12 months in...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

JamieS.

12 months in...

Post by JamieS. » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:11 pm

... and I'm down thirty pounds from 144 to 114 pounds. I just a bought a new pair of shorts for summer- size two! (I'm 5'3 so it's not too skinny for me). I wouldn't be surpirsed if I lost a few more. This is the easiest, un-diet way of eating in the world. To all the newbies: keep it up! It's so worth it in the end.

amarbach

That is just fantatastic!

Post by amarbach » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:22 pm

Very impressive! It is a big help to those of us starting out.
Thanks for posting this.

JamieS.

Post by JamieS. » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:35 pm

I read all these posts from the new No-Sers and I remember how hard it seemed in the beginning. "What? No snacks? None? But snacks are GOOD for you! Ask anyone!" I fell off the wagon a few times but noticed how quickly it became easy to not overeat. I no longer craved sweets and no longer was tempted by every little temptation in the office. I can eat a meal and feel satisfied at the end. That's a feeling I haven't experienced with food in a long time before I discovered No-S.

My only tip for beginners would be to remember to include fiber and protein at each meal. If I eat a carb-only meal (i.e.: pasta) then it's very difficult to make it to the next meal without getting that "snacky" feeling. Also, as a former overeater, I don't usually indulge in a full-on S day. I have the "lower case S" days and am completely satisifed that way. Lastly, I usually have two or three No S days, followed by one S day. Then two or three No S days followed by an S day. (The thought of waiting five full days for an S was too hard to face at first. ) :D

The best part is I feel like a "normal" person now and no longer obsess about what to eat, how much to eat, when to eat, etc. Just normal. Yay for normal!

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:45 pm

JamieS. wrote: The best part is I feel like a "normal" person now and no longer obsess about what to eat, how much to eat, when to eat, etc. Just normal. Yay for normal!
What a great testimonial!

Well, all your post is, but I like this part especially. :)

Good for you! :)

Hungry Girl

"oldies"

Post by Hungry Girl » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:29 pm

Thanks to all the "oldies" who write in with encouragment for us "newbies!" It really helps.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:03 pm

Hi Jaime.

This is are really inspirational post. Thanks for sharing your success. You have done an amazing job. I hope you are proud of yourself.

Congrats.

gingercake

Post by gingercake » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:06 pm

That's awesome. I want to be you in 11 months. :)

CatholicCajun

Re: "oldies"

Post by CatholicCajun » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:16 pm

Hungry girl wrote:Thanks to all the "oldies" who write in with encouragment for us "newbies!" It really helps.
Amen to that!!! :)
Je'sus, j'Ai Confiance dans Vous

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:44 pm

Jamie...I'm just curious....How come you just joined the site this April if you've been doing No S for 12 months?
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

JamieS.

Post by JamieS. » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:18 pm

I had been lurking for a long time when I finally registered. :P

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:47 am

I see...were you shy? too busy? or wanting to see if it worked first?
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

JamieS.

Post by JamieS. » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:03 am

In my past experience on message boards, I noticed some people could be a little rude. I think when people are on the Internet, they feel free to say things that wouldn't be polite in real life. For that reason, I lurk on many message boards but only participate actively on a couple. I guess you could say I don't have a thick enough skin to do any heavy-duty posting. :oops: Plus, I think I can learn a lot from message boards without necessarily posting anything.

This board seems little tamer in terms of people flaming one another, though.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:27 am

Well, I'm so happy that you stepped in and posted your acheivement!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:15 am

JamieS.

Thanks so much for checking in. It is so nice to hear from someone who has doing No S a year and had such great results!

WAY TO GO!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Laff

Post by Laff » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:28 am

Way to go Jamie!! You strut your stuff in your size 2!
So proud of your accomplishment.
Gotta smile. Laff

Achieving begins with believing!

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:11 am

Well, some people are just lurkers by nature; I tend to lurk a lot beforehand, too; in some places I have never ever posted.

But, let's talk about your success!, it is particularly impressive to me, because I'm your height and I started out at 150, thinking it's going to take forever for me to be slim again and your results have put my perspective results right in front of my face in spectacular fashion!.
I'm even more pumped up than before!, thank you so much!.
And a big CONGRATULATIONS! to you, way to go!.

Nagla929

Post by Nagla929 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:28 am

JamieS, a big congratulations to you on your success, patience, and diligence. :) I have been No-S ing for 9 days now and while I believe that this diet really does speak for itself, a post like yours truely reinforces the idea that "slow and steady wins the race."

I am starting at 140 pounds and would like to get to 110, if possible. I am 5'2''.

Happy 4th, everyone.

navi

Post by navi » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:11 pm

JamieS, I noticed in another post that your S days are not always on Sat & Sun. What pattern do you use? One S on weekend & one during week?
Thanks!

JamieS.

Post by JamieS. » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:54 pm

Yes. I like to have one weekend day be an S day so we can go out to eat and I can have a dessert. The other S day usually falls in the middle of the week.

To be perfectly honest, since I never have a full-on S day (lower-case S days instead) I might sneak another lower case S day in there somewhere, too. I do this because I think it would be too hard for me to get back on the wagon after a full weekend of what for me, would be straight-up binge eating.

navi

Post by navi » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:15 pm

what is your definition of lower-case S?
Thanks again - I am trying to learn from the master ;-)

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:35 pm

Congrats! And I love that you have made some adjustments to fit your needs but are still staying within the spirit of No-S.
Dawn

JamieS.

My Lower Case S

Post by JamieS. » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:06 pm

For me, Lower Case S= a second helping at a meal OR a snack (but I'm usually not hungry for snacks any more) OR a dessert.

A full-on S day for me would be second helpings at each meal AND sweets AND a few snacks thrown in. Plus, there would some guilt, shame and anxiety thrown in for good measure. :lol:

It might set off a few bad eating days in a row so these are not worth it for me. If you can manage a full on S day without the above mentioned side effects, then I see no reason why you can't have them. It just doesn't work for me.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:54 am

Congratulations, Jamie. I really like the way you have adapted the s days. That's a clever way to make it work for you. :D

Writer110

Post by Writer110 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:35 pm

Congratulations Jamie! Thank you so much for posting. You and I are the same height so it's great to see that it's working for us shorties as well. :D I have about 10 pounds to go to my goal and it's also a nice reminder that it doesn't happen overnight- not even in a few months. I love to hear when people have been doing NoS for a long time and have had that comfortable slow, steady weight loss which really seems to be the only kind that stays off for good! It's just comforting to remember that although I'm not where I want to be now there's a great possibility that I can be there in a year!

Thanks again & CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Moxie

foxylady

Post by foxylady » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:02 pm

Hi Jamie,

Just wanted to say.......YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION ! And congrats on the loss. Isn't No s-ing wonderful? I already find that a late night snack is something that I TRULEY no longer want..... and Iv'e been at it for less than three months. Hope I can be where you are nine months from now.

Have a great No S day.
foxylady
Within your weakness, there lies your strength...... sleeping. ( Sylvia Brown's grandmother )

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:08 pm

Jamie,

Congratulations and THANK YOU for overcoming your understandable wariness of online bulletin boards to share your sustained and significant success!

Reinhard

Over43

30 pounds in a year!

Post by Over43 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:55 pm

144 to 114 in a year is excellent, and actually a rather healthy way of losing the weight 2 1/2 to 3 pounds a month is very good.

Congratulations on your accomplishments!

Jon
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79