The Year of the Potato

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

The Year of the Potato

Post by wosnes » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:00 pm

I've run into this from two very different sources over the last week:

This is from Mary Hunt's Everyday Cheapskate newsletter:

Load Up on Potatoes for Nutrition and Thrift

Whether you’re a news junkie or grocery price hound, you are keenly aware that the cost of food is rising. And not only in America, but around the world. As wheat and rice prices surge, there’s one commodity that is getting a lot of attention: potatoes. In fact there are some who predict potatoes will emerge as the solution to world hunger.

As a way to focus on this situation, the United Nations named 2008 the International Year of the Potato, calling the vegetable a “hidden treasure.â€

Potatoes will grow almost anywhere, require very little water and mature in just 50 days. They are nutritious, have only 5 percent of the fat content of wheat (provided they’re not loaded up with butter and sour cream) and come in a rainbow of colors, from alabaster-white to bright yellow and deep purple.

They also have one-fourth of the calories of bread and, when boiled, have more protein than corn and nearly twice the calcium, according to the Potato Center. They contain vitamin C, iron, potassium and zinc.

If you’re interested in keeping a lid on soaring grocery prices without giving up nutrition, start buying more potatoes.
This is from Dr. McDougall's newsletter:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2008nl/may/potato.htm
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

gingercake

Post by gingercake » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:40 pm

Finally it gets a little respect. I've been so tired over the last 5 or 6 years hearing from carb-phobics in public forums saying a potato is the "worst" thing you can eat. It is a whole food! I love them with the skin on and some olive oil. Or with some chili beans and avocado on top. Or roasted with smoked paprika. It's one of the best things in the world. Also, I don't know why (maybe because of the potassium and high mineral content?) but a lot of times I've been able to cure an oncoming migraine with potato. All hail the mighty spud!

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:11 pm

A baked potato with a scoop of cottage cheese on top is delicious, too!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:24 pm

Hmmmmmmmm... maybe need to start pulling out all those potato recipes :D

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

kbits

Post by kbits » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:04 pm

Well, there is a diet book called "Potatoes, not Prozac".... maybe it was onto something? :>

Jaxhil

Post by Jaxhil » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:54 pm

Yum. Love potatoes! I agree, it's about time they got back on the "virtuous list" of foods! LOL.

I used to make a salad with steamed little red new potatoes, spinach, sauted mushrooms with red onions and sometimes a bit of bacon lightly mixed with Italian dressing...soooo good! I should make it again~of course the little red potatoes are a wee bit more expensive than the basic variety. But definitely worth it!
Hilary
_______

"Habit, if not resisted, soon becomes necessity."-St Augustine

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."-Thomas Jefferson

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:22 am

Jaxhil,
that sounds delicious. Yum. Were the spinach and red onions cooked?
Wim

flipturn

Post by flipturn » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:05 pm

I also love potatoes, and especially double-baked. I scoop out the insides, mix that with cottage cheese and scallions, put some cheese on top, and put them back in the oven. It is very satisfying for lunch or dinner. I don't buy the idea that some carbs are better than others, but some certainly have more nutrients. As we have learned from No S, eat what works best for you and enjoy your meal.