Geez, I'm a Goofball!!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Gail

Geez, I'm a Goofball!!

Post by Gail » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:22 pm

OK, I am feeling all sorry for myself, but I am over 2 weeks into this thing and have only had 3 successful days. So whose fault is THAT? Mine of course. I have the book now and am going to read it faithfully. One thing that really helped was to track your behavior, not results. The results will come with good behavior. I truly believe that. So NOW I have to BEHAVE myself. I am going to have more successful days.
WE CAN DO THIS!

CatholicCajun

Re: Geez, I'm a Goofball!!

Post by CatholicCajun » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:52 pm

Gail wrote:OK WE CAN DO THIS!
Yes we can, and yes you can!!! It takes time to develop new habits. I find that if I write up little motivational sayings and posting them where I can see them, especially on the refrigerator and the pantry it really helps, I post them on the bathroom mirrow that way it's the first thing I read in the morning. God Bless.
Je'sus, j'Ai Confiance dans Vous

rose

Post by rose » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:01 pm

Hello Gail,

it helps to analyze why you fail and take steps to minimize temptation.
If you eat because you are bored, get busy.
If you eat because you are thirsty, drink water instead.
If you eat because of a craving, think about your last meal: was it balanced? was the quantity enough?
If you eat because you can't help yourself when in sight of food: hide the food (especially sweets), stay away from vending machines, flee when colleagues bring cake to work...

and so on...
Started NoS Jan 07 at 74.5kg (164 lbs, BMI 26.7)
Stable since Jan 08 at 64kg (141 lbs, BMI 23)
My progress chart

Writer110

Post by Writer110 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:42 pm

Hi Gail,

I also found in the beginning to really focus on the HABIT itself- rather than what I was eating and how much. I ate 3 big plates a day of whatever I wanted so I would have no feelings of deprivation whatsoever. As time went by I naturally began to make healthier choices and the weight began to fall away. Please don't put too much pressure on yourself in the beginning to eat "right" or to lose weight right a way.

HTH!

Moxi

anovelgirl

Post by anovelgirl » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:27 pm

Gail, I think you're very smart to put your attention on behavior, rather than the "details". At the core of every ongoing problem is behavior. Once you've knicked that, you'll be in better shape.

I'm working on my behavior, too, and it can be all-consuming. I try not to study on it too much, and just make the right choices and move on to something else. Food has always been a central part of my life (I come from a southern family who celebrates everything under the sun with a plate of food), and while that's ok, I also realize I need other things in my life than just what the next meal is.

I read this book once that said everyone has something that is them. Eating, drinking, reading, smoking - even sex; it's just an important part of who they are as a person, a faction of their identity. Food has been mine, forever. I want something different now.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:56 pm

The results will come with good behavior. I truly believe that.
Gail,
I truly beleive that too, which is why I focus on my HABITCAL!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Betty

Post by Betty » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:06 am

Gail,

Dont beat yourself up. I had a lot of trouble complying with no-s in the beginning too. After listening to some sage advice on this board, I decided to slow way down and really focus on habits one at a time.

What I did was to break up the no-s habits into little bits. First, I did 21 days without seconds (as a perma snacker, that was the easiest one for me). then I added three weeks without sweets. Now I'm not snacking between breakfast and lunch. (Actually this ones been so tough for me that I'm going to give myself 6 weeks to master it) and then, finally, I'm going to go for the whole shebang.

Mind you, I've slowed down so much that I haven't lost much weight in the past two months, but I have been pretty on track with my habits and I certainly haven't gained anything.

And, for me, it feels better to set myself modest, do-able goals at which I can succeed than to have 2-3 red days every week. :wink:

Good luck with the no-s journey,

Betty.