No Loss after three weeks!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Sueze

No Loss after three weeks!

Post by Sueze » Tue May 06, 2008 5:54 pm

:cry: Hi! This is my 3rd week on No S and I have not lost any weight! I was down 2lbs. on Friday, but by Monday I was back up two. I did enjoy some dessert and drinks on Saturday, date night with hubby! However, that was my big indulgence! Have been faithful on No S days and am getting frustrated.

Hubby started same time I did and is down 10 lbs. I am very proud of him, but feel extremely upset at my lack of any visible results! I am working out 3x a week, so I thought I would see some significant loss at this point! I am starting to loss faith, even though I do enjoy the simpicity of the plan, and I am no longer a slave to low carbs, bad carbs and the llike!

Any one have any advice as to why I have not had any loss at this point. I have no health issues, not taking any meds, so I am baffled. Have 20 lbs to lose, regained after three and half years prior South Beach loss! Would appreciate any thoughts, because I really don't want to start SB again! Thanks, Sue

jules

Post by jules » Tue May 06, 2008 6:43 pm

First of all, you should totally stop comparing yourself to your husband. Many men lose weight more quickly than women.

Secondly, give yourself a huge pat on the back for exercising. A truly, truly excellent habit.

Thirdly, why do you want results so fast? It takes most of us a lot of time to gain the weight. The only way to really lose weight fast requires something like amputation. :twisted: And I certainly wouldn't recommend that.

Finally, consider what the best metric is for marking progress. It very rarely is the scale. The most motivation things tend to be actual inches lost and the subsequent need to go to lower clothes size.

jules

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Tue May 06, 2008 7:33 pm

Sueze,

I hear and relate to your frustration. A couple months back, before I had discovered No S, my husband wanted to do an incentive thing with me around losing weight and I flat out refused to go that route. He ALWAYS loses more weight than I do. And he doesn't have to take drastic measures to do it, either. So, comparing what you do with what he does is being very unfair to yourself.

There are lots of threads regarding the scales and I would recommend you read some of them to get some insights into where you are in relation to those. We have been so conditioned to think that the scale is the ultimate authority as to how we are doing. It is not an equal and impartial judge! There are far too many factors playing into it for us to rely solely on what they say.

I am fairly new to this way of life (about the same time as you, I think), so I am not speaking from experience with this new plan, but speaking from experience with years of yo-yo dieting, I do know that those do not work. I hope you can get past the scale and give this more time.
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Tue May 06, 2008 11:10 pm

Do you want to do it fast or do you want to do it right? Can't have it both ways honey. What you are doing is pulling back your calorie intake as low as you can to lose weight, but so low that you can't continue to eat like this FOREVER. It's a delicate balance and it took me nearly 3 months to find my balance. It goes super slow for us that only need to lose a small amount. To do something sustainable you have to do so you hardly notice you are doing it at all. That small differernce will get you 20 pounds thinner, but it may take a year to get there. But once you get there, you will stay.

The difference between how much I used to eat and how much I eat now is HUGE, but the weight difference isn't - so you don't have to tell me about frustration. But I can sit around all day and blame others, or say this just isn't working. But in the end I know what I need to do to get the weight off and keep it off. It's not rocket science, it's just good old fashioned good eating habits and a decent amount of exercise. No-S just gives you the guidelines to do in a way that you can continue to do it.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but in your heart I think you know what I am saying is true.

Good luck and stick with it!!!!!!! It's going to be so worth it.
Dawn

angelka71

Post by angelka71 » Wed May 07, 2008 4:10 am

My husband ALWAYS loses weight faster than I do! So unfair! All he has to do is not eat AS many cheeseburgers as usual and he drops weight like nobody's business. DO NOT compare yourself with him!

It's still pretty early on for you; I think I've been no s-ing for about the same amount of time that you have and I haven't lost any weight either but on the positive side, I've read a few threads where some have actually gained a bit of weight.

I know it's discouraging, but just give it a little more time. Reinhard says that it takes a good month to see any weight loss and it's possible that it could take longer. Just stay away from the scale for a bit more and I'm sure that you'll see a loss.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed May 07, 2008 11:37 pm

my husband eats more AND loses faster ... OH WELL... other than that I absolutely adore him :D !

anyway ... there are SO MANY reasons you could not be showing a loss on the scale for three weeks from the time in your cycle to whether your body is losing fat and gaining muscle...

it is so hard to know ... but you are doing SO WELL i would keep the faith and stick with it!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

amyg

Post by amyg » Thu May 08, 2008 4:28 pm

I'M AT THE END OF WEEK 4....LOST 5 POUNDS AS OF LAST SATURDAY! GREAT HUH!? WELL, THIS MORNING I GOT WEIGHED BECUASE I'VE BEEN DOING SOOO WELL AND GUESS WHAT? I HAD "GAINED" THREE POUNDS SINCE SATURDAY.....NOT BLOODY LIKELY! I SHOULD NEVER HAVE GOTTEN ON THE SCALE! I'M REALLY THINKING OF JUST TRASHING THE STUPID SCALE AND GOING ONLY BY MY CLOTHES AND THE WAY I FEEL. I ADMIT I WAS FEELING LOUSY AFTER GETTING ON IT AND I HAD FELT SO GREAT JUST A MINUTE BEFORE....I'M NOT DOING THAT AGAIN! HANG IN THERE! THIS WORKS!! :lol:

JustAnnie

Post by JustAnnie » Thu May 08, 2008 9:58 pm

This shouldn't just be about losing weight......yep, I just said that. It should also be about eating healthier, being healthier and feeling good about having some self control. Stay off the blasted scales and focus on doing this right. The weight will slip off in good time. And if you want it to happen faster, get up and get moving. Exercise IS important.
Just Annie

You Can't Fail Until You Quit Trying

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Fri May 09, 2008 12:59 am

I'm on day 28 and haven't lost an ounce! But I'm not worried about it. I know I have to improve on my 'movement with purpose' which I started by just finishing a great 35min walk! And I'm learning more about my bodies real food needs. Much more in 28 short days then I have in all the years of accumulated crap diets I tried before!!
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

phano

Post by phano » Fri May 09, 2008 6:40 am

I've been doing this for five months. I recently weighed myself (after I noticed my pants were getting looser) and found I had lost 10 pounds. It takes time. Recently I've been re-reading French Women Don't Get Fat, and she says it takes about three months to get in the swing of new, healthier habits. I think that is definitely true. I had to do a lot of thinking about how I eat and why and how to manage my schedule so I could eat in a reasonable way. It's not easy! And three weeks is not a lot of time...you're still in the process of learning what works for you. Give the process a chance. It will work, but you need to keep evaluating what you're doing and what works for you. Maybe chucking the scale for awhile would be a good thing. I think it conditions us to keep looking for external validation. But really, we're trying to learn moderation for ourselves and our health. It sounds like you've built a really good three week foundation for good habits. That is a great accomplishment! Focus on what you're doing right and adjust as you are able. Everything will fall into place!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat May 10, 2008 5:58 am

phano,

CongratulationS! I think that is great!

Blueskighs

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Sat May 10, 2008 6:12 am

Sueze, you've already gotten great advice from everyone who has posted here. I'm just going to throw my support in your direction. I have a ton of weight to lose, like 100 pounds...and I think it is wise to stay away from the scale. Big changes occur from the inside out and those are the most important changes. I haven't lost much in these 28 days (somewhere between 2 and 5 pounds I think...so variable!), but I feel so much better, I'm more active, tire less easily, and have more self-confidence. I don't know where it comes from. I've made "friends" with my body and that's been decades in the making. My underwear feels more comfortable, so I say "screw the scale, go with how the clothing fits".

Diane
Visit www.MaximizeYourWellness.com
(Ok, a shameless plug). I'm just here to learn how to say No to the S!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat May 10, 2008 7:30 pm

Big changes occur from the inside out and those are the most important changes.
DianeAZ,

Amen to that!

Blueskighs

Karma rex

I'm in the same boat!

Post by Karma rex » Sun May 11, 2008 3:42 am

Weighed today as I only have only one S day left to hit my 21 days and not one pound lost! But I already knew that. What I have learned this last 21 days is that I can live without snacking or sweets. I won't starve to death between meals. I haven't lost any weight because I am putting to much calorie ladened food on my plate. So the next 21 days I am looking at healthier meal choices. Just because I can eat anything I want on my 9" plate doesn't mean I should fill it up with crispitos, eggmcmuffins, burgers, you get the point! I think I have learned a lot from just becoming aware of what I am putting on my plate for my 3 meals. I want to eat more vegetables and fish on the next go around. Rex

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun May 11, 2008 5:40 am

What I have learned this last 21 days is that I can live without snacking or sweets. I won't starve to death between meals.
Karma rex,

sounds like you the first twenty-one days have been a great success for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go!

Blueskighs

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Mon May 09, 2011 8:06 pm

I had a similar experience when I first started. I don't own a scale, so I'm only generally aware of my weight. I went to the doctor, for a routine checkup, and was horrified to record the highest weight of my life.

That was -- temporarily -- demoralizing. But I've realized that my goal was to establish better life habits, and not worry excessively about numbers.

Alexandra

Post by Alexandra » Thu May 12, 2011 3:46 pm

I have been doing No S and Shovelglove pretty consistently since the end of January. I have also experienced very minimal weight loss. I have tightened up and my pants are a bit looser but not to the point that anyone has noticed yet. I am a bit frustrated because I thought that by significantly reducing my snacking and sugary foods during the week I would be losing more weight. I am still eating a bit too much at some meals and that is holding me back. But I still would have expected more results at this point . Not discouraged to the point of giving up but certainly discouraged.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri May 13, 2011 4:15 am

Sorry you haven't had any reinforcement on the scale. I hope you stick with No S just for the discipline. Give it time to become more routine. Remember, after people lose weight, they have to eat in a way different from their high-weight days. You're learning to have gaps between meals and and discrete meals. Those are both necessary for maintenance of any weight loss anyway. Have you ever felt fine when you were dieting about being around workplace potlucks or having the chance for free cookies and stuff? It is a wonderful freedom to be able to be around food in so many situations and not pig out. I know some of my colleagues are often thinking they shouldn't have some of the offering and then are either feeling deprived or caving and feeling rotten. It's just not an issue for me anymore. For Teacher Appreciation week, we had brownies, sweet muffins, Boston creme pie, pumpkin crisp, and Ghirardelli chocolate squares at work. I put some pumpkin crisp and one little brownie in the freezer at work and saw that there was still a piece of cake I had put in there from last week! It's not that I think I can't anymore, it's that i don't, and I just don't care. That is worth a lot; only a small number of traditional dieters get there.

If you are intent on losing faster, you have some options.
Use smaller plates.
Have a larger ratio of light foods on your plate.
Take a brisk walk on non-workout days.

If you haven't lost anything in three months, I'd say there is still something else you can do that could help you reduce your calorie intake without resorting to calorie counting or prescribed meals. Ask us after three months.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Fri May 13, 2011 10:45 am

Alexandra, when you say minimal weight loss what do you mean? How much have you lost? How much do you want to lose?

Looser pants while enjoying your treats on weekends and having full meals seems like a good deal to me, even if it did take four months to get there.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri May 13, 2011 12:13 pm

oops i was answering to a person who wrote in 2008 ... now deleted :D
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Fri May 13, 2011 2:29 pm

Old thread or not, I think it's good to consider what this person was asking. It's an interesting discussion of reasonable (or unreasonable) expectations.

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Sun May 15, 2011 1:54 pm

Men have an advantage sometimes in the area of weightloss. I'm sorry no s is not working as you would have hoped. I want to encourage you to stick with it though because to be honest I have never met anyone who has been able to make a permanant lifestyle change to the SB diet.
I suggest that after a few more weeks and you have no weightloss that you maybe make a modification. Like me it sounds like you don't do crazy weekends, because I can't lose on two free days. If I want to stay in my 129-132 range I have to have smaller portions. I found personally that if I put my fork down after every bite, take a drink that I will fill up and not finish my food on the plate. Please give it more time and don't give up.