a powerful habit

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

phano

a powerful habit

Post by phano » Tue May 13, 2008 8:34 am

Tonight my husband made a yummy dinner of kielbasa stew and macaroni and cheese. I was cleaning up after dinner (after a lovely, slowly savored plate), and there was a small amount of sauerkraut stew left at the bottom of the pot. I thought, "Well, it's so little. I'll just eat it instead of putting it in the fridge." But, as I scooped up the first bite, I thought, "But I don't WANT it." So I packed it into a tupperware in the fridge to be enjoyed at another meal.

I've been no-Sing for five months now, and when I started I never thought that I would be the sort of person who could turn down food because I honestly didn't want any. But I've become that person.

I've also had a lot of very, very late nights, since it's finals time for me. Usually, that would mean a lot of snacking on sweets or cheese...and gaining about 5 pounds. The other night, I didn't go to bed until 5 am, but the whole time I was up and working, I only drank water. I thought about a snack, but then thought, "I don't really want it" and went back to work.

Five months ago, I didn't believe that was possible, either.

Working this habit (with a fair number of failing days) has made such big changes in how I look at food and eating. I can hardly believe it's me!

Jaxhil

Post by Jaxhil » Tue May 13, 2008 10:27 am

Good for you, Phano!! Don't you love when that happens?!

It's nice to have a built-in resistance, isn't it? It's good for your body, and your mind-it makes you feel so good to be able to resist the thing that once held you in its grip (so to speak :P )

And the great thing is, it gets even easier over time.
Hilary
_______

"Habit, if not resisted, soon becomes necessity."-St Augustine

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."-Thomas Jefferson

DebbiAnn

Post by DebbiAnn » Tue May 13, 2008 2:38 pm

Phano

If you are in California, you know that we are headed for our first 100 day with a string of them in a row. I am in northern CA and when the tempeture goes up all I want is something cold, like ice cream. I was use to going out for it in the middle of the afternoon. Now I have to wait for an S day. this is going to one of my biggest challanges since i started.

Debbi

CatholicCajun

Re: a powerful habit

Post by CatholicCajun » Tue May 13, 2008 2:41 pm

phano wrote:Tonight my husband made a yummy dinner of kielbasa stew and macaroni and cheese. I was cleaning up after dinner (after a lovely, slowly savored plate), and there was a small amount of sauerkraut stew left at the bottom of the pot. I thought, "Well, it's so little. I'll just eat it instead of putting it in the fridge." But, as I scooped up the first bite, I thought, "But I don't WANT it." So I packed it into a tupperware in the fridge to be enjoyed at another meal.

I've been no-Sing for five months now, and when I started I never thought that I would be the sort of person who could turn down food because I honestly didn't want any. But I've become that person.

I've also had a lot of very, very late nights, since it's finals time for me. Usually, that would mean a lot of snacking on sweets or cheese...and gaining about 5 pounds. The other night, I didn't go to bed until 5 am, but the whole time I was up and working, I only drank water. I thought about a snack, but then thought, "I don't really want it" and went back to work.

Five months ago, I didn't believe that was possible, either.

Working this habit (with a fair number of failing days) has made such big changes in how I look at food and eating. I can hardly believe it's me!
Good for you!!!!!
Je'sus, j'Ai Confiance dans Vous

katie1980

Post by katie1980 » Wed May 14, 2008 4:01 am

That's fab, I'm so glad it's working for you! :)

alien-bear

Post by alien-bear » Wed May 14, 2008 12:45 pm

I know that I truly believed I would pass out and die from hunger if I didn't eat every 4 hours. I thought that I had low blood sugar and wouldn't be able to handle it. I was wrong.
By the third day I had adjusted to larger portions at meal times and my body had adjusted to having hunger pangs occasionally.

I really could not clearly see this outcome when I started.
I did not see passing up the chip basket at my favorite Mexican rest.
I did not see book club without dessert.
I did not see board meetings without the chocolate basket, liberally indulged in.

And Yet, here I am, not feeling particularly bereft of anything.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed May 14, 2008 1:29 pm

I used to think I was hypoglycemic as well. If I had a really sugary breakfast and a lot of coffee, I WOULD get sick and dizzy. My usual 200 calorie breakfast would leave me feelng bad by about ten or eleven.

Optimized oatmeal at around 7 carries me to 1 in the afternoon just fine.

I wasn't eating enough at meals, but my oh MY was I eating too much snack-wise.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed May 14, 2008 1:51 pm

It's funny you should mention that; eating during clean up was one of the toughest habits for me to break.

But now that I've got it down, I have no problem with it anymore.

It's very empowering to be able to look at a scrap of leftover sauerkraut and say "you don't own me anymore, pal" (and a little disturbing to remember that it once did). No S makes you realize what a slave you once were to the shabbiest, least impressive masters.

Reinhard

CatholicCajun

Post by CatholicCajun » Wed May 14, 2008 6:14 pm

reinhard wrote:It's funny you should mention that; eating during clean up was one of the toughest habits for me to break.

But now that I've got it down, I have no problem with it anymore.

It's very empowering to be able to look at a scrap of leftover sauerkraut and say "you don't own me anymore, pal" (and a little disturbing to remember that it once did). No S makes you realize what a slave you once were to the shabbiest, least impressive masters.

Reinhard
Amen to that!!!
Je'sus, j'Ai Confiance dans Vous