NoS=NoStuffing

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

resting52

NoS=NoStuffing

Post by resting52 » Wed May 07, 2008 2:04 pm

Starting new HabitCal today called NoStuffing. I'm ready to start getting a little hungry between meals. I know as long as I'm overloading my plates and never particularly hungry, I'm probably eating enough to maintain or increase my weight.

My plan is to really LOOK at my servings and realistically acknowledge if they are what would generally be called average, or if I'm going a bit over the top. Now that I know I won't starve between meals, this seems like the next logical step.

Of course, this is all the same stuff that Reinhard has in the book. It just takes me a little longer to get it through my skull. Plus I just love checking off green boxes.

Resting

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Wed May 07, 2008 2:39 pm

Sounds like a good idea.
Perhaps I'll also do something like that later.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Wed May 07, 2008 3:43 pm

Good idea, I might borrow that idea. It is the next step for me too, now that I've been successfully No S-ing for 26 days.

I'm also building new Habits with my own No Scale Habitcal, and a Movement With Purpose Habitcal.
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

resting52

Post by resting52 » Thu May 08, 2008 12:42 pm

Looking at other posts, particularly the ones by BrightAngel and Wosnes, the NoStuffing makes the next logical step for me. If I'm not getting HUNGRY for my meals, then I can't see how I could lose any weight. If I'm always well fed, even if I just get all those calories at mealtime, I'm know now that I'm overdoing it.

I need to remember that freedom does not equate to being what Reinhard would call an idiot. Freedom doesn't mean I can lie to myself about what I'm putting on my plate.

Resting

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu May 08, 2008 2:04 pm

resting52 wrote:I need to remember that freedom does not equate to being what Reinhard would call an idiot.
Freedom doesn't mean I can lie to myself about what I'm putting on my plate.
Resting,
Excellent point.
:!:
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Karma rex

"no stuffing" sounds like the way to go...

Post by Karma rex » Fri May 09, 2008 5:40 am

I am in the same boat. I think for some reason I am afraid I may get too hungry between meals. I usually am hungry in the evenings and it certainly isn't something I can't deal with so I'm not sure why I feel I have to eat 3 healthy sized meals. They fit on my plate but I either need to go down to really small plates or start making healthier choices and maybe eat half of what I am eating now. Such as 1 egg, 1 soy sausage or bacon and one piece of toast...I have been doing this almost three weeks and even though I have all green days I'm afraid I am eating too much! Will continue on though. I love the freedom of not thinking about food all the time...no worries about what I need to bring to work for snacks, etc. Rex

resting52

Post by resting52 » Tue May 13, 2008 12:47 pm

Have read a lot about the fear of hunger. I've been in the same boat. The odd thing is that it is totally UNFOUNDED! At least I know I'm NOT going to starve. My overloading my plates was founded in my fears.

"Truth in your mind gives you peace in your heart."

With the fear gone the plates are looking lighter and healthier.

Resting

DebbiAnn

Post by DebbiAnn » Tue May 13, 2008 2:31 pm

I agree with you. I working on my 3rd week and am still overloading that one plate. I still havent succeeded in the no snacking habit. I havent snacked on N days but the desire is still there. Also the temptation. I still have to mentally resist that, and sometimes it is difficult. I am still working on the first habit of No S ing. My next one will be to get more movement into my life. and then I will build on some others.

Good luck on your nstuffing. I will keep it in mind for when I am further along.

Debbi

katie1980

Post by katie1980 » Wed May 14, 2008 4:56 am

resting52 wrote:My overloading my plates was founded in my fears.

"Truth in your mind gives you peace in your heart."

With the fear gone the plates are looking lighter and healthier.
I got an email this morning saying that most of our fears are about as substantial as tissue paper. One couragous step can break right through them! I thought that was quite profound, and by reducing the amount on your plate you are taking that couragous step :) Good for you!

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Wed May 14, 2008 12:17 pm

dvmccown wrote: I still havent succeeded in the no snacking habit. I havent snacked on N days but the desire is still there. Also the temptation. I still have to mentally resist that, and sometimes it is difficult.
Debbi: Does this mean that you don't think it's a success unless the desire is gone? I think most would agree that if you don't snack (especially if you want to) that is a huge success! Give yourself credit, girl! It's just a nice bonus for the desire to go away. The real "success" is just in the doing of it.
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

resting52

Post by resting52 » Wed May 14, 2008 2:11 pm

I agree with that wholeheartedly. As I have put the gate on the three No S behaviors, they have become easier. I know Reinhard talks about habit a lot in the book. Whereas before I ate every time I got hungry because I was "afraid" not to, now I know that I won't die or starve before my next meal. I like the tissue paper=fear analogy. It is something that looks solid and substantial but realistically can be easily broken.

Isn't it interesting that this NoS light has been so similar to all of us.

Resting

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Wed May 14, 2008 7:25 pm

Debbie, I have been doing this for just over 3 months and I have not snacked once on an N day. That is more than a success to me, it's a down right miracle! But I don't think the desire ever goes away. How can it with food all around us, if not in person, then on TV or in magazines etc. I could be full as full can be and show me a picture of a chocolate chip cookie and I am going to "desire" it. I really think that Most people who eat sensibly and exercise regularly don't do it because that's what they "desire" but rather because they have made a choice to do so. You should be so proud of yourself for the great new choice you are making!! Woo Hoo for Debbie!

Resting 52: You are right where you should be. You have the habit going and know the next step is to cut down your portions. Baby steps are the way to go - it's not fast but it works. I did it the same way and I didn't lose anything until I worked on the portions, also I kicked up the exercise a bit and have worked harder to keep my S days saner. So a little across the board worked to get me started with the actual weight loss phase of this. Unfortunately I have slipped back a bit, but the good news is that I haven't gained anything back, but have maintained the 3 pound loss. So I need to get back to tightening things up. So it's good to know that vanilla No-S works to keep me from gaining. Slipping back doesn't have the same meaning that it once had. My bad days now are better than my best ever used to be. Hunger is a funny thing. I actually enjoy the feeling, it tells me that I am doing something right. Of course you don't want to be starving 3 hours prior to your next meal, but getting pretty hungry 1 hour prior to my next meal works for me. I found hunger is the key to a reasonable S day too. It will take you a while to find your balance. At first I cut back too much and it was hard, but I stuck it out and made it to the next meal without snacking and without going nuts at that next meal.

Best of luck to you.
Dawn

resting52

Post by resting52 » Fri May 23, 2008 12:23 pm

Well, today I deleted my NoStuffing HabitCal. Why? Because it is no longer an issue. That is totally amazing to me! I'm loving reading posts from others on this journey and seeing so many common experiences. By following the simple NoS rules, the big bad issues seem to take care of themselves.

Resting

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri May 23, 2008 3:17 pm

Well, today I deleted my NoStuffing HabitCal. Why? Because it is no longer an issue.
Resting,

that is great! I have found that to be true too! I no longer DESIRE to be stuffed!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Sat May 24, 2008 3:43 am

Oh, that is WONDERFUL Resting! How totally exciting that you focused in and corrected the stuffing! (I'm doing a little happy dance for you!) Woo Hoo!

resting52

Post by resting52 » Sat May 24, 2008 11:29 am

Thanks, Blue and CCL,

It really IS cool!

Resting