I'm Thrilled!!!!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Writer110

I'm Thrilled!!!!

Post by Writer110 » Wed May 14, 2008 1:27 am

Hi everyone!

I have been lurking around, getting to know everyone through your posts. What a wonderful and supportive group of people. (Must be because we're not all cranky from dieting! :lol: )

Anyway, I posted about this AD-NAUSUEM on my daily check-in but this is such a big accomplishment for me, I feel like shouting it from the rooftops, so I just had to share! I have struggled FOREVER with sitting down and paying attention when I eat. I have tried to do it many, many times but just ended up feeling lonely and blue and bingeing. I could sit down, yes, but only at the computer or while watching TV.

I did a lot of thinking about this yesterday (today is my Day 1) and at first I attributed it to childhood abandonment, being single, my sad life, blah blah blah etc... :lol: but when I really thought about it I realized it was because every time I tried to sit down to eat it was when I was dieting (ie eating foods I didn't like or want). The last time I tried it I was on WW and I felt like the saddest person on Earth sitting there eating my 3 point dinner. It was over quickly, I didn't enjoy it and I'm sure I went searching for more.

So I decided to go to the store and get things I really, really liked to eat (no sweets though :) ) . And tonight....I sat down at the table, with no distractions, and ate my dinner! Woot! (Granted, it was a rather large and odd meal but it was what I wanted- and it fit on one plate. Barely :D ) But I did it. Even my roommate commented on it. We've lived together for a year and she's never seen me eat a meal at the table.

I know this seems like such a small thing, but for me, this is HUGE!!!! I WILL NEVER DIET AGAIN!!! This was such a great lesson. And truth be told, I didn't end up loving everthing on my plate and I realized that it was too big. But isn't that what it's all about? Finding out what I like (and how much) and eating it, rather than being TOLD what to eat? Love it.

I'm on cloud 9! Thank you to Reinhard & everyone on these boards! Tomorrow night I plan to do the same!

:D Moxie

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed May 14, 2008 1:32 am

There's a lot to be said for sitting down to a formal meal.

Good for you!

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Wed May 14, 2008 1:32 am

That is just wonderful, Moxie! W00t w00t!

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Wed May 14, 2008 1:49 am

Great, Moxie, I'm glad you finally enjoyed your meal!.
Here's to many happy meals (er, it sounds like I'm promoting McDonalds!). :lol:

Writer110

Post by Writer110 » Wed May 14, 2008 2:19 am

Thank you NoelF, CCLady & Mavilu! I so appreciate your thoughts! (I was worried people might think I'm a little loony for being so excited) :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed May 14, 2008 2:30 am

That sounds like a real milestone. Congrats! (And not "loony" one bit!)

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed May 14, 2008 3:57 am

But isn't that what it's all about? Finding out what I like (and how much) and eating it, rather than being TOLD what to eat? Love it.
ABSOLUTELY :D

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Buffalo Gal

Post by Buffalo Gal » Wed May 14, 2008 6:16 pm

Good for you Moxie!

These small realizations are the best and when added up they make the biggest of differences.

Buffalo Gal
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

AnnaBanana

Post by AnnaBanana » Wed May 14, 2008 8:18 pm

Welcome to the world of moderation and happiness. It's a great feeling isn't it? I especially like the part about sitting down and eating what you wanted instead of what they told you to eat. It's a wonderful feeling!
Laura Ann
SW: 282
CW: 173
GW: 150-185

Then the time came when the pain of staying a tight bud became greater than the risk it took to bloom.

Writer110

Post by Writer110 » Wed May 14, 2008 11:12 pm

Thank you everyone! This is such a great group. :mrgreen:

Sheiler

Post by Sheiler » Thu May 15, 2008 12:12 am

YOU GO GIRL! :lol: Enjoy every mouthful, and then go out this weekend and buy the best sweet you can think of. You've made a giant step. This is the most sensible plan we'll ever find and we can really make it work for us. Welcome.

JustAnnie

Post by JustAnnie » Thu May 15, 2008 12:37 am

We understand you here. You are not alone. I've had a love/hate relationship with food for most of my adult life and I always felt like a weirdo who had no control of what I put in my mouth. Well, now I know two things. I'm not alone and I CAN be in control if I choose. It's great just to feel "normal".
Just Annie

You Can't Fail Until You Quit Trying