How I know this diet works.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jayhawk28

How I know this diet works.

Post by Jayhawk28 » Sun May 11, 2008 5:04 pm

So I was in Barnes & Noble yesterday. I was looking at the diet and exercise books and see the No S Diet. It looked so unassuming and simple. I was curious. I read the first chapter in the store. I then bought it, took it home and read the whole book. I then had a light bulb go off in my head.

I've actually unknowingly done this diet three times in my life with success each time. Let me explain.

During the summers in college I was a camp counselor at various residential summer camps around the US. Being a camp counselor is a 24 hour a day job. You live in a cabin with your kids. You do all the basics together - eat, live and play. During the week you are allowed one day off (24 hour period). Otherwise, you can't leave the camp.

Meal times are set. Everyday you had breakfast around 7:30. Lunch was around 12:00. Dinner was around 6:00. The campers usually got an afternoon snack if they wished, but food was not readily available.

I remember my first camp counselor gig in Minnesota. At 5'10 I was about 200 pounds when I arrived. I remember being hungry the first week, but then I adapted to the meal times. I simply wasn't hungry until meal time. I ate the one plate of food that was provided and that was it.

On my day off I ate whatever, but I wasn't hungry except for meal times so I naturally didn't go nuts.

I would drink a few beers on days off as well. I didn't have a set exercise plan. I did move more naturally from things like playing soccer and hiking. But there was no set plan. I ate whatever was provided and did nothing else.

I lost over 20 lbs that first summer. I lost weight each summer with a similar plan. I remember thinking that I didn't understand how I was losing weight. I was eating whatever they provided - egg rolls, pizza, hamburgers.

All things being equal - your body adapts to less food - no seconds or snacks. You get full much quicker. I remember being uncomfortable on days off when I would eat too much.

You stop thinking about food except at meal time. You enjoyed it and that was it. It really felt like my stomach shrank.

As I was reading this book - I compared it to my personal experiences. I was successful because I didn't have to think about it. I was just enjoying my life and not dwelling on food. It was great.

I've struggled with my weight as an adult. I'm 5"10 and 230 pounds. I start some new diet every monday. For the past several years, I've tried South Beach multiple times. I would lose weight and gain it right back. I was so focused on food all the time that I was miserable.

I've also tried the Body for Life plan. It's great, but you are always eating - 6 small meals a day. 3 protein shakes.

It was just too hard to stick with. I love the simplicity of this diet. No one has to know you are doing it. I'm going to start on Monday - 5/12. I'm going to follow the rules and add in daily exercise. The exercise will be on my terms though. I'm not going to follow a set plan of weight lifting and interval training. I'm just going to do some jogging and ride my mountain bike.

I can't wait to get started. I'll keep you all updated.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun May 11, 2008 5:15 pm

No No No!

You start TODAY. It's just that today is an S day, that's all.

Nice way to start a diet, huh?

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Sun May 11, 2008 6:04 pm

I agree...start now!
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun May 11, 2008 6:05 pm

You want to know how I know this works? My ex-husband has eaten this way for as long as I've known him. I've neverseen him at his "ideal" weight -- he's always been somewhat under it.

Well, I take that back. I've seen him at his right weight once -- when he was actually eating 3 meals a day (he's not a breakfast eater).

He's a good eater and really enjoys food, but rarely snacks, eats sweets or takes seconds. He eats no low-fat, no fat or low-carb foods. He doesn't exercise, except that which occurs during the course of daily life. He used to bike some, but it was more for enjoyment than "exercise."
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Sun May 11, 2008 6:27 pm

Thank you, Jayhawk. What an encouraging post! It makes sense that No S will work, and I'm already seeing it work for me, but it is great to hear another perspective and how it has worked for you in the past.

Welcome back to camp! Welcome to No S!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun May 11, 2008 8:39 pm

Jayhawk,

WELCOME!

I did almost the exact thing as you ... browsing diet books at barnes and nobles, stumbled across No S, found it intriguing, bought it, came home read the book that night ... it was a Monday and got with it!

I also have had several experiences in the past where "just eating 3 meals a day" caused me to lose weight ... so like you, I knew this was the real deal!

Glad you are here!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

JustAnnie

Post by JustAnnie » Sun May 11, 2008 9:07 pm

Jayhawk - Welcome!!

I love it. You know I can see now why I didn't have trouble keeping my weight down while I was in a college dorm. We couldn't eat in our rooms or keep food there. We only ate when we were in the dorm cafeteria.....three square meals a day, but on the weekends we would go a bit crazy and eat away from campus more. I never knew I was "No-Sing" then.....but I guess I was. Thank you for your enlightening post.
Just Annie

You Can't Fail Until You Quit Trying