What do you eat for Breakfast????

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

slickchic

What do you eat for Breakfast????

Post by slickchic » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:46 pm

I have never been a breakfast eater, NEVER!!! Coffee has always been my breakfast, but have decided that is not setting a very good habit for my DD's.

So, besides cereal, yogurt and eggs what is your favorite???

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:03 am

We do oatmeal. I like old-fashioned "real" oatmeal, not the mixes, so I set it up the night before in the fridge - approximately equal amounts of oatmeal and milk (2 cups for the 3 of us works, divided a bit unevenly), a pinch of salt and large dash of cinnamon. I'd mix in raisins except we have someone in the family who objects. :)

In the morning, I add fresh fruit and nuts and eat mine cold. My hubby adds more cinnamon and heats his. Our son likes honey on his, and also eats his hot. It just takes a minute to heat in the microwave.

Fast, easy, and relatively healthy. On the weekends we do eggs or something that takes more time.

feelgood

Post by feelgood » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:19 am

I eat 1 cup Fiber One and fruit (raspberries tomorrow YUM) or oatmeal and raisins.

gingercake

Post by gingercake » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:12 am

Right now my favorite breakfast is whole grain toast with peanut butter, and a yogurt/fruit smoothie. And coffee.

I also like eggs...like a homemade mcmuffin - egg, veggie sausage or canadian bacon, english muffin, maybe half a slice of swiss.

In winter, I like steel cut oats with a little maple syrup and some pecans.

I've never been able to do cereal/milk/fruit for breakfast. I find I need some fat like that in eggs or peanut butter or cheese or else my blood sugar isn't stable enough to make it to lunch.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:20 am

PB is a good choice.

A prior fave of mine was whole-wheat bagel with PB and banana.

Or cheese toast with fruit.

I agree protein helps. I always have a few nuts on my oatmeal, in addition to the milk.

gingercake

Post by gingercake » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 am

KCCC wrote:We do oatmeal. I like old-fashioned "real" oatmeal, not the mixes, so I set it up the night before in the fridge - approximately equal amounts of oatmeal and milk (2 cups for the 3 of us works, divided a bit unevenly), a pinch of salt and large dash of cinnamon. I'd mix in raisins except we have someone in the family who objects. :)
I'd never thought about doing this the night before and then eating it cold. What's the texture in the morning? Do you start with rolled oats or steel cut?

Jaxhil

Post by Jaxhil » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:42 am

I like homemade oatmeal, with pecans and blueberries-yum! Sometimes apple (and gingercake, maple syrup sounds like a great addition-thanks for the idea!)

Sometimes I'll add yogurt to the oatmeal as well. I also have egg sandwiches or home-made muffins and yogurt.

I used to eat cheese toast, but haven't done so in quite awhile-it sounds good! I'll have to remember that-I too find I need to make sure there's some fat/protein in my breakfasts, or I have a very hard time making it til lunch without getting very hungry.
Hilary
_______

"Habit, if not resisted, soon becomes necessity."-St Augustine

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."-Thomas Jefferson

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:15 pm

gingercake wrote:
KCCC wrote:We do oatmeal. I like old-fashioned "real" oatmeal, not the mixes, so I set it up the night before in the fridge - approximately equal amounts of oatmeal and milk (2 cups for the 3 of us works, divided a bit unevenly), a pinch of salt and large dash of cinnamon. I'd mix in raisins except we have someone in the family who objects. :)
I'd never thought about doing this the night before and then eating it cold. What's the texture in the morning? Do you start with rolled oats or steel cut?
I do old-fashioned rolled oats, but if steel-cut weren't pricey in this area, I'd do those. It's soft in the morning - if you warm it, it's just like regular cooked oatmeal. Soaking raisins or other dried fruit in it is really yummy, I think.

Someone posted that soaked oats were a foundation for muesli-type cereals... don't really know about that, but this is good. :)

CatholicCajun

Post by CatholicCajun » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:27 pm

usually 1/2 cup fiber one, milk and fruit
Je'sus, j'Ai Confiance dans Vous

MissyMoo

Post by MissyMoo » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:00 pm

I usually do one egg, one slice double fiber bread w/butter, and soy sausage.

I agree that the fat helps keep me full for a long time.

Sometimes I will eat leftover salad (romaine, feta, sunflower seeds, etc.) for b/f.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:02 pm

My favorite b'fast is bob's red mill meusli about a cup with a cup of yoplait yogurt (strawberry/peach) mixed in. Not hot, just cold all mixed up.

I also like sesame bagel with cream cheese and a fruit. And then I also like the bagel or english muffin with cream cheese, canadian bacon, egg and cheese slice. YUM!

Those are my typical standbys. S b'fasts are usually something like egg, sausage and b'fast potatoes or pancakes, etc.

I used to go for the cinnamon rolls but I find it makes me feel all "sugary" which means headache, racyheart and craving sweets all day.
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

noSer

Post by noSer » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:52 pm

Started this when the kids went to school, and we do it during the school year. Summer is a lot more relaxed :)

Monday - Muffins. Good ones, with oatmeal, nuts, and dried cranberries
Tuesday - Toast, and usually cereal.
Wednesday - Waffles - An oatmeal waffle recipe I got from my sil topped with pb and maple syrup
Thursday - Thereal - Ok, if you can think of an TH food, let me know :)
Friday - Flapjacks - also topped with pb and maple syrup
Saturday is free day, and Sunday is sweet rolls. (Orange danish from the can)

We also usually eat scrambled eggs except for Saturday.

Most of these can be made the night before, and reheated in the microwave or toaster.

That being said, most days I eat oatmeal with cinnamon, flax seed meal, a couple tablespoons of pumpkin, dried blueberries and soy milk.

Have a great day!
Last edited by noSer on Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's more of a waste around the waist than it is in the garbage pail.
Beginning again 04/19
April 2019: 242 :(
July 29, 2019 218.5
Aug 5, 2019 220.5
Oct 28, 2019 205.5
Nov 11, 2019 203

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:21 pm

KCCC wrote: Someone posted that soaked oats were a foundation for muesli-type cereals... don't really know about that, but this is good. :)
I think that may have been me, I have a recipe somewhere for swiss muesli which says to soak the oats overnight (with fruit and nuts), the reasoning was something to do with breaking down a substance in oats which is difficult to digest (an enzyme I think). I've yet to try the recipe though, still eating hot oats in the mornings (waiting for summer to start in the UK and hoping it won't be like last year, which went: winter, spring, 3 months of rain, winter LOL).

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:00 pm

slickchic wrote:I have never been a breakfast eater, NEVER!!! Coffee has always been my breakfast, but have decided that is not setting a very good habit for my DD's.

So, besides cereal, yogurt and eggs what is your favorite???
Personally, I think "a good breakfast" is highly overrated. I think as long as you're not eating sugary, junk food cereals or toaster pastries or most cereal bars you're setting a good example for your dd's.

Most days my breakfast is coffee, sometimes with toast. Sometimes fruit is added to that. Some days I make a smoothie. Rarely do I have more than that. It's only occasionally that I have cereal or eggs or anything more. I usually don't get tempted to snack before lunch.

My own dd's rarely eat breakfast (and never have). Come to think of it, most people I know eat very little in the morning.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:46 pm

My breakfast is usually 2 eggs and one slice of 7 grain toast w/ butter, sometimes I'll have PB and banana sandwich, occasionally I'll have cereal...usually a granola type. Fairly often I'll have half an orange with my eggs & toast.

I love the smell and flavours of oatmeal, but no matter how I make it...I can't get past the texture...it makes me gag. Thick or thin, with water or milk.....ugh. :(
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

gingercake

Post by gingercake » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:13 pm

I do old-fashioned rolled oats, but if steel-cut weren't pricey in this area, I'd do those. It's soft in the morning - if you warm it, it's just like regular cooked oatmeal.
I'm going to try it. What's the worst that can happen? I think I'd like it with steel cut, because I like chewy/crunchy.

t0r1

Post by t0r1 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:19 pm

I too could handle just having coffee with some milk for breakfast, but I try to eat a little something anyways. I have 3 normal staples:

1. Plain yogurt w/ protein powder, which adds sweetness, and flax seeds
2. Cottage cheese w/ pineapple or peaches or cantaloupe
3. Oatmeal, oat bran or steel cut oats w/ agave nectar and flax seeds

I also add cinnamon to all of the above. I like these things because I can throw them together the night before or in the morning right before work. I eat at my desk so it is nice to have them already prepared and ready to eat at my leisure.

Hope this helps!

Tori

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:22 pm

wosnes wrote:
Personally, I think "a good breakfast" is highly overrated. I think as long as you're not eating sugary, junk food cereals or toaster pastries or most cereal bars you're setting a good example for your dd's.
Lol! My sisters and I used to eat the most unusual breakfasts - chili, etc. - because we didn't like most breakfast food and mom insisted we eat something.

She yielded to our argument that "if it's healthy enough to be lunch, it's healthy enough to be breakfast!" (But I think we partly enjoyed grossing her out a little. Teenagers.)

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:47 pm

I'd go nuts without breakfast. :(

Puffed multigrain kashi (0 g sugar), scoop of hemp or rice protein, some sort of mixed fruit including a banana, 1 tb. flax, some kind of nondairy nonsoy milk.

Occasionally oatmeal or Bob's mixed grain cereal with raisins and cinnamon.

Weekends: Asian Elvis sandwich: organic chunky salted peanut butter, banana and Vietnamese garlic/chili sauce on rye or whole wheat bread.

f
One must know his limitations. -- John Milius
Beginning weight: 115
Currently: Haven't a clue

kbits

Post by kbits » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:01 pm

Whatever's the quickest and healthiest, given time available and what's in the fridge :-) Which is ironic really and goes to prove that habit is powerful and dumb - you just keep doing what you keep doing....

So -

Sometimes oats with tinned fruit or peanut butter, sometimes toast with baked beans or (a new favourite) cottage cheese, sometimes a glass of milk with Neskquik and some fruit. Occassional whatever leftovers were from last night (slice of pizza, soup etc)

I think my general process is - available, quick and has some protein.

noSer

Post by noSer » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:36 pm

KCCC -

Don't know where you live, but in our area the steel cut oats are a bargain at the health food store. I go to Whole Foods. It's the only thing I've ever found cheaper there, but they sell it in bulk, so you can get what you want. Way cheaper than whatever brand that is they have in the can at the grocery store. Might be worth checking out if you want them.

Have a great day!
It's more of a waste around the waist than it is in the garbage pail.
Beginning again 04/19
April 2019: 242 :(
July 29, 2019 218.5
Aug 5, 2019 220.5
Oct 28, 2019 205.5
Nov 11, 2019 203

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:17 pm

During the week, I most often eat (good) bread and (good) cheese plus some fresh fruit on the side (and a mug of black coffee). Sometimes cold cereal with fresh fruit and whole milk (oatmeal is for lunch).

Reinhard

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:57 pm

noSer wrote:KCCC -

Don't know where you live, but in our area the steel cut oats are a bargain at the health food store. I go to Whole Foods. It's the only thing I've ever found cheaper there, but they sell it in bulk, so you can get what you want. Way cheaper than whatever brand that is they have in the can at the grocery store. Might be worth checking out if you want them.

Have a great day!
Thanks for the tip, noSer. We don't have Whole Foods in this area. :( I really wish we did.

Our health food store carries them, but in tiny little containers that cost as much as the big ones of old-fashioned. However, I'll double-check the bulk aisle, just to be sure. It's possible I missed them.

Steel-cut would be a treat. I'm okay with old-fashioned, but don't care for "quick" and draw the line at instant. Instant with chemicals ("flavorings") are right out. ;)

slickchic

Post by slickchic » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:09 pm

WOW!! Thanks for all the great ideas!! I went to Whole Foods today and we ground our own fresh peanut butter. I never thought of that on toast, we would all like that.
You all have given so many great ideas. I will definately be trying a lot of them.

feelgood

Post by feelgood » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:56 pm

You know, I haven't had peanut butter in the house in years, unless I was binging. I think PB is the next food that I'm going to learn to deal with normally. PB and toast in the morning sounds excellent. I like variety-haven't been bored at all on No-s; quite the contrary, since I'm cooking better and making each meal count.
PB rules.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:21 pm

Optimized Oatmeal.

Actually, that's become, "I need a meal and am too damn lazy to cook" meal. I actually had it for dinner one rather busy day.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:40 am

ezekiel cereal, organic plain yogurt, fresh fruit or splash of Nama shoyu ... nama shoyu suggestion from lola628 :D ,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

xJocelynx87

Post by xJocelynx87 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:29 am

I try to get dairy, grains, fruit, and a little bit of protein at breakfast so my favorites are:

--a bowl of kashi or other healthy cereal with 2% milk and fruit (usually banana
OR
--a whole grain mini bagel or piece of toast spread with peanut butter, organic vanilla yogurt, and fruit

I enjoy both of these with a large mug of coffee with cream and a little sugar...mmm. I love breakfast. :-D

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:40 am

feelgood wrote:You know, I haven't had peanut butter in the house in years, unless I was binging. I think PB is the next food that I'm going to learn to deal with normally. PB and toast in the morning sounds excellent. I like variety-haven't been bored at all on No-s; quite the contrary, since I'm cooking better and making each meal count.
PB rules.
I've just re-discovered peanut butter having considered it a forbidden food for about 2 years! At first I went a bit nuts (excuse the pun) and more or less found a way to eat it with each meal LOL but the novelty has worn off now and I have some in my cupboard on standby for a quick lunch PB sandwich, or a breakfast of PB toast (with a bit of honey). I think if I can have it a few times a week that would be sensible and balanced :) Before No S, a jar of PB wouldn't last long, I'd snack on PB on toast, or just eat it out of the jar with a spoon, but I haven't been tempted to do that at all now :)

clio

Post by clio » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:04 pm

i've been having 2 eggs sunny side up, on 2 halves of a toasted mulit-grain english muffin with a side of steamed broccoli and pear green tea. It's delicious, (especially since I'm usually hungry), the broccoli helps fill me up and I'm still not tired of it.
SW: 154