Food and Volume

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoelFigart

Food and Volume

Post by NoelFigart » Mon May 12, 2008 5:17 pm

It's been awhile since I made an entree salad as my meal. I suppose I wanted to get away from the "diet" mentality and was reveling in the sheer anti-diet hedonism of a turkey and cheese sandwich.

But there were a lot of veggies in my fridge that needed eating up, and I was not going to make soup any time soon, so I made myself a salad topped with a couple of slices turkey and cheese.

I got to thinking. A plate full of veggies is a large volume of food, certainly. I was thinking, "Wow, I'm having a HUGE lunch!"

For people who are worried about the single plate being fuzzy portion control, you could certainly pile on the veggies for a meal. You'd get plenty of food and goodness knows you'd feel full after the meal (BURP!)

JustAnnie

Post by JustAnnie » Mon May 12, 2008 5:35 pm

Yes, I love salads when I'm feeling the need to crunch and munch a lot of food. They are also a good thing to order in the restaurant if you with a bunch of people who plan on eating HUGE meals followed by desserts. You can make a salad last a long time and not feel a bit deprived.
Just Annie

You Can't Fail Until You Quit Trying

AnnaBanana

Post by AnnaBanana » Mon May 12, 2008 5:57 pm

Noel... I was eating a huge spinach salad while I was reading your post. It was great, too!
Laura Ann
SW: 282
CW: 173
GW: 150-185

Then the time came when the pain of staying a tight bud became greater than the risk it took to bloom.

Airen08

Post by Airen08 » Mon May 12, 2008 6:08 pm

I love salads as well, but hate the diet mentality I get when eating them. However, I like to get salads from Wendy's, McDonalds, and DQ (the grilled chicken salad is wonderful!) and it always feels like a full meal that way.
SW: 290
CW: 255
GW: 150
Started No-S on 3/1/08 at 290

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon May 12, 2008 6:10 pm

Yeah, the diet mentality around salads is something. I almost fried up a slice of bacon to put on it so that it could declare, "This is not a diet salad, dammit" but I needed to get back to work and that would have taken too long.

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Tue May 13, 2008 2:58 am

I had a small salad at a restaurant Saturday night. As I poured a small amount of salad dressing on it, just to my taste, I remembered a diet tip I had heard once. When you have a salad somewhere like McDonalds, where you get a packet of dressing, they advised poking your fork into the packet, so you would just get the smallest amount of dressing, then you poke the salad, and eat that bite. In this way, you eat your salad with very little dressing.

I never actually tried doing it, because it sounded silly to me! But it was wonderful to simply enjoy a salad with the amount of dressing that tasted good!

Yay for salads as yummy food, not mindless crunching!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue May 13, 2008 5:12 am

I like to say I have "good food karma" I absolutely adore veggies! When I was little they had to give me soup before they went out to eat pizza ... I hated it :D

Although I confess these days I love a good vegan pizza,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey