Blood Sugar issues anyone?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

LiterBiter10

Blood Sugar issues anyone?

Post by LiterBiter10 » Wed May 14, 2008 10:40 pm

This is my day 3 and I'm doing pretty well. I have trouble with my blood sugar normally, so I've always eaten a snack between breakfast (4:30 am and lunch 11:15). That's a long time to go without any food. I'm a teacher, I don't have a lot of freedom in my schedule.

Anyone else have these issues? I've been eating 1 piece of string cheese around 9:30. I know that's a snack, but I don't want my blood sugar to drop so low that I "crash". People with this issue will know what I mean.

I'd like to hear your opinions.

Di

AnnaBanana

Post by AnnaBanana » Wed May 14, 2008 10:55 pm

I used to have the same thing happen to me and what I feared most about doing No S was that I would be crashing all the time. But it's had the opposite effect. The key is eating larger meals and making them balanced. If I do that, I do fine. But I can't eat just cereal. It won't hold me. So I have scrambled eggs, whole wheat toast, milk and fruit and I'm good to go.

Through reading up on things I have found that every time you eat it released insulin and high insulin levels are not good, they do a lot of damage, including making you feel like you're hungry all the time. So while I thought I was hypoglycemic all these years and HAD to eat every 3 hours, was really just high insulin levels brought on by the diet industry that says eat every 3 hours. At least for me, it didn't work.

But again, the key for me doing 3 meals and no snacks, is BALANCED meals, a carb, a protein, veggies, fat, fruit and dairy. If I do that, I'm good to go and can go hours feeling great.
Laura Ann
SW: 282
CW: 173
GW: 150-185

Then the time came when the pain of staying a tight bud became greater than the risk it took to bloom.

Informatix

Post by Informatix » Wed May 14, 2008 11:02 pm

Please consult your physician regarding your blood sugar concerns! Now that my disclaimer is out of the way, definitely include a good amount of protein in your breakfast, especially since you're going so long without eating. Good luck and happy No-S'ing! :)

JustAnnie

Post by JustAnnie » Thu May 15, 2008 12:50 am

I'm a Type 2 Diabetic and have big blood sugar issues. I was scared to death that my blood sugar would go too low between meals but I agree with LauraAnn. Eat good, balanced meals and you should be fine. And, btw, I DO eat oatmeal some mornings. Normally, this wouldn't work for me because of the carb overload but I cook old fashion oats and mix in 90% soy protein powder, a few blueberries, some Splenda and a few walnuts pieces and it holds me for hours and hours.

BTW: If you MUST have something between meals you might want to try something like tomato juice.
Just Annie

You Can't Fail Until You Quit Trying

apple

Post by apple » Thu May 15, 2008 6:47 am

I have low blood sugar.

The only problem that I have is in the afternoon, because there is a long time between lunch and dinner. So I have an apple or bread and cheese. Otherwise I'll crash and reach for the cookies or anything in sight. Happened yesterday because I forgot the afternoon meal.

kelela92

Re: Blood Sugar issues anyone?

Post by kelela92 » Thu May 15, 2008 5:21 pm

Although I just started, I was concerned about this too. Especially since yesterday I was very lethargic around 4ish. I pushed through it and by the time I had dinner at 6:30pm I was starving. I ate dinner, then started binging because I was still hungry.

I think I'll try what everyone has suggested about eating a more well-balanced meal, however, I'd also consider how often you eat, and how you feel between.

For now, I'll be eating snacks because it'll curb my binge eating during my "meals". Maybe later I can ease out one snack at a time. This is typically my schedule.

B: 6:45am
L: 12:15pm
D: 7pm

To me, that's too long to go without something. So I typically have my snacks at 9ish and 3:30ish. I just try to make them healthy and protein filled.

Good luck. I'd love to see what other people are doing when starting out.

LiterBiter10

Thanks everyone.

Post by LiterBiter10 » Thu May 15, 2008 11:52 pm

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I never thought of tomato juice. That would really help.

I appreciate all of your help.

tracey

Post by tracey » Fri May 16, 2008 12:06 am

I used to crash with low blood sugar but that has stopped since I started on NoS.

I am eating decent meals but nothing unusual for me. I just found that when I stopped snacking and eating sweets that I stopped crashing.

Sometimes between lunch and dinner, around 4pm, I'll get to feeling a bit ill and I'll just have a glass of milk and it's gone and I'm good till dinner.

Rheba

Post by Rheba » Fri May 16, 2008 11:55 am

I used to get the shakes something awful...especially in the mornings between breakfast and lunch. I find that since I am No S ing that I don't have that happen anymore. I am eating more protein with my meals and that does seem to do the trick for me. Can't do the cereal bit at all. I realized early on that grabbing the sweets and carbs between the meals just didn't help me at all...but of course I continued to grab what ever was handy just to get rid of the shakes. Then I read the No S book and started on the plan and have found I no longer have the problem! So for me, the no sweets or snacks has been the answer to my "sugar shakes". :)

all as one
Location: wishing I was on the beach with my husband, Florida

wow, was in the same boat!

Post by all as one » Sat May 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Hey LiterBiter10 welcome! I'm new too and my blood sugar used to spaz out before meals like if I waited too long that's because of my habit-snacking :evil: mostly sugar or carbs. I would also get really mean along with the wipe out feeling and shaking too. My sugar fasting is usually under 70, so you might want to get some real numbers from your doctor. I also found that spacing my meals out helps too, I am sure it's harder for you with your early hours also. I start off drinking a little water in the morning, then coffee, then a few hours after waking I have a piece of w/w toast (look in the ingredients for corn syrup and stay away from anything with it you'll feel so much better) mahatma peanut butter w/ wheat germ and agave syrup on top, a banana, sometimes if I'm really hungry a little cereal 1/2 cup w/ milk. Lunch time I am starving (which sounds sick) but it makes lunch tast that much better. It's usually fiber, (no corn syrup) white meat, veggies and sometimes fruit. I aim for 1-2 pm and dinner almost same as lunch with maybe brown rice. Whole wheat products and peanut butter and brown rice really help with the hunger and sugar symtoms. Don't give up! I'm new at this too! Take care
all I can be is me, nothing more, nothing less.