Started on a S-day

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

sbay301

Started on a S-day

Post by sbay301 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:41 pm

This is my first post as I just ran across No S last week.

Immediately, the concept struck me as the solution to my overeating. I know I was overeating, but didn’t know what measures to take to stop and didn’t recognize that is was a habit.

My decision to start on a s-day, more particularly on Saturday was psychological.

How many times have I begun a “program†on Monday? Tons! And though there are many practical reasons to do so, I found that by Wednesday I was off the “programâ€. Yes, I have low tolerance for deprivation when it comes to food.

Thus, I reasoned if I began on the weekend, especially a s-day my chances for success would increase.

Tomorrow will be the end of my first week or my start of my second week.

Results: Saturday I gave myself permission to eat whatever since it was a s-day but I found I didn’t eat crazily. I spent an hour in the grocery store trying to decide what treat would satisfy me. Yes, I had sweets (my particular weakness). I ate cookie dough; I had 3 baked cookies and the last slice of cake. Some of you will say that is a lot of sweets, and yes for some it is. But for me that is tame.

Saturday was a success for me. Besides my treats I did stick to No S by having 3 regular meals (eating 3 meals is another problem for me).

The remainder of the week went smoothly. No, I didn’t say easily – just smoothly. I did a ton of self-talk to prevent myself from eating outside of the bounds of No S.

When I wanted sweets I added whatever I had a hankering for to a list called S-day that I put in my day planner for Saturday. The list has all the usual suspects: milk chocolate, peanut butter, cake, cookies, m&m’s, pancakes, s’mores, Reese peanut butter cups, KitKat bars, etc.

As I review my list in anticipation for tomorrow I am struck that some of the items simply don’t “call†me. Yes, I wanted them at time, but not now and probably not tomorrow either.

Light bulb moment: I can delay gratification. Intellectually I understand that and in fact when it comes to spending money I typically always delay gratification.

So, why in the past couldn’t I apply how I spend money or how I don’t spend money to how I do or don’t eat? Beats me! Maybe it’s the whole low tolerance for deprivation when it comes to food issue.

Do I think I will be a success on this program? Yes, I believe I will (what you believe, remember, you can achieve). Will it be easy? I hope not! I hope it’s a hard won victory.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I look forward to getting to know everyone in my journey of No S.
Sandy

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:53 pm

Welcome to No-S, Sandy! I look forward to reading more about your journey. Good luck and keep posting!
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:48 pm

Sandy,

Your post has so many great insights!
Yes, I had sweets (my particular weakness). I ate cookie dough; I had 3 baked cookies and the last slice of cake. Some of you will say that is a lot of sweets, and yes for some it is. But for me that is tame.
Yes I know that some people think my portions/amount of sweets might be too much on S days but for me I know just how tame they really are and that is all that matters to me.
The remainder of the week went smoothly. No, I didn’t say easily – just smoothly. I did a ton of self-talk to prevent myself from eating outside of the bounds of No S.
I like how you contrast smoothly and easily. I too have found positve, supportive, encouraging self talk to be a great tool in helping me stay within the bound of No S
When I wanted sweets I added whatever I had a hankering for to a list called S-day that I put in my day planner for Saturday. The list has all the usual suspects: milk chocolate, peanut butter, cake, cookies, m&m’s, pancakes, s’mores, Reese peanut butter cups, KitKat bars, etc.
I have a similar list, over time things get added and other things fall off, somethings are standard and ritualized like my walk to the donut shop and Starbucks on Saturday and Sunday mornings with my husband for our donuts and chai tea latte. It is more satisfying to eat treats that I want rather than random whatever just cause I "can"
Light bulb moment: I can delay gratification.
"delaying gratification" always makes me think of the experiment with the kids where they were left in room with marshmellows or other such stuff and a hidden camera. I think they were told if they waited they could have two rather than one or something like that. Some of the kids waited - delayed gratification and some of the kids just couldn't resist.

Before No S I was just one of those kids who couldn't resist and now I get to thoroughly enjoy my S day treats BECAUSE I waited!

WELCOME!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:46 am

Welcome to No S, and great job on your first week! I find that some weeks I get a certain treat in mind for the weekend, then that is what I have. Other times, something goes on my "I want that" mental list, but I might not get around to having it for 2 or 3 weekends. This is a HUGE change from how I used to eat sweets and treats!

And yes, the treats sure taste better now! I think that instead of mindlessly stuffing them down, I pick and choose and really enjoy them. I'm eating so much less, and enjoying it so much more. (This goes for treats AND everyday foods, too!