sandbagging

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

GLENDA

sandbagging

Post by GLENDA » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:51 pm

On msn.com today in the health section is a sandbag workout-They stole Reinhardt's idea only with sand!!!!! Reinhardt was way ahead of his time!!!

kbits

Post by kbits » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:59 am

Sandbags are the implement du jure at the moment. Having said that, I hate the friggen things - heavy and uncooperative :P

Give me a nice, clean, simple barbell or sledge any day...sandies are too much like hard work (tm) :D

NoelFigart

Re: sandbagging

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:20 pm

GLENDA wrote:On msn.com today in the health section is a sandbag workout-They stole Reinhardt's idea only with sand!!!!! Reinhardt was way ahead of his time!!!
Ya know, the whole thing about "stealing" ideas? Not quite so. It's a bit more more complicated than that. I wrote a story in the early 1990s about a dragon and a little girl where I mentally pictured Sean Connery as the "voice" of the dragon. Then along comes Dragonheart. Did they steal the idea? Of course not! That's just one of those blisteringly obvious things.

If they "stole" it from anyone, it might have been Krista Scott-Dixon. Her Stumptuous website has some stuff about sandbags and how to use sand to make weights and heavy things to throw around.

flipturn

Post by flipturn » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:32 pm

Carlos Santana, a well-known functional-fitness authority/trainer in FL, has used sandbags and fire department dummies, for years. He has clients flinging those 100-lb. sacks around as though they were 10-lb weights.

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:39 am

kbits wrote:sandies are too much like hard work (tm) :D
Isn't that rather the point of exercise?
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:07 pm

I don't know. Seems different enough (and not nearly as much fun).

Anyway, as I point out on the shovelglove home page, there's plenty of historical precedent for shovelglove, it's not like I created it ex nihilo. And if shovelglove itself serves as precedent for other routines, amen. Some acknowledgment would be nice, but I don't think in this case it's warranted.

Reinhard

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:01 pm

flipturn wrote:Carlos Santana, a well-known functional-fitness authority/trainer in FL, has used sandbags and fire department dummies, for years. He has clients flinging those 100-lb. sacks around as though they were 10-lb weights.
Plus he can really wail on that axe.
What Navin said.