Diet Mentality

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

3aday

Diet Mentality

Post by 3aday » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:45 am

OK, soooooo I tried to keep a daily check in last week.
That lasted 3 days and I deleted my posts.
The beauty of No S is that I no longer journal food like I used to when I first started a few years ago.
When I finally made the conscious decision to make No S my lifestyle, I finally stopped journaling, weighing and measuring food, weighing myself, and labeling food as good or bad.
The 3 days I journaled I was very conscious that I drank more coffee some days and ate stuff like cheeseburger and fries...
I wrote why I justified that...
BUT, then I realized, despite emotional upheaval last week, I still stuck to no snacks, no sweets, no seconds even if I ate cheeseburger and fries.
I began thinking, you know, some days I drink more stuff, some days I don't.
Some days are more junky, some days are super healthy.
I have healthy weeks and sometimes unhealthy months.
But, I always enjoy my food good or bad!
It all balances out.
With No S, I no longer justify my choices. What freedom!
I was going to post the food to show my parents it's not what you eat but when you eat but I realized, my physical and emotional changes are more of a testimony of No S than what I eat.
Part of my emotional wellness when I finally decided to stick to three meals was respecting my desires and cravings (within No S guidelines) and what works for me, may not work for others, including my parents.
So, No S has brought me great freedom from the diet mentality that I used to live by and my prayer is for everyone on this board is that you find that freedom too.
It's been a long journey for me and I have peace and balance with food and eating...my wish is that everyone finds that peace too...

I've posted that it took me about a year and half to jump on board and then one day it clicked for me. Someone sent me a picture last week of my mom and me from several years ago and my husband was like "wow, you are so much smaller nowl". That was music to my ears and proof enough for me that when you take the urgency away from losing weight, everything falls into place.

Reinhard wrote forget about days and weeks and thinks out months and years (or something like that)....I am proud to say I am living testimony of that and I am forever grateful!

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:58 am

What a wonderful post 3!

Thanks for the inspiration! :D

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:13 pm

Loved this post, 3aday!! Thanks for sharing.
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:55 pm

:)

Sounds like you are doing GREAT!

I do journal, but partly because it's so EASY compared to when I used to do it. I can actually remember 3 meals a day! Plus, I like keeping a record of menus for those "what shall we have to eat this week?" brain-dead moments.

It is nice not to feel obliged to do it. I sometimes skip, and don't care. And it's so nice to feel that the plan just works, even with ups and downs in terms of what's on the plate.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:06 pm

3aday,

I appreciate your post as well.

I do write down what I eat as a link for people who find my blog and are curious, but i don't put in volumes etc,

don't want anyone jumping on there and tabulating my calories hahahhahahahahha :D

but sometimes i wonder will i keep it up for the "altruistic" purpose or ditch it altogether,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:22 pm

I love your blog!
Plus, I get meal ideas from it!
And, I send friends to view your blog too!

I used to food journal all the time....I just really wanted to share how many changes one goes through in regards to the No S experience....

I also wanted to make a point that one person's No S is very different from another person's No S.

I sent a friend who just recently started intuitive eating to check out this site.
She called me and said she thought No S was a plan where you don't weigh and measure or restrict foods or weigh yourself. I assured her it wasn't and that it wasn't a requirement. I also told her that No S was very compatible with intuitive eating. I also explained that when I first started No S in 2006 I weighed and measured, weighed myself daily, and restricted foods/calories and that you can change....you can take the slow route and give up those things if you want and it still works. It's just slow.
:) Plus, many of us start No S after years of counting or restricting, etc and it's a hard habit to give up even if you want to.

I am not in any way knocking how others approach No S (I respect everyone's choices) but I want to show others that you don't have to do any of those things for it to work. Vanilla No S works. In fact, when I buckled down and got strict with the literal rules of the No S diet and kept to my meals, after a few months, I started to get smaller.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:58 am

I also explained that when I first started No S in 2006 I weighed and measured, weighed myself daily, and restricted foods/calories and that you can change....you can take the slow route and give up those things if you want and it still works. It's just slow.
3aday,

the story of your transformation is very inspiring! that is amazing that you have really gone through so many changes on this. I LOVE IT!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

CatholicCajun

Post by CatholicCajun » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:31 pm

3aday, thanks for sharing your insights with us. You are right, you have to do what works for YOU and no one else but YOU. God BLess you with success.
Je'sus, j'Ai Confiance dans Vous

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:33 pm

Thank you for the very encouraging post. And congrats at being visibly smaller! Woo hoo! :D