Jet lag

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Betty

Jet lag

Post by Betty » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:39 pm

Does anyone have any jet lag tips? I wake up at 3 am and am STARVING. I just can't seem to wait till 7 o'clock for my regular breakfast time. And the sleep deprivation makes me feel all snacky too. I have found it impossible to be strict about not snacking in the past two days.

Betty

flipturn

Post by flipturn » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:17 pm

Jet lag is tough, and I feel for you. I don't have any suggestions on how to get through those hunger pangs but they will pass within a few days.

la_loser

Jet Lag assistance--hydration

Post by la_loser » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:45 pm

Betty (For those who check these posts often, this suggestion will sound like a broken record. . .but since, I'm assuming, Betty's been out of the loop since she's got jet lag!). . . so here goes anyway (if you're one of the people who have already checked this out--sorry!) , this might be a part of a solution; I've read that one of the contributing factors causing jet lag is the dryness of the air in the cabin. It's been suggested that passengers are often dehydrated.

Therefore, it would seem that making sure you replenish your liquids might help you. And drinking water with a little extra "oomph" might really help. The small amount of orange juice will give you enough of a boost to fend off those snack urges. Here is the topic post that I added a couple of weeks ago; you may or may not have seen it since you've obviously been away--thus the jet lag!

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... highlight=

I know for me that I've had some H2Orange (grape flavored) before I went to bed last night. It quieted my thoughts of having a bit of the ice cream my grown kids were having . . .then when I woke up this morning, I had a nice big glass prior to my breakfast. I knew I'd be having lunch a little later today so I wanted to postpone breakfast as well. The H2Orange did the trick. And it's so tasty! I put some made with Crystal Light Peach Tea into several "water bottles" and froze them to carry in the car while I'm doing errands; it melts enough in this hot weather to drink and also stay cold. (Better than stopping for an Icee or worse!)

That and time could get you through! Good luck!

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:11 pm

On short trips across just a zone or two, I sometimes keep my "home hours." But it sounds as if you have a big time-change?

I second drinking - milk if you can get it, juice if you can't - as a first-line of defense.

After that... just do your best, and don't make yourself crazy. :)

Dorri732

Post by Dorri732 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:18 pm

I recently read that you can trick your body out of jetlag by fasting for around 16 hours prior to sleeping in the new time zone. Apparently when you are hungry your body shifts its internal clock from day/night to a meal based clock.

Here's a link.
Interested in automotive commentary?

If it's got an engine . . .

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:01 pm

I only suffer from jetlag when I go back to my country, all the way down to the bottom of the southern hemisphere.
I don't have any problems foodwise, but my sleeping habits do suffer horribly.
Anyway, I drink a lot during both flights, I keep one of the glasses they give you in the beginning of the flight and every time the stewardess passes by, I ask for water, every single time, maybe that is what keeps me from being hungry once I arrive to destination, just like Laloser suggests.

Betty

Post by Betty » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:06 pm

Yeah, it's funny. Sleep is mostly normal now, but all my body functions (when I'm warm or cold, when I have to pee, when I'm hungry) are struggling to catch up.

Milk. It does a body good. :)

ou812

Post by ou812 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:11 am

This is very timely. My wife just returned from China. I will pass these tips on to her. I remember the feeling of waking at 3 am and then eating out of boredom. Definitely drink more water.