Please don't let me go!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

viggie

Please don't let me go!

Post by viggie » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:44 pm

My dd is 120lbs overweight ,and I haven't convinced her to give No-S a try. She wants me to go back to WW with her and ,because I want her to lose I've commited to go. I want her to see that No-Sing works, but I haven't been sticking to it myself. After my vaction I just can't seem to get back on track :( . So I'll probably be trying to do ww and no-s at the same time. Isn't the Core Plan on WW kinda like no-sing? Please don't let me go!

[/b]

jaob

Post by jaob » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:07 pm

viggie-I think right now supporting your daughter is most important. But you can definitely use Core foods while NoSing. Use the 35 WPA on your S days and eat core on your N days. Maybe your DD will see how easy that could be, but at this point I think that whatever she is willing to commit to would be helpful for her as well as your support. Best of luck to you both!!
My times are in Your hands. Psa 31:15

viggie

Post by viggie » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:12 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. Now I don't feel like a complete traitor! Again thanks :D

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:17 pm

One of the lovely things about No-S is that it doesn't limit what you put on your plate each day. So, it can "layer" beautifully with other eating plans. (Unless those eating plans WANT you to eat sugar, snacks, etc!)

I think No-S could actually help you on WW. Here's my thinking.

- Easier to track what you've eaten. When I was on WW, I had to write things down as I ate them, b/c I'd forget. On No-S, I track my menus on my daily check-in, and can do it from memory in the evening. Three meals are memorable; perma-snacking is not.

- Fewer sweets (or sweet-like things) and snacks translates to better-quality and more satisfying meals. When I was on WW, I skimped on meals trying to "save" for treats. As a result, I'd pig out on stuff when I got hungry. If you "spend" your points on real meals, I suspect the whole system will work better.

- Fewer temptations with fake foods. I like the basic WW program, but I think their food line is really icky... but I do have a strong personal bias against fake foods, which I realize not everyone shares. (YMMV on this one.)

- The "flex-points" (or whatever they're calling them this week) work well on S-days.

And although I think No-S is better than WW because it moves out of the deprivation-counting mindset, I do think that WW offers a good level of group support (which helps) and some good information/ideas.

Good luck in supporting your daughter, AND in supporting yourself.

Look forward to hearing from you about how it's working. :)
Last edited by kccc on Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

mjn

Post by mjn » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:17 pm

You say "please, don't let me go". I don't think you really want to do the WW. Have you used the HabitCal? If you haven't I suggest that you tell your daughter that you would like to give it a try and really stick with it. I was doing WW before I started this and I can tell you, this sticks and it is a lifestyle change. WW doesn't last for alot of people. Please, don't give this up. Just my thoughts.

randallkharris

Post by randallkharris » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:43 am

KCCC, I think you are exactly right with your observations about the interface between WW and NoS -- I lost a significant amount of weight on WW, and I was most successful when I did all the things you mentioned: use points for good, solid, healthy meals, not snacks; eating real food instead of fake food, etc. I couldn't keep up WW long-term because of the incessant counting, however -- which is why I am a confirmed NoS-er! NoS is slower for me than WW, of course (I found that I could easily lose 1-2 pounds a week on WW when I was "good"), but I am gradually coming to grips with that and just enjoying the journey. Enjoying the journey is what NoS seems to be all about, fortunately!

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:16 pm

Randall, I was quite successful on WW.

Twice. :oops:

The trouble was, I couldn't maintain on it. Took too much attention. I totally love No-S because once the habits are established, it gets much easier. Not always easy, but definitely easier, especially for the long haul.

I feel the difference between WW and No-S is the difference between a sprint and a long run. (Not that I'm a runner - just seems a good metaphor.) What I can do in sprint-mode is not sustainable long-term.

And now that I have a process I trust, instead of being frantic about the scale or weight loss, I just have a sort of mild curiosity about where I'll end up... I'm at a good BMI now, and I've decided to let go of the "just five more pounds" mentality that used to cause me so much unhappiness.

viggie

Post by viggie » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Thanks guys! I have tried to get my daughter to give No-sing a try, but she lost 50lbs on WW and she thinks that's the only thing that will help her. I will send her to this board and she if she gets the point about No-sing. But if she doesn't get if I'm going to still do it like you guys said. Use my points to have really good meals, and save the rest for my weekends for my sweets. Thanks again. Oh btw I think No-sing is way better than WW!

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:16 pm

Viggie, I would just say to be careful not to complicate things too much in trying to do both. The beauty of No-S for me is that it is just so simple to follow. And no guilt about points or carbs or calories. I'm not saying WW is not a great diet. I think it's very well-organized, but I just couldn't maintain that level of tracking everything I eat. I knew I had to find a better way. No S is it for me.
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen