Is hot chocolate ok on N Days

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

DXB1605

Is hot chocolate ok on N Days

Post by DXB1605 » Mon May 26, 2008 4:42 pm

Whilst the Northern Hemisphere are enjoying summer (lucky you) those of us in the Southern Hemisphere are shivering in winter and hot chocolate in bed would be just the thing. Is it ok to have on an N day or is that a bit too close to SWEET?

Thanks
Delene

whitway

Post by whitway » Mon May 26, 2008 4:50 pm

I think most Hot Chocolates have too much sugar to not be considered a Sweet but that's just me, however I'm treating today as a S Day as it is a National Holiday.

whitway

Post by whitway » Mon May 26, 2008 4:51 pm

of course that's here in the USA. Just noticed your in South Africa.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Mon May 26, 2008 7:38 pm

I make no secret of the fact that I view artificial sweeteners a Gift from God,
and use them whenever I like.

With beverages just as with food, I go by the almighty calorie count.

If you are of the same mind,
Neslie's has little packets of sugar-free cocoa, made with skim milk,
that dissolve in a cup of hot water, and is only 50 calories.
Swiss Miss has several different kinds of sugar-free,
their good one called "sugar-free" is also about 50 calories,
and they have one called "diet" that is about 25 calories.

Personally, I think they are fine anytime.
Although I think if one uses them as a substitute for a snack,
like one might milk or juice as an allowable between-meal drink,
it's important to make the distinction that cocoa has calories and will up your day's intake.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Mon May 26, 2008 7:42 pm

A beverage, even a sugary one is better than chomping into a real food snack. It doesn't really interfere with your goal to make not snacking your new habit.

But most of us No-Sers use a beverage like hot cocoa, milk or juice as an emergency maneuver when we are having a tough time. I used the hot cocoa trick late at night when it was hardest for me to not have a snack. After awhile I was able to kick that all together. But I will still resort to that without guilt, should I really need to.

If you are drinking the cocoa just to warm yourself, I would suggest finding something else, something with no sugar or very little. If you make it too desserty you may find yourself using it as a substitute for a snack, and not just a warmer upper.
Dawn

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon May 26, 2008 8:18 pm

This is an area where there's a lot of individualized responses.

For me, it's firmly in the S category. (And while I don't do sugar-free anything, I would count sugar-free stuff as a sweet if the "real thing" would count as a sweet.)

And clearly, there are opposing views on that. :) The biggest question is really "will it help you stay on target, or derail you?"

That's the beauty of No-S... the basic rules are simple, but implementation can vary. Up to you to be self-aware and honest enough to make good decisions... which may change over time as your habits become stronger.

Good luck!

(PS - I do love warm herbal teas, possibly with a touch of honey. The rule is not "no sugar," it's "no sweets.")

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Mon May 26, 2008 11:11 pm

How about tea?, I know it's not the same as chocolate but, it's been working for me for years, I wouln't go to bed during winter without my big cup of tea and my hot water bottle!.
If I'll be in bed for a while I just make a teapot and keep it by the bed.
Plus that way, I don't have to get up and brush my teeth before falling asleep.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Mon May 26, 2008 11:16 pm

KCCC wrote:I don't do sugar-free anything,
I would count sugar-free stuff as a sweet
if the "real thing" would count as a sweet
And clearly, there are opposing views on that. :)

The biggest question is really "will it help you stay on target, or derail you?"
That's the beauty of No-S... the basic rules are simple, but implementation can vary.
Up to you to be self-aware and honest enough to make good decisions
It is true.
In No S,
We all do what we do.

I do sugar-free everything,
and don't count food as a "sweet"
unless it "really is" a sweet....i.e. made with sugar.

However, I ALSO count calories along with doing No S,
so high calorie treats are unacceptable to me on a regular basis
whether they are "sweets" or not.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Remy

Post by Remy » Tue May 27, 2008 1:10 am

I am new so that may not qualify me to provide any authoritative answer but here is my take anyway!

I think hot chocolate would be okay because Reinhard says you can have sugar in your coffee or tea so I assume other sweet drinks would be acceptable. He also suggests drinking a glass of milk to help between meals. So the combination should be fine.

I don't like sweetened drinks so never have sugar in coffee, tea etc. (I love sweetened everything else unfortunately.) I do like hot chocolate but love it my way using unsweetened raw cocoa powder - a teaspoon mixed with half a cup of hot water to dissolve, topped up with milk and nuked in the microwave. It is slightly bitter, not sweet at all but very satisfying and warming.

Betty

Post by Betty » Wed May 28, 2008 7:00 am

I've given up coffee and tea for health reasons, but still have the occasional cocoa. However, I don't use the store bought stuff, which is really too sweet for me, even on an S day.

When I was in France I went to a cafe that sold "chocolate espressos." Just cocoa and milk. I make mine with a tiny teaspoon of sugar and it's really a great coffee substitute.

On the other hand, there's a significant amount of caffeine in powdered cocoa, so I don't know if it's something to drink before bed...

Betty