Does this work for diabetics

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

suzie832

Does this work for diabetics

Post by suzie832 » Thu May 15, 2008 9:20 am

I have read about the No S Diet, are any of you diabetics, and if so, how is it working for you....I really want to give this diet a try as I have a lot of weight to loose
ASAP....Always Say A Prayer

AnnaBanana

Post by AnnaBanana » Fri May 16, 2008 3:39 am

Hi suzie... I'm not a diabetic, but wanted to bump this back up to the top so maybe someone would see it.
Laura Ann
SW: 282
CW: 173
GW: 150-185

Then the time came when the pain of staying a tight bud became greater than the risk it took to bloom.

Informatix

Post by Informatix » Fri May 16, 2008 5:12 am

Consult your physician to see what diet plan is best for you. Diabetes, as you undoubtedly know, is a very complex and dynamic condition that requires lots of monitoring and tweaking. Your physician will be able to help you get on the right track. Please don't accept medical advice from strangers on a message board.

Here's to your health! :P

CatholicCajun

Re: Does this work for diabetics

Post by CatholicCajun » Fri May 16, 2008 12:46 pm

suzie832 wrote:I have read about the No S Diet, are any of you diabetics, and if so, how is it working for you....I really want to give this diet a try as I have a lot of weight to loose
Good Morning Suzie. I wish I had some information for you, as by the grace of God I am not diabetic, but, if I don't do something with this excess weight I may become diabetic. I noticed your signature. I have a couple more for you. PUSH= Pray Until Somthing Happens
FROG= Fully Reliant on God.

Just thought I would share these with you.

God Bless and let us know how this plan works for you.
Je'sus, j'Ai Confiance dans Vous

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Fri May 16, 2008 1:09 pm

One of the oldies, Kevin, is a diabetic (Type I, if I recall). He started out doing 4 meals a day to make sure his sugar and insulin issues were under control, but I think eventually switched to three meals, vanilla NoS.

Here is a link to his posts:
http://everydaysystems.com/bb/search.ph ... thor=Kevin

Also, he's a huge baseball fan. 8)
What Navin said.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 16, 2008 1:09 pm

Welcome!

1. I do know of other diabetics who have reported success with No-s

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=5779

2. But do run it by your doctor. If nothing else, he might suggest modifying it a bit, like adding an extra meal, or some kind of emergency provision.

Reinhard

Disclaimer: I have 0 medical credentials. Please do not construe anything I write as medical advice.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Fri May 16, 2008 1:10 pm

Hey Reinhard: JINX!
What Navin said.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 16, 2008 1:11 pm

Wow, Blondie, same minute, same suggestion. We don't only think alike, we think it at the same time :-)

CatholicCajun

Post by CatholicCajun » Fri May 16, 2008 8:35 pm

Ok, what is vanilla No S?
Je'sus, j'Ai Confiance dans Vous

Airen08

Post by Airen08 » Fri May 16, 2008 8:39 pm

I'm not a diabetic either...BUT...I wanted to say that I suffer from Fibromyalgia and Crohns Disease. This diet has really helped my Crohns, not so much the Fibro (since diet doesn't help it anyways). But, I would talk to your doctor. My mother is a diabetic and she has to eat 5-6 small meals to keep her sugar in check.
SW: 290
CW: 255
GW: 150
Started No-S on 3/1/08 at 290

JustAnnie

Post by JustAnnie » Fri May 16, 2008 9:10 pm

(RAISING HAND) Greeting Suzie! I am diabetic (Type 2) and if you look at my join date you will see that I've been doing this for a couple of years now. YES, it works. My doctor is very happy with the 32 pounds I have dropped and my blood sugar levels are much better too.

You do, of course, have to keep your dibetes in mind when you select your foods. I like to do the balanced plate. It keeps me healthy and on track. I devote 1/4 of my plate to carbs, 1/4 to protein and the remaining 2/4 to mostly veggies and a fruit or two. (This would be on my "No-S" days.)

As you know, diabetics don't have to completely avoid sugar but they do have to restrict it. On the weekends I fit in an occasional sweet treat but I am always mindful about overloading with carbs. I sometimes do the second thing on weekends and "S" days too but I'm not feeling the need to do that as much these days. Are you also Type 2?
Just Annie

You Can't Fail Until You Quit Trying

JustAnnie

Post by JustAnnie » Fri May 16, 2008 9:12 pm

BTW.....my sugar actually does better on "No S" days where I eat three times a day then when I eat many snacks throughout the day. By testing your blood sugar several times a day when you first start No Sing, you will be able to determine if this is true for you too.
Just Annie

You Can't Fail Until You Quit Trying

suzie832

Post by suzie832 » Sat May 17, 2008 9:14 am

Hey ya'll thanks for all your respones to my question. I am a type 2. I haven't talked to my doctor yet, but I will, I just wanted to see what the rest of you thought.....thanks

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Mon May 19, 2008 7:43 am

I would definitely recommend talking to your doctor, but be aware many medical doctors are not dieticians and the info they have can be out dated.

I have Type 2 diabetes and I have definitely found that with eating 3 good meals a day rather than permananently snacking my insulin / glucose levels are more stable. I find that with 3 meals a day I am more thoughtful of what I eat and I tend more towards the things that digest slower (whole grains / fruit / veggies) and fill me for longer which reduces the glucose surge of highly refined carbs.

I still have days where I eat oddly (too many refined carbs and not enough veggies and fruit) and I find on those days I battle with surges and lows. On those days a glass of milk between lunch and dinner helps level things out and keep me going till dinner.

Since starting back with vanilla No S in January this year, I have had no major swings in levels on N Days. I have had a couple of bad S days, but I am learning that as my N Days become more entrenched, my S days tend to be N Days with a few planned (non-sneaking) snacks or sweets which reduces the glucose lows.

I was definitely guilty of 'bad' snacks when I was having my 6 meals a day as per most diabetic diets and I often found I ate all day. For me this definitely did not help my insulin / glucose levels to be stable.

To answer your question: You can definitely do No S if you are diabetic, you will just need to take it slower in the begining and schedule in extra meals until your body adjusts and then look at moving to vanilla No S.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

suzie832

Vanilla no S?

Post by suzie832 » Mon May 19, 2008 11:01 am

Thanks again for your replies Just Annie and MerryKat, hope I got thoes names right...anyway I hate to sound stupid....but what is the Vanilla no S diet?

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Mon May 19, 2008 1:46 pm

Vanilla No S = the original No S with no modifications or tweaking.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)