No S and kids.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

CrazyCatLady

No S and kids.

Post by CrazyCatLady » Thu May 08, 2008 2:43 pm

I have 4 children, ranging in age from young adult to elementary school. Today is weigh in day for my 6th grade daughter in gym. I have already seen a big awareness among her friends of weight, and concerns about whether or not they are "skinny" enough. One of her friends already skips meals in an effort to be thin. :(

My daughter weighs about 100 pounds. She weighed herself at home, so she knows the number before the official school weigh in. We talked about it, and she was not at all concerned about the number. Then she went to school, and got feedback from her friends. Mostly amazement that such a skinny person weighs 100 pounds! Maybe I should add that she is 5 feet 4 inches tall! :)

I talked to her this morning, as we were getting ready to leave the house. I let her know that she should enjoy being 100 pounds now, as she will never weigh this little again! (I believe that she will grow about 6 more inches in height, and will add some curves as she matures.) We have talked a little about No S, since the family can see the changes I am making. I let her know that most likely, she will continue to have healthy eating habits, and like my sisters, will not have a weight problem. And I let her know that if it ever became a problem for her, I would remind her of No S, and she would be fine.

No S is a great tool to teach the younger generation not to fear eating when they are hungry.

Jaymiz

Post by Jaymiz » Thu May 08, 2008 8:32 pm

I haven't yet run into those sorts of problems with my kids -- or with my daughter, in general -- but I'm sure they're coming. My son is 10yrs and my daughter is 7.5yrs.

I'm so glad to know of a *sensible* way to eat so that I can honestly tell my daughter, and SHOW her, that diets don't work. I'm happy that NoS is basically how we've already been doing things with our kids... hubby and I have always had a 'rule' (for both the kids and ourselves) that treats were for the weekends, but not during the week ((not that I, personally, ever followed this rule when everyone else was gone! :oops: )). The only exception to this rule (with them) was just after Halloween or Easter -- when you need to get the candy eaten faster and out of the house. ;) But, I may even be rethinking that, because they get soooo much, that they're still eating candy through the week months later, and that just makes them accustomed to having the treat during the week, and when we try to go back to "no treats 'til the weekend", they don't understand why we're suddenly "forbidding" the weekday treats. :-?

Anyway. To get back on topic, 8) , I agree that NoS is very sensible, and good for recommending to the kids. ;)
http://jaymiz.wordpress.com (The 'No S' Life)
"The more you do a thing, the easier it becomes" ~ Anon.

drswife

Post by drswife » Thu May 08, 2008 9:43 pm

UGH

I have two daughters and constantly remind them that the most important thing is to be beautiful on the inside. I know it sounds sappy but I think eventually they will internalize it. It's so hard being a girl in this society.

I am so against school weigh ins--like girls in this society need more reasons to be anxious about their bodies--puhleaze...it makes me crazy.

I think it's great to remind her there is a sensible eating plan and that she'll be fine. I would also remind her that her worth does not having anything to do w/ how much she weighs, what size she is or what she looks like eventhough that is what society is drumming into her head. I'm sure you already do but great to remind her you will love her no matter what.

I feel strongly about this (in case you hadn't noticed) because I started dieting when I was 10 eventhough I was only very slightly overweight. I think that if I would have grown up in a more "normal" enviroment (my parents were on a diet non-stop) I would have eventually slimmed down to a good weight for my size. I was very active and enjoyed healthy foods....

Anyway, great that you're thinking about these things. Maybe you'll have some advice for me when I get there (mine are 3 and 5).

L :)

JustAnnie

Post by JustAnnie » Thu May 08, 2008 9:49 pm

I think it's sad how "weight conscious" some EIGHT YEAR OLD girls are now. It's a society trend that is hard to fight when it is getting reinforced by skinny, bulemic starlets. Sigh.

I think "No S" living is a very healthy life style for kids. It's the way we use to eat back in the olden days when I was growing up. One of the problems today though is that kids are exposed to more "Treats" and "Snacking" then we use to be. Scout groups, sports groups, and various other youth groups all have "snack time". It also seems that there are more "treats" in school with some schools even having a "snack time" mid morning every day. All of these situations would make it hard for a kid to keep strictly to "No S" rules.
Just Annie

You Can't Fail Until You Quit Trying

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Thu May 08, 2008 11:31 pm

I think I'll chime in here too as I have a thin and healthy 25 year old son and a normal weight and healthy 17-year old girl. They have watched me struggle with diets and my weight their whole lives. Even through all that I was sooo very conscious of giving them good body images.

I remember when my daughter was in 4th grade and she was comparing herself to a friend. This friend had legs that were straight as pencils and my daughter's leg muscles (calves) had started to develop. My daughter was afraid her legs were fat and I kept reassuring her that it was not fat, but muscle, and how beautiful her legs were. Sometimes now she does get concerned about her weight, but I think overall she has a positive attitude about herself (I hope!). But, when I say I was conscious about this I really mean it. It was constant. Kids nowadays are subjected to so much media and peer pressure. It is scary and sad.

I have offered them healthy choices as they've grown up, but my one regret is that we did have quite a bit of snacking going on. My son has done well though and I am optimistic that my daughter will too when she is full-grown. I am glad that I've started eating the way I am now while she is still at home to witness it. As they say, "Children learn what they live."
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Fri May 09, 2008 1:41 am

JustAnnie wrote:I think it's sad how "weight conscious" some EIGHT YEAR OLD girls are now. It's a society trend that is hard to fight when it is getting reinforced by skinny, bulemic starlets. Sigh.

I think "No S" living is a very healthy life style for kids. It's the way we use to eat back in the olden days when I was growing up. One of the problems today though is that kids are exposed to more "Treats" and "Snacking" then we use to be. Scout groups, sports groups, and various other youth groups all have "snack time". It also seems that there are more "treats" in school with some schools even having a "snack time" mid morning every day. All of these situations would make it hard for a kid to keep strictly to "No S" rules.
Actually, our elementary school does have a daily morning snack. I'm glad, because my youngest catches the bus at 7 am, so he would never survive until lunchtime without a snack! My kids also have an after school snack. I think additional snacks throughout the day are good choices for growing kids. But the junk fests at every childhood get together....just awful!

To clarify...my kids are learning No S due to my following it. They are not following No S. Thankfully, for all the unhealthy eating habits that I allowed myself, I taught the kids to do much better. They are still very healthy, and are able to listen to their hunger. I do provide basically healthy meals. And they are happy about the weekend splurges. We had strawberry shortcake last weekend (they cut up and prepared the fruit). This weekend, I think we might bake chocolate chip cookies. :D