Sandwiches

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

chefchic

Sandwiches

Post by chefchic » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:28 am

I'm new at this....do I look at a sandwich as if it was on a virtual plate or is that considered stacking food?

rose

Post by rose » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:35 am

You decide for yourself. Some people do NoS one way, other people do NoS another way.

For instance, put your sandwich on a plate (cut it in two if it's too long and thin to fit) and ask yourself if it looks like a proper meal. Adjust at will (for instance, add an apple, or shorten the sandwich, or lengthen it, or change the food inside the sandwich, whatever).

Anyway you can decide it's a proper meal for now, and change your mind later on.
Try it this or that way for a few weeks, then check if you are losing weight, check how you feel after your meal (too full? still hungry? just full enough?), check how you feel right before your next meal (ravenous? not hungry? just hungry enough to appreciate your next meal?), and adjust. Try again for a few weeks. It's a learning process.
Started NoS Jan 07 at 74.5kg (164 lbs, BMI 26.7)
Stable since Jan 08 at 64kg (141 lbs, BMI 23)
My progress chart

Betty

Post by Betty » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:33 pm

I can't last till my next meal on just a sandwitch. If I have one for lunch I make it a really good one-- thick slices of cheese or meat, veggies, fresh herbs, and I add fruit or veggies to the plate and maybe some chips to round out the way the meal looks. Then I feel like I've eaten a meal and not a snack.

I don't worry about stacking, but what I've found works best for me is to use salad plates and pile it high. It just looks like more food, even if it would fit nicely on a 10" plate.

I'm discovering that the way the plate looks is everything in terms of keeping me satisfied.

But in the beginning, I would say that I wouldn't stress too much about stacking or no-- as others have said, experiment with what feels like the right amount. Does your sandwitch last till dinner?

Best of luck,

Betty

foxylady

Post by foxylady » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:15 pm

It is a little scary at first ..... getting in touch with your body about how much is too much. But No S will help you do that. It is not as hard as it may seem in the beginning. Hang in there .... success is sweet!

foxylady
Within your weakness, there lies your strength...... sleeping. ( Sylvia Brown's grandmother )

chefchic

Thanks!

Post by chefchic » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:46 pm

Thanks for the advice. :D

Laff

Post by Laff » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:46 pm

I always have something with my sandwich, either soup or fruit or both. Today I had mushroom soup, PB&J sandwich and a handful of fresh cherries. I felt satisfied and it will do me until dinner. I am not much of a sandwich person but somedays they do the trick. The bottom line is you have to eat enough to last until the next meal.
Gotta smile. Laff

Achieving begins with believing!

chentegt

Post by chentegt » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:36 pm

When I have a sandwich, I look at it's size.

I imagine it inside a plate. If I 'feel' if may be too big, I don't eat other things like fries or soup. But if it's a light/small piece, I eat something elese to 'supplement' it.

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:00 am

I think that part of the No S principle is to eat like people ate a generation ago. I'm certain that my Grandma never worried if a sandwich should be stacked or spread out. She also never served a sandwich with a million calories (like a double whopper with bacon and cheese!).

The plan is to eat. Eat food. Enjoy it! And as others have posted, I usually feel more satisfied with 3 items for a meal. Tonight I had a peanut butter sandwich (generous peanut butter), the rest of an individual pack of pretzels, and a peach for dinner. Lunch was ham and cheese sandwich, with lots of broccoli and cauliflower dipped in ranch dressing.

Welcome to No S and the forum, ChefChic.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:55 pm

Most sandwiches can fit pretty comfortably on a plate. If you have a plate handy, put it there. If not, use your imagination.

The "stacking" guideline is more for crazy stuff like slapping a steak on top of mashed potatoes and peas instead of making room next to them. Honestly, it'll look so excessive that you don't really need an explicit guideline.

Reinhard