New person with questions

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Red Meg

New person with questions

Post by Red Meg » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:15 am

Hey everybody.

This sounds like exactly what I need. Here's hoping. I've realized for a long time that as much as anything, I need to learn how to say "no" to myself and learn to toughen up a bit. Not just food, although that's part of it, but also just things like wasting time on fun stuff like reading and the computer when I haven't gotten a proportionate amount of real work done.

Question 1: I just heard about this yesterday, so tomorrow is my first No-S day. Cool. I tend towards frosted mini-wheats in the morning for breakfast. Is that a sweet?

Question 2: This Friday is July 4th. Given my hopeless lack of willpower, I think it would be better for me to plan on making Friday an S day-- it is always a big family celebration around here. Does that seem reasonable? I'm concerned that trying to tough it out for the 5th day when it's a holiday will just sabotage everything and make me inclined to quit.

Many thanks,

Margaret

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:23 am

Margaret,

by all means July 4th is a national holiday, take an NWS day (non weekend special day) and ENJOY!

also as far as frosted mini wheats? that may be borderline, i.e may be fine for you but not someone else. would you eat that for dessert? if the answer is yes, leave it for S days, if the answer is No then could be Ok,

I highly recommend reading the book if you have the chance, it is so helpful,

WELCOME!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

CatholicCajun

Post by CatholicCajun » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:28 pm

Bienvenu! I agree with Blue, read the book. I had to give up sweet creals for breakfast, I used to eat 1/2 cup of fiber one with 1 cup sweet cereal and it was too much sugar. Please feel free to post as many questions as you need to help you. Take Friday as a S-day, most of us here probably will. God bless.
Je'sus, j'Ai Confiance dans Vous

eljay

Post by eljay » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:08 pm

You could also try a box of plain mini wheats, and add your own sugar. That way, as Reinhard points out, you know and can see whether the amount you add is excessive or reasonable.

Mistress Manners

Post by Mistress Manners » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:57 pm

I wouldn't count frosted mini wheats as a Sweet. (Now Froot Loops, on the other hand . . . ).

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:00 pm

Welcome, Red!

You make the call about particular foods. Everyone draws the line in different places.

But I personally would consider anything with the word "sugar" (or a euphemism for sugar) in the product description to be a pretty unambiguous sweet.

If you don't want to mix your own sugar in, and you're looking for a breakfast cereal that is kinda sorta similar to Frosted mini wheats, tastes somewhat sweet but with much less sugar, and equally loaded with fiber, try Puffins.

If you're a fellow American it's your patriotic duty to make July 4th an S-day! Relax and enjoy.

Reinhard

Mistress Manners

Post by Mistress Manners » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:27 pm

GoLean Crunch is also great -- lots of protein and fiber, and lots of crunch. It'll satisfy your sweet craving, but the protein will take you through till lunch.

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:11 pm

Can't stress enough - get the book and read and re-read it.

I rarely take S days outside of weekends, as a matter of fact in 5 months I have only had maybe 2 total. But I will take the 4th as one since I will be having guest over. I will enjoy it and I won't feel the least bit guilty. Guilt isn't a part of my life anymore - well, as far as food goes.

As for your Frosted Mini's, I wouldn't worry about it at all right now. Once you have some time under your belt and are feeling good about your new habits that's when you might want to look to make some healthier changes. You know, less sugar, higher fiber etc. That's what I did and then I finally started to see the weight go down. Healthier usually means less calories - not all the time, but I found it to be true a lot of the time.

Good luck and remember patience, patience, patience. You want this to be a life long change so what if it takes a while!
Dawn

resting52

Post by resting52 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:28 pm

Hey Meg,

Welcome.

You will be amazed how all of the things you say you want to happen, WILL happen. I would never have imagined how life changing NoS would be-in so many areas of my life.

Enjoy the ride.

Resting

Red Meg

Post by Red Meg » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:15 am

Thanks for the feedback, everybody.

I have to say, if I'd known the way today was going to be schedule-wise, I would not have tried to start today.

Breakfast was fine. I was a little worried about the mini-wheats, and relative lack of protein, and getting through till noon without getting cranky or light-headed. That part was actually fine.

The problem started when I went to give blood at 11:45. And sat and sat and sat in the waiting room despite having an appointment. Apparently they pulled off the page I'd signed in on without noticing my signature on the bottom line... So I wasn't actually done giving blood until 1:40. By that point I was ready to chew my arm off. Lunch ended up being the pastries and cookies in the recovery room. I know, I know-- sweets. But I really didn't feel I could drive home safely without eating, so I just said, "lunch time!" and went on with life.

Then, late afternoon to early evening, I was roasting a really big turkey for the homeless shelter my parish is hosting. I really did need to take one "test" taste, legitimately, but then let that turn into more than a taste. :roll: Dropping off the turkey was followed by more chaos dealing with Boy Scout paperwork. So I finally just got down a cold buger and called in dinner.

Lessons from today: protein helps. I think the lunch of pastries kind of cemented that for me. Also, checking the schedule more closely, and being a little more protective of designated mealtimes would go a long way. That being said, I found it less difficult than I expected to skip snacking (turkey notwithstanding.) I think I can do this.

Thanks again,

Margaret

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:58 pm

Meg, it sounds like today was a really useful learning experience, and you're wise enough to see it that way. What a GREAT start!

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:31 pm

For your consideration, I take days when I give blood as S-days. I'm not prepared to sacrifice safety for weight loss. There are a couple of threads regarding this on the board. Somewhere.

Your cereal sounds S-ish to me, but then I often pour honey on my oh-so-very-healthy wholegrain cereal and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Oh, and I'm taking Friday as an S-day and I'm English...
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.