Where did we get...???

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

Where did we get...???

Post by wosnes » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:02 pm

In her post about calorie counting KCCC mentioned protein and other folks have mentioned getting enough protein in a meal to help one make it to the next meal. Where did we get this obsession with protein?

I have to admit that when I read "protein" I think animal flesh, maybe eggs. What amuses or confuses me about this is that we don't need much protein in our diets -- I've read maybe 4 ounces daily maximum. What makes this more interesting, to me at least, is that most of the slim, healthy people in various cultures around the world eat very little in the way of animal proteins -- many don't consume the equivalent of an ounce daily. A number of those folks don't consume dairy, so they're not getting protein from that source.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:18 pm

Nuts!

Beans and Tofu too.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:29 pm

I used the term "protein" rather than "meat" in an attempt to NOT have it read as just meat. If you can suggest another term that doesn't suggest meat/eggs to you, I'll use that. :)

You're probably right, that most people in the US get more than enough. But I'm not sure that's true for long-term dieters. I know I tended to cut it back pretty far because most (though not all) protein sources are higher in fat and calories. So, I simply wouldn't allow myself cheese or nuts (both of which I love). Or, I wouldn't "spread it out" during the day - just have it in the evening, which I think affected satiety.

Maybe my description is off, though - maybe I just wasn't eating ENOUGH (period) at meals, b/c of the calorie count.

Either way, the end result would be getting hungry between meals and snacking (on far worse stuff than I would have eaten at the meal, generally).

Will think on that.

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:07 pm

I think a lot of it comes from the prevalent over-simplified nutrition models. Protein builds muscle. Fat contains calories, which make you fat. Vegetables are good for you, eat them. The result is over cramming every nutrient possible instead of thinking about food and eating properly.

The only cultures I can think of with food largely based on protein are English and American; if I think of East Asia, I think of rice or noodles; if I think of the Mediterranean, I think of pasta and bread. It probably says something about me that I think of regional foods before regional culture...
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

navi

Post by navi » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:31 pm

The traditional Inuit diet was very low (or no) carb - whale, caribou, fish, maybe some blueberries thrown in......You can live & thrive without carbs, but it is not particularly sustainable for the planet...

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:40 pm

It is also usually said that protien is harder to digest, and so takes longer, and so makes you feel full longer.

laptop-girl

Post by laptop-girl » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:44 pm

I eat a protein at every meal.

Meat version would be eggs, chicken, lean meats

Non-meat version would be yogurt / cottage cheese / dairy, legumes, nuts or nut butter, tofu, seitan

Even you were vegan, no dairy / no meat you could do well on tofu products.

I have about 12 ounces a day or more.That's a habit for me.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:49 pm

It's not necessary to do tofu/seitan either. I've done my time as a vegetarian/vegan and didn't use them.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

laptop-girl

Post by laptop-girl » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:20 pm

I see where you are coming from -- a lot of the Eastern world lives on quite a bit of rice! So everything works in moderation!

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:03 am

Hahaha, I'm reading a book on Alexander the Great and just last night I read what the traditional soldier-on-the-march meal was: bread and onion/apple and wine and I swear I thought "huh, no animal protein", now, this was people that albeit most of them under the age of thirty was used to rigorously train, march, work and fight daily and yet they went by several hours with meals of bread and raw onions and apples.
Most foods, well, as far as I remember, all foods except fats contain varying amounts of essential and non-essential amino-acids (the building blocks of protein), so they got some protein, albeit incomplete in their bread, onions and apples, but by no means what people today considers to be the standards of protein consumption.

I think we get used to whatever we have available, before I cut snacks, I would get hungry/headachy, whatever in two hours, nevermind if I had a complete protein or not, now, I find that I make it fine for four hours or more without any complete protein, if I have a complete protein, I'll be good to go for six or more hours, just like it should be.
But in the meantime, yes I had to depend on the dairy/nuts/meats to make it to the next meal, if only because my body would just demand it (probably because it knew it could get it from me).

storm fox

devil's advocate

Post by storm fox » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:40 am

Hello,
I'm not trying to be the Devil's advocate here, although my position may be taken as such. I do not do well at all if I restrict the protein I eat. I have tried to do so for environmental reasons, for ethical reasons, and for purported benefits to health and athletic prowess. Protein, and meat in particular, really seems to help my hunger, mental clarity, and the maintenance of steady energy levels.

I believe that it can be chalked up to "lifter's metabolism" and individual differences.

vmelo

Post by vmelo » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:45 am

I think that the current focus on protein is due to the prevalence of low-carb diets in the last twenty years or so.

A few years ago, I was watching my calorie intake and trying to base my diet on the traditional food pyramid. I used to journal my food, and I realized that I barely ate any protein. (If one good thing came out of that diet, it was that it made me realize the deficiencies in my diet).

I find that if I eat a protein, carb, and a fat, I am full longer than if I just eat one of those. For instance, if I eat a turkey and cheese sandwich (turkey = protein, cheese = fat, bread = carb), I'll be full much longer than if I ate a bowl of pasta.

All that said, I am not a big protein eater. That's why I could never stay on Atkins for more than two days. (I tried twice!).