Brown sugar on my oatmeal?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Mistress Manners

Brown sugar on my oatmeal?

Post by Mistress Manners » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:57 pm

Hey there. I'm new (4 days of success!). I was reading the book last night and saw the section where Reinhard said to add your own sugar to yogurt, cereal, etc. Does this mean I can have oatmeal with brown sugar I add myself on N days? If so, woo hoo. On one hand, it's really not much. Is it more like sugar in your coffee (allowed) or syrup with French toast (not)? I really like oatmeal, and it sticks with me through lunch. But I like it best with some brown sugar.

What do you all do?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:12 pm

Yes, you can add sugar to your oatmeal. It's totally fine.

When you "Bring Your Own Sugar" (BYOS), you force yourself to see how much you're consuming, and that sight is enough to keep you in line. No one is going to spoon even half as much sugar over their oatmeal as goes into a can of coke without feeling like an utter and complete bozo.

The reason I think French toast (etc) with syrup is in a different category than oatmeal, or jam on toast, or sugar in coffee, is:

1) it just seems more desserty. A boundary is being smudged. One thing leads to another.

2) it's remarkably easy to pour on shocking amounts of syrup (who uses a spoon?).

Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff. I prefer to enjoy mine on S-days when I can do so wholeheartedly and without nagging doubts.

Reinhard

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:08 pm

One of my favorite ways to eat oatmeal is with a pat of butter, brown sugar and almonds with fruit on the side.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

abelincoln

Post by abelincoln » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:54 pm

Is there "something" i can put on waffles on an N day...

My wife has been planning waffles for dinner..

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:14 pm

Fresh fruit? Some Greek yoghurt? A bit of sugar and lemon juice?

abelincoln

Post by abelincoln » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:17 pm

for all I didn't notice there's a good thread on this

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... light=byos

I will try your suggestions

another idea butter/powdered sugar? in accordance with BYOS
Last edited by abelincoln on Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:24 pm

I just like Greek yoghurt for the texture and I find it very satisfying. I'm sure someone has done a bunch of studies on the healthiest kind of natural yoghurt, but I've not read them :) Any yoghurt that doesn't have added sugar / taste like a sweet would be fine.

la tortue

Post by la tortue » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:48 am

bigmac wrote:Is there "something" i can put on waffles on an N day...
unsweetened applesauce is good

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:29 am

Greek yogurt is thicker. It's been strained, I think, and its protein content per serving is higher. Some people think that's "better," but I don't think it's why the Greeks eat it and the French don't. It's just a taste/texture preference.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

heatherhikes

Post by heatherhikes » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:38 pm

airmail wrote:
bigmac wrote:Is there "something" i can put on waffles on an N day...
unsweetened applesauce is good
I like French toast, waffles and potato pancakes with unsweetend apple sauce and lots of cinnamon; I also like them with warm fruit compote - yummy! Apple-mango (-apricot) sauce is also a delicious topping.
hh
The more forgiving and compassionate you are to yourself while you learn, the better. Berating oneself has been shown to reinforce the behavior you wish to change. Ironic, no? But it's good news! We don't have to be mean to ourselves to win - oolala