
http://jaymiz.wordpress.com (The 'No S' Life)
"The more you do a thing, the easier it becomes" ~ Anon.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Mon May 05, 2008 8:52 pm

i loved the book so much
that I bought two more copies for two of my out-of-state
Diet Power buddies,
and had Amazon ship the book to them direct.

I'm very much looking forward to discussing it with them
after they've read it.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue May 06, 2008 1:12 pm

Guess what?
I was talking on the phone to my sister yesterday,
and telling her I'm working not to snack,
and SHE started telling ME about this Woman's Day article
she'd read about No S,
and how she had tried to follow the suggested menus in the article for awhile.
I told her we were talking about the SAME diet,
and arranged to send her a book.
So, now I've bought 3 books for other people and had Amazon ship them direct.
I'm so excited.
I can't wait till they read them and then talk to me about it.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue May 06, 2008 1:45 pm

My coauthor, Ben Kallen, was enormously helpful in terms of editing and encouraging and lending the book a touch of Authority -- but the most helpful thing he did was giving me a very long leash. The goal was to keep the basic tone and style of the website, without it reading like just a printout of a web site -- so a little more depth, a little more structure, smoother transitions. I'm very happy you think we succeeded!

Thank you for the amazon review, Noel! (I see it's live now). Thank you for recommending it (and sending it!) to your family and friends, BrightAngel!

Reinhard

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue May 06, 2008 4:11 pm

BrightAngel wrote:SHE started telling ME about this Woman's Day article she'd read about No S, and how she had tried to follow the suggested menus in the article for awhile.
It was mentioned in Woman's Day, too? Wow.

I was just reading the reviews on Amazon for No-S and decided to read the reviews for Pam Anderson's The Perfect Recipe for Losing Weight and Eating Great while I was there. One of the biggest complaints about Anderson's book is no nutritional info with the recipes. I was thinking about what she wrote in her book about looking at family pictures from the 50s and 60s and noting that everyone was slim.

Guess what? There was no nutritional info or calorie counts on food products or recipes at that time. There were also no low-fat, no-fat, low-carb or sugar free foods either. Just people eating good food, in moderatae amounts and moving their bodies more.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Shirls

Post by Shirls » Tue May 06, 2008 8:02 pm

I just got a message to say my copy of the book will arrive on Thursday :D I also ordered Walk Away the Pounds which will be in the same parcel. Hooray 8)
Don't wait for the storm to be over - learn to dance in the rain.

Jaymiz

Post by Jaymiz » Wed May 07, 2008 2:45 pm

Shirls wrote:I just got a message to say my copy of the book will arrive on Thursday :D I also ordered Walk Away the Pounds which will be in the same parcel. Hooray 8)
Yay! :D
http://jaymiz.wordpress.com (The 'No S' Life)
"The more you do a thing, the easier it becomes" ~ Anon.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed May 07, 2008 11:02 pm

Well I LOVE the book ... it is what opened the portal in my mind between SUGAR ADDICT and REALLY BAD SUGAR HABIT! :D

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey