Milk... it does a body good?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

AnnaBanana

Milk... it does a body good?

Post by AnnaBanana » Mon May 12, 2008 5:58 pm

Question for everyone...

How many are drinkin milk and what amount? Also are you drink whole?

I started a few days finally drinking whole milk (what Reinhard suggests I think) and drink about a 1/2 glass with each meal and it is making a HUGE difference in how satisfied I am. Do you think this is okay?
Laura Ann
SW: 282
CW: 173
GW: 150-185

Then the time came when the pain of staying a tight bud became greater than the risk it took to bloom.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon May 12, 2008 6:02 pm

Of course milk with a meal is okay! My goodness.

I don't drink milk much. I do eat a lot of yogurt and cottage cheese though.

Airen08

Post by Airen08 » Mon May 12, 2008 6:03 pm

Hmm..that's interesting that it might fill you up longer. I drink skim milk on my cereal every morning...and I stay full from 6:30 am to 12:30 pm when I am able to eat lunch. I'm not sure I could stomach whole milk after being a skim milk drinker since childhood.
SW: 290
CW: 255
GW: 150
Started No-S on 3/1/08 at 290

CatholicCajun

Post by CatholicCajun » Mon May 12, 2008 6:12 pm

I drink milk-2%, not only with meals, but if hunger gets real bad, I drink a 9 oz. glass in between meals. God Bless.
Je'sus, j'Ai Confiance dans Vous

resting52

Post by resting52 » Mon May 12, 2008 6:54 pm

I've started drinking an occasional glass of skim and really enjoying it! Before NoS I wouldn't want to "waste" the calories or the points. Now that just seems silly.

Resting

JustAnnie

Post by JustAnnie » Mon May 12, 2008 6:58 pm

I seldom sit and drink a glass of milk but I do incorporate it into many of the foods I eat, ie: oatmeal, pudding, casseroles, even some soup. It's a fact of life that women need calcium, especially those contemplating having a family or older women. I always use skim milk though. I don't need the extra milk fat.
Just Annie

You Can't Fail Until You Quit Trying

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Mon May 12, 2008 8:08 pm

Dairy:
I do not drink milk, although if called for, I use it in cooking.
I use unsweetened almond milk with my dry cereal,
and 2 Tb evaporated milk with my oatmeal.
I eat 1/2 cup of Total 0% Fage Greek Yogurt every day.
I eat small amounts of cheese, 1/2 oz to 1 oz at a time:
  • whole cheese;,
    75% reduced fat Cabot Ceddar cheese;
    wedge of light laughing cow soft cheese
Occasionally, I have a cup of cocoa made with a pkg of Nestle's no-sugar-added, non-fat milk cocoa which, by the way, I find delicious.
I frequently use 1/2 to 1 scoop of Designer Protein powder (whey) in a smoothie or in my cooking.
I occasionally have pressurized whipping cream...Reddi-Whip Fat Free if I can find it.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

AnnaBanana

Post by AnnaBanana » Mon May 12, 2008 8:18 pm

Did you guys read where Reinhard suggests whole milk? I can't remember if I read it on here or in his book. I can tell you I feel a HUGE difference in satisfaction. I feel full for hours.
Laura Ann
SW: 282
CW: 173
GW: 150-185

Then the time came when the pain of staying a tight bud became greater than the risk it took to bloom.

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Mon May 12, 2008 8:52 pm

I drink milk and use it for cooking too, although I drink lactose free milk.
I went for a while with whole milk, but, honestly I don't notice that much difference from when I use 2%, so I buy whichever one I find first; our local favorite store, Trader Joe's doesn't carry whole, if we go there first, I just go ahead and buy 2%.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon May 12, 2008 9:52 pm

I never drink milk and never have -- of any kind. Cannot stand the taste of milk. I do occasionally use it in a cafe au lait or hot chocolate and I do use it in cooking or on cereal (but all the milk remains in the bottom of the bowl).
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Mon May 12, 2008 9:54 pm

LauraAnn wrote:Did you guys read where Reinhard suggests whole milk? I can't remember if I read it on here or in his book. I can tell you I feel a HUGE difference in satisfaction. I feel full for hours.
Yes, he said that in his book.
I definitely see his point in that whole milk tastes better and is more satisfying.
If one is going to drink cow's milk, the calorie breakdown for one 8 oz glass is approx:
  • whole milk: 146
    2% milk: 130
    1% milk: 110
    skim milk: 100
so the maximum difference for one glass is about 50 calories.

Whether one chooses to count calories, or not, is beside the point.
Excess calories is excess food
And eliminating excess food is the basis of the no S plan.

Remember, Reinhard's recommendation came from his own personal plan.
which is based on his OWN body.
3 glasses of whole milk a day totals about 450 calories.
That might be fine for an average height male weighing about 170 lbs,
who has a 2300 to 2500 calorie burn every day,
but for a small female, like me, who's total calorie burn is about 1400,
that would be about one-third of my entire day's calories.

An alternative for us smaller women is 8th Continent light soy milk - 8 oz glass 60 calories,
or Almond Breeze unsweetened milk - 8 oz glass 40 calories.

CatholicCajun

Post by CatholicCajun » Mon May 12, 2008 10:00 pm

LauraAnn wrote:Did you guys read where Reinhard suggests whole milk? I can't remember if I read it on here or in his book. I can tell you I feel a HUGE difference in satisfaction. I feel full for hours.
Hello LauraAnn. The next time I buy milk to keep at work I will buy whole milk, IF I can convince hubby, may even buy it for the house. God Bless.
Je'sus, j'Ai Confiance dans Vous

swaits

Post by swaits » Mon May 12, 2008 10:22 pm

We humans suck at digesting cows milk. I rarely drink it. When I do, it's only raw milk. Delicious.

3aday

Post by 3aday » Mon May 12, 2008 10:57 pm

I put half and half in my coffee.
When I eat cereal, I use whole milk.
I also use whole milk to cook with.
I use full fat cheeses/yogurts too.
But, after I started No S'ing....my portions of everything went down, including dairy.

I used to do fat free everything but switched to full fat maybe one or two years ago....

I used to put skim in my coffee and now I can't go back after switching to half and half. But, when I go home two or three times a year, my mom and dad both make the most perfect cafe con leche with skim milk and it's always delicious. I guess mom's have that special touch. She makes delicious oatmeal too with skim milk. I've tried to recreate both myself with the skim milk and have always been unsuccessful.

I think it all boils to personal taste preference.

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Tue May 13, 2008 2:47 am

We drink 2% at my house. I am not a big milk drinker, but I do have milk on my cereal several times each week. Then I drink the milk. However, my hubby dislikes 2%, but will drink whole milk. So whenever we had a child under two in the house, he was happy, because we kept 2% and whole milk in the fridge! (Children under two should drink whole milk because they need the extra fat in their diets as their nervous systems mature.)

He does most of our grocery shopping. Maybe I should let him know that Reinhard suggests whole milk! LOL! And my younger children (age 8 and 12) drink a lot of milk. They are also growing quickly, and it is difficult to "fill them up". Seems that they are always hungry. I wonder if a change to whole milk would help?

It was funny to log on and read this discussion. I happened to eat a very small dinner due to lack of time. I was really hungry when I got home, so I poured myself a glass of milk!
:lol:

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue May 13, 2008 5:14 am

Me and milk ... never have, never did, never will :D

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Tue May 13, 2008 12:44 pm

I've always hated cow's milk, and used to just have the bare minimum to make cereal and tea palatable, it wasn't so much the taste I didn't like, something about the texture. I stopped drinking it completely more than 10 years ago when I found out I have lactose intolerance.

I drink soy milk now, which I really like (to my surprise the first time I tried it!) usually Alpro organic unsweetened, if I remember rightly it seems to have a fat & protein content similar to whole milk (or perhaps slightly less). I have about a cupful on my cereal in the morning, and in my coffee 1-2 times per day (and usually a generous amount, at least a quarter of the cup). I sometimes make almond milk too which I like on cereal, I think that is probably more fattening than cow's milk (the way I make it at least which is quite rich) but I try not to worry about that too much as the fat from nuts is usually kind of fat that's good for you anyway :)

Alpro soya milk is my favourite brand because to me it tastes richer than most other brands, if I buy a lighter tasting brand, I just end up using more of it :) so I can understand Reinhard's suggestion to use whole milk, as I expect it is more filling/satisfying.

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Wed May 14, 2008 10:35 am

I drink semi-skimmed whenever I feel like it, pour it on cereal and use it in cooking. I also put it in my tea, of which I drink about ten cups a day.

If I'm going to drink whole milk, it's raw. I find hardly any point in homogenised whole milk because, to me, it tastes the same as semi, which I use largely out of habit. I find skimmed milk tastes like water. Fresh milk from a farm, however, is better than ice cream.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

alien-bear

Post by alien-bear » Wed May 14, 2008 12:17 pm

I became a milk drinker while doing the weight watcher's plan. They suggest 2 servings of dairy a day and one was usually milk. Now, I tend to do a chai or coffee latte each afternoon and use about a cup of 1% milk.

Milk is liquid food, carbs protein and fat, I just try to keep that in mind when I use it.

BrightAngel

whole milk

Post by BrightAngel » Wed May 14, 2008 1:18 pm

Regarding changing Habits, I have to share this :lol:
I only use cow's milk for cooking, and my husband uses it occasionally with a bowl of cereal.
I buy Lactaide milk because I am lactose intolerant,
and because it lasts so long in the refrigerator.
For years my habit has been to buy 2% because of the calorie reduction, and
because my husband complains about 1% or non-fat milk.
Yesterday when I bought milk, I was thinking about the post I made above,
and after checking the labels again and confirming that 2% was only 20 calories per 8 oz glass less
(Lactaide 2%: 140 calories; Lactaide whole milk: 160 calories),
I bought the whole milk.
:P
My husband will be pleased.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed May 14, 2008 1:46 pm

These are the reasons why I think whole milk is a good choice:

1. It tastes good. Skim can't hold a candle to it.

2. It's filling, even in small amounts. Fat and protein and sugar (lactose) provide more stopping power than similarly caloric fruit juice. Even more so than fruit juice, it tastes very caloric and so you're unlikely to go overboard.

3. It's not sweet, so there are no nagging doubts on that score, as there might be with fruit juice.

4. As a society, we (in the U.S. at least) used to drink much more of it than we do now -- and we were skinny. Drinking whole milk is clearly not a behavior that is associated with being overweight -- on the contrary.

5. It's nutritious. Especially for kids.

6. When you drink skim milk or reduce fat, you might think you're pulling a fast one on your appetite, but it's not that dumb. It feels cheated. Whole milk makes it feel well taken care of, and less likely to revolt.

7. It has a soporific effect. So ideal for the "nighttime cravings" that plague so many people.

8. It has huge nostalgia value. Talk about comfort food.

Now I don't personally drink ENORMOUS quantities of milk. My between meal drinks tend to be water, seltzer, or black coffee. Most of the milk I drink is poured over cereal, during a meal. But a little bit of milk goes a long way. When I do reach for a glass out of hunger, between meals, it always seems to get the job done.

I don't buy the argument about it being unnatural for human beings to drink cow's milk. Some people obviously can't because they are lactose intolerant, but most people whose ancestors raised cows have genes specifically for digesting lactose into adulthood -- it provides an obvious, tremendous evolutionary advantage to be able to do this. Just because no other animals do this -- well, there are lots of things people can do that no other species can.

http://www.nature.com/ng/journal/v35/n4 ... g1263.html

Reinhard

Tallant

Post by Tallant » Thu May 15, 2008 4:21 pm

You know I always love it when Reinhard throws in his 2 cents--or $1... One of the reasons I've surrendered to NoS is because of his common sense and humor, and--that 'take no prisoners' attitude, too. You don't have to do anything he suggests--but so much of it just makes sense. I love milk and for thirty or forty years stopped drinking it as part of my meals. For the last month I've occasionally added it back and I am soooo satisfied. I'm old enough to remember 'the good old days' when people were thin naturally -- and my whole family drank milk. My brother-in-law owns a dairy and he's still thin. (Hard-work might have something to do with it too)

Anyway, my point---I do have one---Find out what's right for you and ignore the rest--and--don't let all the 'experts' keep you from experimenting. It's my body and mind and spirit that I have to keep happy. Every thing in moderation. Balance. Bien dans ma peau.
What was I waiting for?