Will this diet work for someone who needs to lose 5-10 lbs?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ou812

Will this diet work for someone who needs to lose 5-10 lbs?

Post by ou812 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:18 am

I came across the comment that this diet is not for someone who needs to lose 5 lbs on a Amazon review. What do you think?

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:50 am

I think that, over time, your body will find the weight it was meant to be.

It will not be fast.
It may not the the "number" you have in your mind.

I realized in another thread that my ideal weight has always been 5 pounds lighter than I am, no matter what my weight happened to be. Even when it was at its lowest point.

So, I am no longer paying attention to the scale. I think I may be dropping a bit, but I am really trying to cultivate just a mild curiosity about where I'll end up over time.

It has ceased to matter because there's so much other value in No-S. I am no longer desperate all the time, trying to balance my desire to maintain weight against my urges to eat. I no longer indulge in emotional eating. Maintenance is easy... And my relationship with food has totally changed. I used to maintain through an "armed truce" with food. Now, I actually enjoy what I eat.

I am learning to trust that if I have good habits in place, my body will figure out where it needs to be.

All of this is probably not the answer you want to hear. :) So, I'll break it out a little differently:

Yes, you can lose small amounts of weight on No-S. But it probably won't be as fast as you're used to with other diets.
However, it also won't come BACk as fast either - nor will you struggle to maintain.
And in the process, you may lose some "emotional/mental baggage" that is even more important than the weight.

I hope that helps.

angelka71

Post by angelka71 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:23 am

Yes, you can lose 5-10lbs on No S. But like KCCC said, it'll take longer than you're hoping for.

To tell you the truth, I've got about 10-15lbs to lose and I had read those same reviews you did before starting the diet. But once I got started, I realized how much less food I was eating than before and that was very encouraging.

The very nature of No S is losing slowly b/c I think it takes a while to really get the hang of it (for example, alot of people really load up their plates in the beginning.).

For those of us that don't have as much to lose, I think exercise is critical!

The important thing is to stay away from the scale while you're getting your new habits down.

kbits

Post by kbits » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:31 am

I just lost 8 lbs in 3 somethings weeks doing No s

*shrugs*

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:17 pm

I agree with KCCC and angelka71 -- yes, it will work for someone with 5-10 pounds to lose, but it's not going to happen quickly. However, following the No-S habits might keep you from having to lose those 5-10 pounds over and over again.

I also think that we have an idea in our heads of what our "ideal weight" is, which might be entirely different from what our body thinks our ideal weight is. I think it's wise to pay attention to our body.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:03 pm

I have lost 9.4 pounds in ninety days, from 134.6 to 125.2... I am 45 year old 5"3" female. I suspect at most I have about 6 pounds to lose, although I am not sure becaue I have a bodyfat goal rather than a weight goal and it depends on whether or not I gain more muscle. MY original projected goal by my trainer was 124.5. pounds at 20% bodyfat. SO if I gain more muscle, my ending weight will need to be higher to meet my my goals and I may have less than 1 net pound to lose :D COOL 8)

I suspect that this all will happen, although it will probably take a few more months, maybe many more. I am not really concerned because I like my lifestyle so much right now and am ENJOYING food and eating more than ever.

Personally, I like the slower weight loss on NO S. I am not sure why. I just like it.

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:29 pm

No-s will "work" if you currently overeat.

If you don't, if you already eat moderately, then it won't do anything except merely increase your enjoyment of food and ensure that you don't slip into overeating in the future. Not too terrible, I think, but perhaps not what you're looking for.

No-s isn't about hitting some arbitrary goal, but about taking concrete steps to eating moderately. The idea is to focus on behavior rather than results. Eat and move moderately, see what happens. My guess is you'll be very happy, both with the results than unfold, and (more importantly) with the process of getting (and staying) there.

Reinhard

telltalemikey

Post by telltalemikey » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:05 pm

i think the advice you got is pretty right on. i'm fairly new here and i have about 5-10lbs. to lose. i have recently lost about 60, so these last few are going pretty slow anyways. i joined no s to get control of my eating, have a better relationship w/ food, form good habits, and set up a good base for maintaining my weight after the loss. if you find yourself in a similar case you will greatly benefit from this 'diet'. what's also cool about no s, is you can do it in conjunction with another diet. so if you are looking to use a diet that will help you drop just 5 or so pounds a little faster you can do it AND no s, with some creativity. calorie counting is probably the easiest. and it's basic math- eat less, exercise more. you WILL lose weight. good luck >'-'<
AMOR VINCIT OMNIA....LOVE CONQUERS ALL
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨
(¸.•´ (¸.•´MIKEY

irish

Post by irish » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:53 pm

I agree with what everyone else has said. My starting weight was 128.5 and last Fri. I weighed 124.5, so I am very happy with that, especially since I had some very wild eating weekends. But the program really does change your attitude toward food. Right now I'm starting to eat more healthily than ever before, and I feel great. Not only is no s wonderful, but the support of everyone is so encouraging. So stick with it - it's the best diet you'll ever find.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:47 am

hey irish,

you have gotten some great results :wink:

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:12 am

Someone above mentioned "the bodyweight you're suppsoed to be." I know that I can really "dig in hard" to get to 173/172, but I usually bounce right back to 180-185. Just seems to be where I naturally stay.

O43
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79