Vacation Blues In Georgia

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

viggie

Vacation Blues In Georgia

Post by viggie » Fri May 09, 2008 11:51 am

I'm going to Paula Dean's home town. Everything is soaked in butter. That's all 3 meals. I have decided to be in control of myself. Never before have I ever decided to do that. Before the "diets" would try to do it for me. Now I know that if I do decide to eat that piece of pecan pie with homemade ice cream, I don't have to beat myself up. I'm on vacation and although the whole time that I'm there, (8days family lives there and we go once a year), I don't have to eat everything that comes my way. I've decided to have 2S days with the weekend so that should be enough for me. I will have 3 meals aday and I will go walking. Just thought I would put that out there. Maybe by putting in writing it will stick longer :idea:

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Fri May 09, 2008 12:02 pm

Hey, Viggie!

Enjoy your vacation. I just came back last week from a trip to Arizona where I visited my sister and her family. I called 4 days (Tues.-Fri.) S-Days. So, I really had 6 S-Days in a row. What it did for me was take away the obsession and the guilt. I was not eating all the time or eating sweets every day and I never take seconds anyway, so I felt it was a very successful trip. My clothes didn't get tighter, and I stayed off the scales. When I got home I felt so good about the absence of guilt that it was very easy for me to begin no-s-ing right away and I have been successful every day last week and this. You can do it too! Check in when you can and let us know how it's going.
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

viggie

Post by viggie » Fri May 09, 2008 12:06 pm

Sure will. Thanks for the encouragement.

MissyMoo

Post by MissyMoo » Fri May 09, 2008 1:08 pm

Hi Viggie.

I went to D.C. a couple of weeks ago and found this plan to be awesome for a vacation. I didn't treat any days as S, but it was still great b/c I was allowed to eat out at restaurants 3 meals a day with no remorse. That was quite a treat! Normally I would have skipped a meal or two rather than eat rich restaurant fare, and it would have s-cked!

In a couple of weeks we're going to Niagara with the kids, and again it will be so easy to stick with my "diet" on the trip.

So, have a great time and don't obsess!!!!

Missy :)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri May 09, 2008 1:10 pm

Just Jill wrote:Hey, Viggie!

Enjoy your vacation. I just came back last week from a trip to Arizona where I visited my sister and her family. I called 4 days (Tues.-Fri.) S-Days. So, I really had 6 S-Days in a row. What it did for me was take away the obsession and the guilt. I was not eating all the time or eating sweets every day and I never take seconds anyway, so I felt it was a very successful trip. My clothes didn't get tighter, and I stayed off the scales. When I got home I felt so good about the absence of guilt that it was very easy for me to begin no-s-ing right away and I have been successful every day last week and this. You can do it too! Check in when you can and let us know how it's going.
I think that's a wonderful approach: just call them S days, realize it's not license to binge and enjoy yourself without guilt. There are places I'd like to visit where food would be a great part of the enjoyment of the trip as just about anything else. I would relax, enjoy it and and banish the guilt.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 09, 2008 1:38 pm

Most of my "vacation" is used up on childcare (or writing!), so N-days.

When we actually do get away somewhere nice for a long weekend or once a year for a full week, I count most days as S-days. My basic rule is, if there's some special delicacy worth trying or if I really would enjoy essing out for any reason, vacation days are legitimately S. If not, why not add some more green to my habitcal? A full week of S is far more than I actually want, at this point. 2 days out of 5 or 3 out of 5 (so 4 or 5 out of 7) is about as much reward as I can handle in a week. :-)

That being said, you have full license to take the whole time as S. The only question should be what you'll most enjoy doing. If you're going to feel resentful not essing, then S. If you're going to feel guilty essing, then don't beyond a certain fraction of the days. But do make sure to give yourself at least SOME vacation S.

Reinard

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat May 10, 2008 5:57 am

If not, why not add some more green to my habitcal?

great perspective!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey