Holiday in Turkey reinforces habit!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

bonnieUK

Holiday in Turkey reinforces habit!

Post by bonnieUK » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:22 pm

Hi peeps!

I've just got back from holiday in Turkey, very lovely place and people! I thought you might be interested to hear about the food there!

The hotel I stayed in served breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea (with cake) and dinner at set times, and I found this meal pattern really reinforced my No S habits! It also broke the day up nicely, eating outside in a nice garden helped too I'm sure.

For breakfast I usually took 1 large plate of whatever was vegan from the buffet (usually fried potatoes, salad, bread & watermelon)

Lunch was usually a potato and/or spinach pie plus more bread, and dinner was another plate of whatever was vegan from the dinner buffet, with yet more bread.

Most afternoons I had tea or Turkish coffee but didn't bother with the cake (usually too full of bread from lunch).

At dinner times I was spoiled for choice - each night the hotel served 1 meat or fish dish with about a zillion vegetable dishes and salad accompiniments and of course mountains of bread. I didn't feel at all deprived skipping the meat dish and loading my plate with veggie foods and salads. The food was similar to Greek food, they even had my favourite stuffed peppers on a few nights. Nothing like quality over quantity!

Of course we had the obligatory baklava a few of times but it wasn't much to my liking (dripping with syrup, a bit too sweet for me!).

Many of the hotel guests were locals and I noticed hardly anyone taking seconds, but I did observe that people ate a lot of bread on the side.

This is probably the first holiday I've had where I didn't go crazy with food LOL

I'd definitely recommend Turkey, if not for the food then for the amazing beaches (I've not seen sea anywyere else that gets 3-4 metres deep but remains completely clear all the way to the bottom, amazing! and nothing like swimming to burn off the baklava calories LOL).

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:11 pm

Sounds awesome all around Bonnie. I envy you. :)
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:15 am

Bonnie,

that is a GREAT No S story,
thank you for sharing it with us!

Sounds like you had a great trip!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Over43

Where in Turkey did you go?

Post by Over43 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:26 am

I spent 3 weeks in Turkey once: Ankara, Ayvalik and Cappadocia.

Also spent a day on Lesbos. Turkey is a wonderful country and I'd like to go back. If I go again I'd like to go to Gallipoli, Troy and Istanbul.

Jon

I forgot, in Ankara every cafe seemed to be named Iskander's.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:40 am

Hiya, Bonnie! Missed you, but sound as if you had a WONDERFUL reason to be gone! :)

Thanks for sharing.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:28 pm

Sounds great, on all counts!

I would love to make it to that part of the world some day...

For a diet, no-s travels remarkably well. There are no special required foods or statistics that may or may not be available. And it might even be easier if you're visiting places where traditional meal based eating patterns are more intact.

Reinhard

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:05 pm

I am glad you had a great visit.
I am going in the winter.
My husband is from Istanbul and his family still lives there.
He went to college in Ankara.
He is my Turkish Delight!
:D