Bad day at the office

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

anovelgirl

Bad day at the office

Post by anovelgirl » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:06 pm

This week has been "one of those days" - and it's only Wednesday. :roll:

I can't recall a time when I've craved sodas, fast food and other junk so badly, as I have this week. Despite being perfect on my NoS, I still want to just eat something. Snack, munch, work my jaws into a frenzy. Out of nervousness, fatigue, wild energy, moods screaming between total upset and ridiculous despair.

Nothing major, just several things all piled up at once. Throw in a couple of close friends' horrific accidents, and it just seems like Mt Rushmore has descended on my small part of the universe.

I've resisted the urge to snack by staying away from food. Life has to slow down soon. And, for the first time ever, since I don't want to turn to food for comfort, I've actually resorted to trying to breath out my frustration. Physically. It's enough to make one burst out laughing, but it does the trick.

I just want to separate the emotion from the foundation, you know? Bad days happen - even bad weeks. But I don't want to carry the baggage, when in a month, this time will most likely already be forgotten....and I'll still be here. In better, or worse, shape.

I'm trying for better.

(Sorry for the vent! :x)

fkwan

Re: Bad day at the office

Post by fkwan » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:45 pm

anovelgirl wrote: I've actually resorted to trying to breath out my frustration. Physically. It's enough to make one burst out laughing, but it does the trick.
Fancy pants people call that meditation, and it actually works. :) ((hug))

I deeply, deeply sympathize. I thought I had this thing licked but in the face of monumental depression I WANT CHOCOLATE MORE THAN ANYTHING ON EARTH, AND AFTER THAT I WANT BROWN SUGAR AND PRALINES ON MY BLASTED, NON VEGAN ICE CREAM,

and I thought about them all night long.

Pumping iron also works well in the getting rid of frustration department.

f
One must know his limitations. -- John Milius
Beginning weight: 115
Currently: Haven't a clue

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:09 am

There are so many cliches that address life in stormy times... without food as a crutch, we have to learn to face the storm.

Breathing is a good technique. Others include journaling, exercising, or talking to friends. And, as you suggest, just waiting it all out...

I journal (3 pages a day), and I read my old journals as I put them away. (Each journal takes about 3 months to fill.) I can't tell how many times I have looked at a passage in amazement because I can tell it was full of angst-of-the-moment... and I had totally forgotten about it since then. I am trying to learn to get that perspective while still in-the-moment.

You have such a good point about "this will pass, and I'll still be here, in better or worse shape." If you're findings ways to cope other than food, I'm betting on "better."

Good luck!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:35 am

Nothing major, just several things all piled up at once.
that has been my biggest trigger for binging in the past, when things all piled up at once. you are so aware and your ACTIONS are totally different, I suspect, than what they would have been before,

you are REALLY BUILDING HABIT,

this is great, not all the things piling up, but that you are growing through using food to deal with them,

YAY YOU :D

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Betty

Post by Betty » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:13 pm

Stay strong, novel girl. You're doing great.

Keep breathing and know that we all wish you the very best.

Betty

anovelgirl

Post by anovelgirl » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:40 pm

Thanks, one and all! :D

Didn't have time to check for replies after my post - the holiday weekend just kinda exploded all at once. I kept at it, however, and was a bit dismayed to sneak on the scale and see not much of a difference...but Im in this for the habit forming first, weight loss second.

Many thanks, however, for letting me whine. Those horrid things straightened themselves out (as they always do) and did so without me sabotaging myself in the process.

Almost one month on NoS, and I can feel the habits forming....yay! :wink: :wink: :wink:

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:28 am

Good for you! I think Blueskighs said it well - when you can maintain habits under stress, you're REALLY building them!

Glad to hear the stresses have passed, and you're still here. :)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:12 pm

There are three things I find especially helpful in times of stress:

1. The realization that such times aren't rare. I don't let myself pretend that stress is something exception that isn't supposed to happen, for which I can afford to just "take a break" from my routines. I face the fact that I have to handle it, that these are precisely the times for which good habits and self discipline are most necessary.

2. The realization that routine is actually a profound de-stresser. If there's chaos all around you, at least you can have this island of regularity to fall back on. It's profoundly relaxing.

3. For run of the mill work and interpersonal stresses, I imagine myself as some kind of stoic hero of self discipline. I sort of get into a role. Now there's something absurd and disproportionate about applying an ancient philosophical stance that was originally about life and death or dishonor to our (mostly) safe and mundane 21st century daily lives, but I actually find that makes it easier to get into the role because it engages my sense of humor. I don't have to worry about seeming absurd because THAT'S THE POINT. For genuinely awful things, comic stoicism obviously isn't appropriate. But I usually find such events sober me up sufficiently that I don't want to disrespect them by using them as excuses for slacking off.

Hope something here helps!

Best of luck,

Reinhard

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:34 am

I imagine myself as some kind of stoic hero of self discipline.
ahh ... long live SPARTA! :D

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:01 pm

I love your humorous approach, Reinhard - it's part of what attracted me to this site in the first place. :D