Let Freedom Ring!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

la_loser

Let Freedom Ring!

Post by la_loser » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:59 pm

Let Freedom Ring!
It occurred to me as I replied to another post that celebrating Independence Day will be particularly special for me this year. (Note: this will not mean as much to those outside the USA, but hopefully you’ll get the point anyway!) I’ve found a new freedom—from worrying about my diet/or staying on a prescribed diet that is impossible to maintain.
For the first time in years, I will enjoy our annual celebration with no guilt—because I’ve done so well on my N days in recent weeks and I know the 4th of July will be a NWS day
Quoting Reinhard a couple of days ago. . . If you're a fellow American it's your patriotic duty to make July 4th an S-day! Relax and enjoy.
I plan to follow his advice! (I will however remember “to not be an idiotâ€-- like Reinhard says about S days!)

But in addition to being “free†to celebrate the 4th because it is an “S†day, the specific reason for me to celebrate this year is that, with NoS, I have declared my independence from those “S.A.D.s†(substance accounting diets). I’ve found my freedom from all that time and energy and money spent on those umpteen different programs/books/kits/supplements, etc. that I’ve spent through the years that at best resulted in a few pounds lost, but gained back. No more worry about what to eat/when to eat/how much to eat.

It’s more clear than ever that 3 squares a day – No Sweets, No Snacks, No Seconds except (sometimes) on days that start with S. Very freeing and validating for me.

Have a se â€S†holiday weekend.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:09 pm

At least Great Britain and the monarchy were impressive masters. If our forebears couldn't tolerate even those, how on earth can we stand to be subject to a bag of cheese doodles?

Happy independence day (in both/either sense) to all,

Reinhard

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:26 pm

laloser,

I will be sharing in similar "let freedom ring" celebrations this year :D

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:32 pm

Love this post! Love our country! Love No S - and will celebrate properly this year!!! :D :D

la_loser

Let Freedom Ring. . . Again!

Post by la_loser » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:46 pm

As promised, I'm bringing this thread to the top again. Since July 4 is on a Saturday this year, it will be a "special" day anyway so hopefully no one will be fretting about whether or not to call it an "S" day. . . although it definitely would be one, even if were on a Friday or a Wednesday!

Granted, we have a lot No S-ers who live outside the United States. I hope that perhaps you will still feel like celebrating your INDEPENDENCE from all that "dieting mindset" even if you're not waving "our" red, white and blue!" After all, you still have July 4 even if it's not celebrated as the "Fourth of July!" :wink:

We are hosting our annual pre-fireworks barbeque with close to thirty friends. It will feel so good to be able to enjoy all the goodies without the guilt again this year.

So be safe (and sensible) as you enjoy whatever INDEPENDENCE you are celebrating this year! 8)
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

jenglish

Happy Independence Day

Post by jenglish » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:22 pm

Thanks LA, for bringing this thread back. What a joy to be reminded that I can really enjoy the family and frinds and participate in the festivity of food, that always accompanies our holiday celebrations, with out guilt or deprivation.

I too have a reason to celebrate a new independence and freedom, one that is sure to be a boon to my health, well being and to my spirit as well. Happy Independence Day to all!! Cool :D
This is NOT a diet, for me, it is a LIFESTYLE CHANGE

5.16.09: 210 pounds - - - 06/16/2009 : 200 pounds
1 month / 10 pounds

GOAL 140

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:44 pm

Let freedom ring !

**********ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:59 am

I couldn't have put it any better LA Loser! Well said! I feel the same way about NoS - soooooooo Let Freedom Ring!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

la_loser

Independent jewelry?!

Post by la_loser » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:11 pm

Thanks--I'm glad others feel the same.

I'm thinking maybe instead of wearing green like some you have decided to do, that I'll remember everytime I wear my little flag or my red white and blue jewelry that I'm got double independence to celebrate! I just remembered I have a really cute patriotic bracelet that will suit the bill perfectly!

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:19 pm

See there! Perfect, LA_Loser!

Hey, Marc - cross one of those emeralds off your list! Maybe you won't have to do the heist after all!

Just picking at you LA! All in fun! Truthfully, I think it's a great idea...now to go through my jewelry again!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:50 pm

Thanks for this thread, LA Loser! It inspired me to come back and post on the forum again. I guess the idea of being free struck a chord. I like your idea of your patriotic jewelry having a double meaning. I also have a cute red, white and blue bracelet that I usually wear around holidays. I'll be wearing it every day for awhile, I think. :D It will remind me to be grateful for my freedom...in more ways than one.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:35 pm

Wow! I'm still in on the emerald ring... but now I need red white and blue too! I think I'll too go look at my jewelry... I know I lost my flag pin. :cry:
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

la_loser

Drumroll, please. . .

Post by la_loser » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:35 pm

Drumroll please. . . break out the fireworks, crank up the music (and the ice cream freezer!) and get ready to begin your own declaration of independence--no matter what you're freeing yourself from!

Now I'm off to prepare my hubby's very favorite potato salad. (Yes, I have managed to replicate his mother's! The secret was including olive oil!) It's best when it's made at least 24 hours in advance.

Here's to a safe and sane celebration for everyone!

la_loser

Celebrate YOUR independence!

Post by la_loser » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:06 pm

Once again, I'm bringing this thread to the top again since it IS that time. What a rush to know I can, without guilt, celebrate this 4th of July with family and friends at the annual bash we host. And I know I can get right back to my habit on Monday--because it IS a habit. As a matter of fact, part of the habit is to remember to celebrate those Special Days too.

Since I began this thread two years ago, each year, it has become more meaningful.

So my challenge to all of you this week no matter your country of origin, again, is to celebrate your INDEPENDENCE from crazy impossible diets, guilt, self deprivation, obsessive scale-stepping.

And certainly for those of us who do proudly wave the
red, white and blue, we have plenty to celebrate this weekend on our country's 234th birthday!

Let the celebration begin-and bring on the bison burgers, brats and potato salad-and new this year, the S'mores Silky Pie!

Link to S'mores Pie--scroll down the article to find it among other goodies to reserve for S days!
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37764672/ ... e/#slice-2
Last edited by la_loser on Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:25 pm

I'm making these s'mores cupcakes! I love the Fourth of July! I'm prepared with my MADE IN THE USA pregnancy shirt lol.

http://cupcakestakethecake.blogspot.com ... cious.html
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

la_loser

Freedom with friends and family!

Post by la_loser » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:34 pm

Our day is turning out to be really rainy-but we're going to celebrate that independence just the same-with or without that walk to the park for major fireworks tonight!

I am SOOOO grateful that even it wasn't Sunday, I'd STILL be able to call this an S day!

Enjoy, everyone!

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:20 pm

Happy 4th. I've never seen this thread. Makes my happy to read it. Thank you for bumping it
Denise
Denise
restart No S on 4/1 at 132#
goal is 120-123# doing vanilla NoS with Eat Stop Eat on Monday.

la_loser

Independence day--going going gone.

Post by la_loser » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:43 am

Glad you enjoyed it--I enjoyed our day to the fullest-although it has poured rain all day, it let up enough for the fireworks at the nearby park to go on. And we live in a community of nearly 50,000 where it is actually legal to buy fireworks AND legal to shoot them off in your front yard or driveway or wherever from July 1-4 every year. Crazy-my pyro spouse and son thought we'd moved to paradise the first 4th of July we lived here. :)

And it's so nice not to feel one bit of "oh, I shouldn't" about those goodies we had today. Oh, my-a friend brought homemade pie made from currants and apples from her yard and currant ice cream; my husband made homemade peach ice cream plus that S'mores pie which was so sweet you just couldn't eat much of it anyway!

Alas, tomorrow's an N day--and that's ok by me-those leftover brats and potato salad will make some nice one plate meals this week.

Hope everyone's day was a safe and fun one.

la_loser

Celebrate YOUR Independence with the Freedom of NO S!

Post by la_loser » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:59 pm

I first posted this in 2008 and today when I saw the word "liberated" on someone's post, it occurred to me that I need to do my annual "bring it back to the top of the board" trick.

So everyone-in the USA and around the world (how cool is it that this board spans the globe!), we can all celebrate our freedom from food obsession and counting calories or carbs or points or whatever. Liberating indeed!

I'm thinking we'll break out our new Cuisenart Ice Cream maker (really easy and less of a mess than the old electric one you have to pack with ice and salt) and maybe make some tasty peach ice cream. Luckily it doesn't make a huge amount so temptation is limited!

So if you have the time, go up and read through this whole thread-it's kind of inspiring, even if I did start it myself!

Happy birthday, Uncle Sam!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:15 pm

Thanks, LA Loser. Somewhere out there there's a piece of apple pie with my name on it.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

Rea

Post by Rea » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:15 pm

Well I wasnt going to have Independence day be an S day for me since I did soooo awful last week, but darn it! you've convinced me!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:38 pm

Not taking an S day on a day that is very appropriate it for it just because you haven't been doing well is not a very successful tactic in the long run, so I'm glad you abandoned it.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)