Bran Muffins

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Laff

Bran Muffins

Post by Laff » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:59 am

Would you say a bran muffin was an S food or a relatively healthy alternative on a weekday. I haven't chosen a bran muffin for breakfast but today when I rushed out the door without breakfast and went through the coffee drive-through I wondered if a bran muffin would be acceptable. I had a bagel instead. Trying to sort this out (in my very anal way) I still end up a bit on the fence. I would likely never choose a bran muffin as a 'sweet'. No, I will be truthful, I would never choose a bran muffin as a sweet but at the same time it is sweeter than my usual breakfast fare. And then there is the thin (great word) edge of the wedge leading to other muffins that are def. sweets. I know I am beating this to death so the question is, would you consider a bran muffin an acceptable weekday breakfast food?
We, lifetime dieters, really like to take something easy and make it difficult. Two months into this way to eating and I am still loving it. I haven't weighed for nearly a month. I don't think I have lost or gained from the feel of my clothes. I will be on the scale the first week of July. My habitcal for NoS shows green and yellow which is great. The habitcal for getting enough sleep still has way to much red in it. Now I am way off topic so I shall say goodnight and go to bed.
Gotta smile. Laff

Achieving begins with believing!

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:32 am

I'd happily eat the muffin for breakfast, but the 'sweets' part was the only S that never caused me a problem. If it's liable to lead to problems for you, don't.

Mmm, muffin.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:48 pm

Laff - this may sound crazy, but you have to decide.

For you, an occasional bran muffing may be no big deal. But, it also may be a "trigger" food that in your heart, you know, you consider an S.

Personally, I wouldn't eat a bran muffin during the week because to me, bran muffins are sweet. And, Sweets are my "issue" more then snacks or seconds.

If you have the bran muffin and forget about it, then its probably fine. If you have the bran muffin and then start obessing about it, then it may be a red flag.

Hope that helps.

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:18 pm

I like what cvmom said about the muffin being a trigger food, and i think thats a critical aspect of NO-s to watch out for. I know I equate eating lite and diet 'sweets' with OVER eating. so on S-days i always get the full fat desserts, i enjoy them much more and eat much less.

When i used to eat lite, i would give myself the excuse to eat in excess.

not sure if this helps with the muffin scenario, but i think you have to constantly compare to your pre-no-S eating and post no-S eating. you might see that one Bran muffin is not a big deal compared to eating donuts for breakfast pre no-s ... just an example :)
Amyliz

START: 03/30/08 - 158- 161lbs range
Current: 145-148lbs range
On 12/22/09 I saw 145 on the scale for the first time in 7 years!

flipturn

Post by flipturn » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:46 pm

I might as well sign my name here as Betty Crocker, because I bake my own version of sweetish things that I like to eat for breakfast. I substitute unsweetened applesauce, Splenda and fruit for the usual culprits like oil and sugar. Trust me when I say that I am not a baker, but I like what I make and feel confident that I am not breaking any No S rules with what I have for breakfast.

Laff

Post by Laff » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:14 pm

Thank you all for your comments. They all spoke to me. When I reread my post and realized that in the middle of the night I was obsessing about a bran muffin it became clear that it is not the breakfast for me. . . yet and maybe never.
Thanks for keeping it real.
Gotta smile. Laff

Achieving begins with believing!

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:55 pm

Laff, sounds like you are really getting it - good for you! Funny how long it takes though huh? Part of the baggage us serial dieters carry with us.

You need a default meal for breakfast since so many plan B's are sweets and not very good at holding you over until lunch. I love Fiber One bars. 150 cal and stuffed with fiber. Easy to toss in your purse and go.

Also we have to be careful with foods like bran muffins, they sound so little and cute and harmless, but can loaded with calories - saw one in a vending machine that had 650 calories! You could probably get a cheese burger for that amount of calories and at least it would hold you until lunch.

Although your question was not silly or dumb in any way at all, it did somehow remind me of the "Taco Salad Lady" (AKA TSL) that was at my Weight Watcher meetings 4 diets ago. She would bring up the subject of taco salads every friggin week. She was obsessed with them. The problem was that in our little guide book it listed taco salads as having X amount of points, which is lame because they can be made a zillion different ways. But it was as if she wanted us to tell her it just fine to call it X amount of points (some crazy low number). I had to bite my tongue from screaming "Well, gee lady if you eat this salad in a deep fried 800 calorie tortilla shell, smear on 1 cup of sour cream and see how much fatty hamburger meat and cheddar cheese you can pile on, it just might be a smidge over the books estimated amount of points"! This woman had a serious case of denial. I should know I've been there too. Nothing like the TSL, but I have let the occasion "bran muffin" fool me.

The point of that story is to remind all of us that if we get rid of the denial we will probably find a lot of common sense hiding underneath it.
Dawn

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:15 am

On the other hand....food is just food. If a bran muffin will satisfy you, and not trigger you, you can enjoy it. (Do be wary since some places like Panera have such horribly high fat, high calorie muffins that no one should eat them, ever! :shock: )

But in general with No S, you can have most foods, and just move on to the next meal. I would think that a bran muffin with a glass of milk and some fruit on the side would be very filling and satisfying!

I do like the idea of baking stuff at home, so you know what is in it!