An unexpected side effect

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

JillyBean

An unexpected side effect

Post by JillyBean » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:35 pm

As I was going for my walk today it dawned on me that I seem to have let go of another bad habit without even realizing it. I wonder if there is a connection, or if it's just coincidence. If the connection is about putting things in my mouth or (more likely NOT putting things in my mouth), that I am happier or busier or less nervous or what??
I wonder if the connection is that I am just healthier because of changes in my food choices.

I don't know if it's any of the above, and I suspect it has to do a little bit with all of the above, but ...
I have stopped biting my fingernails!

Anybody else notice anything strange like that?
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:48 am

Jill,
that is kind of incredible!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:15 am

Cool! :)

Most of the "side effects" I notice are foods hanging around longer than it used to... and once, I got to ask my husband "where are the candies we had?" and HE had to confess to eating them all - a nice reversal, that amused me greatly.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:23 am

Initially, on NoS, I deliberately switched to decaf coffee, but upped my tea intake. Now I find that my tea drinking has reduced without me thinking about it (which means my caffeine intake has gone down). And, I've stopped having milky decafs in the morning before I leave for work - that wasn't deliberate - just happened. I like it...:)

flipturn

Post by flipturn » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:40 pm

Good for you, Jill! As a long-term nail-biter, I know how hard it is to stop the habit. I don't think that I have changed anything else, but, as several people have noted, my dentist was delighted with the condition of my gums. I do think long and hard before I take my wallet out of my pocket, but I am not sure whether to thank Reinhard or $4.00+ gasoline and the trickle-down effects that it is having on all our lives.

Mistress Manners

Post by Mistress Manners » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:07 pm

Only on day 3 here, but so far I've noticed that I'm eating a much bigger variety of foods, and that I'm eating more fruit and veggies as well. Once a sandwich is on your plate, it just looks wrong to put other random crap on there. It sort of invites a banana or some edamame or something. Because I know I only get 3 chances a day, I really focus on what goes on my plate. This morning, instead of cereal, I had toast, yogurt and fresh mango. Yum! A good replacement for my french toast and syrup of yore.

Also, and I know this won't float everyone's boat, I say a blessing before meals. (I've been doing this for awhile) It helps me focus on the fact that I'm about to eat, consider what I've chosen for my plate (I'm Jewish, and there are different blessings depending on what kind of food you are about to eat), and be grateful for the meal.

Great to be here. This rocks.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:33 pm

Once a sandwich is on your plate, it just looks wrong to put other random crap on there.
Mistress Manners,

Said very well!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey