Starting over. No, I mean REALLY starting over!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

angelka71

Starting over. No, I mean REALLY starting over!

Post by angelka71 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:19 am

I started No S in April and made it through the first 30 days with only a few red days. The patterns were really starting to take hold, my cravings for sweets was diminishing, my hunger only came right before a meal. In fact, I was playing with the idea of tweaking my diet a bit.

Then the tragedy struck and I've spent roughly another 30 days back in my pre-No S eating patterns.

Now I'm trying to get back on track and I'm finding it more difficult than at first. In the beginning, there was the whole novelty of doing something new that kept me going for a while and I was super motivated. (This board especially was very motivating).

I was hoping that I could pick up where I left off, but sadly, the carb (sweets) cravings are back with a vengence, and I'm hungrier again.

Well, stuff happens, I guess but I think I may have learned something valuable. DON"T STOP! It sucks to have to go back to start. (Just venting)

rose

Post by rose » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:55 pm

Venting is fine ;)

Anyway, even without such tragic circumstances, life is full of upsets and setbacks. Each time you make the effort to get back on track after holidays/having a baby/surgery/whatever, you gain some experience, and possibly next time you will know how to deal with it better (I mean both how to keep noSing through stressful times and how to get back in the saddle after losing it).

Keep at it. It will get better.
Started NoS Jan 07 at 74.5kg (164 lbs, BMI 26.7)
Stable since Jan 08 at 64kg (141 lbs, BMI 23)
My progress chart

anovelgirl

Post by anovelgirl » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:34 pm

Boy, isn't that the truth! There's always something just around the corner, it seems like.

Coping is such a huge part of any lifestyle change, and it never seems easy. I don't know how many times I've derailed myself on a great start, because something happened in my personal life. To be honest, however, I think it was just an excuse to go back to the way I was.

The thing I like about this way of eating, and maybe this will help you, is that I wasn't super-duper excited about it. It's just like normal eating to me, except a little different. Whenever I start getting anxious about how much weight I'll lose or how fast, I sorta switch mental gears. I'm really trying not to see this as a "diet", but more of a change in my eating that will pay off in the long run. The fact that I wasn't gung-ho about it, makes me think this time will be different.

If I examine it too much mentally, then I'll start obsessing over the foods I can't have, rather than the foods I am having. The trick for me is just to not give it any thought, and go on auto-pilot until I'm deep in the habit.

Don't worry - dust yourself off and get back in the saddle. You're doing great just by taking this first step again!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:55 pm

In the beginning, there was the whole novelty of doing something new that kept me going for a while and I was super motivated.
Novelty definitely can help in overcoming inertia!

That being said, my fundamental motivation is my belief that for me, there is really no other place to go :D

and after all, this is such a nice place to be!

You might have to make a super tough effort for a few days, but I think the momentum it would build would be worthwhile,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:32 am

No S can be an awful struggle sometimes! It sounds so simple and sensible (because it IS simple and sensible!), but making it happen can be very hard!

One thing that helps me is just to take one day, one meal, and one moment at a time. I cannot try to stick to this for life, but I can try to get one more green on my habitcal. I cannot always make it through a whole day, but I can usually come up with something to help me get through the next hour.

Just take babysteps. Focus on the habits, rather than the food. And be gentle with yourself as you heal! (((Hugs)))

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:44 am

Any time there's a break in habit-building, you can't expect to "pick up where you left off."

If you were weight-lifting, you'd start back at a lower rate.
If you were running, you'd cut your distance.
If you played a musical instrument, you'd be on an easier song than where you left off.

You can work back up to where you were, but don't beat yourself up because you didn't "pick up where you left off." OF COURSE you didn't! And no one reasonable would expect you too. (Ah, but we are often most UNreasonable with our own expectations, aren't we?)

Be gentle with yourself. Start small, at the "oh, I can do THAT!" level, and work back up.

And we'll all be rooting for you. :)

angelka71

Post by angelka71 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:17 am

Awww! See, this is why I love this board so much! You guys are so supportive!

Today was a green day, even though it required some thought and effort but just getting to mark the green on my Habitcal has put me in a more positive frame of mind.

Betty

Post by Betty » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:10 am

Angelka,

Just wanted to add a word of support. Life is hard sometimes.

Wishing you the best,

Betty

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:35 pm

angelka71,

Best of luck this go. Don't be discouraged that it didn't stick last time. It takes most people several tries. Habit building is hard work. But once they're solidly built, they're ease itself to maintain. Let that thought encourage you through the hard part.

Reinhard

CatholicCajun

Post by CatholicCajun » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:44 pm

Welcome back and God Bless you with success. You can do this!!!
Je'sus, j'Ai Confiance dans Vous