fruit!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jenabees

fruit!

Post by jenabees » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:30 pm

hi all,

summer is here with all the delightful fruit! How do you fit it all on your plate? I am finding myself wishing I could have more room for fruit. how do you get your fruit in, without being hungry because you have a half a plate of berries and half a meal?

does this make sense? :?

jena

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:37 pm

I ignore the one plate "rule" and just have a serving in addition to whatever is on my plate.

I'd been no-sing for quite some time before I realized there was a one plate rule and just had one serving of whatever was being served. Didn't matter if it all fit on one plate or not.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:32 pm

in the nos diet book, Reinhard actually has a section:
Does Fruit Have to Fit on My Plate ?

Fruit should fit on your plate. I eat fruit as part of my single-plate meals, and I eat plenty of it. Bulky, healthy fruit is good not only in itself but because of the real estate it takes up on your plate, displacing less healthy stuff.
anyway, I put fruit on my plate you can see a picture last night I had a huge salad with cherries :D at www.nosdiet.blogspot.com

Blueskighs
Last edited by blueskighs on Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

flipturn

Post by flipturn » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:23 pm

I usually have a home-made muffin or slice of banana bread (recipe found on the back of the Splenda-like substance sold at my local super-market) for breakfast. Since that doesn't take up very much room on my plate, I feel justified in eating a healthy portion of fruit. I also like a Waldorf salad made with an apple, a celery stalk, a handful each of walnuts and raisins, a little lemon juice and yogurt (sweetened with a little honey, sugar or sweetener) and have it for a No S dessert if there is a place for it.

flipturn

Post by flipturn » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:40 pm

blue -- I loved the Italian dinner and the photograph was so good that I could taste it If you ever have a spare 5 minutes, could you put the recipe for the risotto (well, I make that, but I am referring to the vegetables) on your blog? Delizioso!

Airen08

Post by Airen08 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:25 pm

I also just add in whatever fruit I want...whether it be with breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner. The peaches at WalMart the other day were calling my name. They smelled up the entire fruit/veggie area. They tasted just as good! I'm in mood for watermelon now...if I could just find a good one!!
SW: 290
CW: 255
GW: 150
Started No-S on 3/1/08 at 290

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:57 pm

A reasonable portion of fruit will fit on a plate just fine. And I think it's fine to sub fruit for veggies, btw.

If you want a lot of fruit, it helps to make sure that you also fit in enough protein and whole-grain to carry you to the next meal. Half a plate of fruit/veg, a quarter-plate of protein, a quarter plate of whole-grain will do it for me.

Enjoy! We just finished a watermelon, and had strawberries tonight. I've got some apricots for tomorrow.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:23 am

flipturn,

unfortunately I do not have that recipe :D as it was a restaurant meal ...

do you make risotto? I have not had the courage to attempt it :D

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

jenabees

Post by jenabees » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:52 am

thanks all you fruit lovers! I think I get the idea(s) now. :)
Cottleston Cottleston Cottleston Pie,
A fly can't bird, but a bird can fly.
Ask me a riddle and I reply
Cottleston Cottleston Cottleston Pie.

flipturn

Post by flipturn » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:49 pm

hi, blue -- Thanks for responding! I am relieved to know that you did not cook such an ambitious-soundin dish. Risotto is very easy to make, if you have the time. Just be sure to use high-quality ingredients (based on what you write about your meals, I would say that you do.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:18 pm

The safest thing to do is to just stick it on your plate. Otherwise you're going to wind up eating as much as you used to plus fruit instead of having the fruit replace something not quite as nutritious. I eat a lot of fruit, this isn't actually all that difficult. I think once you try it it'll feel very normal.

Some people might be able to navigate fruit-snacks or fruit-seconds, but I'd wait till you're very strong in habit before trying an advanced move like that.

Reinhard