Fibro No 'S'ers

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Hungry Girl

Fibro No 'S'ers

Post by Hungry Girl » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:11 am

Does anyone else out there suffer from fibromyalgia? This makes exeercise a little more difficult. I would love to hear from you and how the no S lifestlyle is working for you. I think keeping steady and stable is a good thing!

H>G> :P
Here we go again!

la_loser

Water waves works well!

Post by la_loser » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:32 pm

Hungry Girl: I don't have fibromyalgia but I do have more than my share of aches and pains. Knee surgery a couple of years ago that still gives me trouble and recurring foot issues. . .I posted this on another thread a few days ago. . . if you have access to a pool (even if it's not an organized class), you might find that this would be a solution. I went to the 8 am class today instead of the noon one and it was great. And trust me--me saying something positve about exercise--unheard of!
ANTI-EXERCISE! By the way--I'm one of those people whose description of exercise should be "the only place she runs is AWAY from exercise!" I have found a wonderful solution that works for me--for the first time ever and it seems like FUN! I go to a 45 minute "water waves" or water aerobics class M-F. During the summer it's held at the local pool near my house; a lot of us (mostly) fat ladies who go attend during lunch hour so work doesn't interfere. A good way to catch a few rays (protected of course), and get that body moving--and feel like you're playing! If you have joint pain or other body issues, it's perfect because it puts no stress on you. Right now I'm nursing a couple of stress fractures in my foot, so I use a foam noodle to keep me afloat while adapting the exercises. I hope to continue this at the natatorium once the outdoor pool closes for the summer.

Good luck.

la loser

Hungry Girl

Post by Hungry Girl » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:02 pm

Thanks LA Loser! Actually I love to swim - its just the hassle of working it in to my day that stops me going! I do yoga at home though and that helps but is not aerobic of course!
I like how No S is making me feel calmer and less nuerotic about weight.

(Not so) Hungry Girl :P
Here we go again!

Laff

Post by Laff » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:44 pm

I do have fibromyalgia. I belong to Curves and if I don't get too crazy it is often very helpful. I have been dealing with flare-ups lately and have put my exercise on the back burner. When I do go I go lightly (hard enough to increase my heart rate but not hard enough to cause a week of incapacitating pain). I also ride my exercise bike. I find walking causes me a lot of back pain but I do walk as often as I can. I try very hard to work in spite of the pain or around the pain. I know that losing weight will help the fibro. It is also so important to maintain a positive attitude. A good belly laugh makes everything seem better for a little while.

Take care and best of success on the NoS way of life. (I hate calling it a diet because for me it is a way of life).
Gotta smile. Laff

Achieving begins with believing!

Hungry Girl

Post by Hungry Girl » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:52 pm

Hi! Nice to hear from you fellow fibro person! Actually, in my real life (not on the bulletin board) I hardly ever tell anyone about my fibromyalgia because I don't likeit to define who I am!
I see you live in Canada. I am English but living in the US. I am feeling better and thinner on the no S diet although it hasn't been very long. My scale is not registering any weight loss yet, so I hid it under the bed!

Hungry Girl