Success with mini 4th "meal"

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

FarmerHal

Success with mini 4th "meal"

Post by FarmerHal » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:20 pm

I have been noSing for a year and a half now, and have been trying to stick with 3 meals (and I"m successful most of the week) but then I get to supper, and I wind up with this "last supper" mentality and my plate is piled HIGH and I mean, I'll squeak 2 or 3 dinner rolls around the rim of the plate and I know quite well this is a LOT of calories!

Anyway, this all stems because about 3:30pm, I get pretty hungry and I fret about it till supper. This is my biggest weakness and usually where my days wind up red instead of green.

All this last week I added a 4th mini meal mid afternoon. It's one small thing, like an apple with cheese slices, or handful of crackers, or carrots and a bit of dip.

This has helped me enormously and I can put reasonable amounts of food on my supper plate now! (and not have to internally fight myself)

So I think I'm going to go with 4 meals a day now, since it seems to work.
As a bonus, I went from 212 pounds down to 209.5 in a week! Whoa!
Could be coincidence, since weight fluctuates like that, but I've not seen that low of a number since the last time I passed it on the way "up" to 245 LOL.

That puts me at 35.5lbs lost without doing much thinking about "I'm on a diet."

Yay~ so you see, if I can do it, anyone can :)
Tiffani
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:57 pm

Thanks for sharing, Tiffani. I have just recently tweaked my plan too, as you may have read, and part of that involves the possibility of a fourth meal in there somewhere "if needed." I'm letting my appetite (physical, not emotional or taste "bud-al") be my guide about whether I have that fourth meal. Mostly for me I think it is about my thinking and obsession. Somehow if I know it's possible that I can eat if I'm hungry, I don't need to put so much on my plates at traditional mealtimes. I love that we are given such great guidelines but are also allowed to figure out for ourselves what works best for us.
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

gingercake

Post by gingercake » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:14 pm

Thanks for posting this - I may try it. I have blood sugar issues, and if I don't eat a perfect lunch with a good balance of fat/protein/fiber/carbs, I crash in the mid-to-late afternoon and it is no fun and turns dinner into a bit of a bear. For me, it would have to be a really tight set of default mini-meals...like you say, a piece of fruit with cheese, or fruit and nuts, or veggies and dip. I'd have to really limit my choices so that I didn't take advantage.

Joelle

Post by Joelle » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:30 pm

What a great job you're doing, Tiffani! Congrats! I know what you mean about that panic-y feeling when you get to dinner and know it's your last chance to eat for the day. I used to get it all the time when I was on WW. When I'd get to those last few points for the day, I would feel so freaked out.
I think you're wise to listen to yourself and not arrive at dinner with the "last supper" mentality. I think at least 1/2 the weight I want to lose comes from a "last hurrah" before starting yet another diet. So far, I've had luck with a cup of coffee or tea with steamed milk in the afternoon. Hope the 4th meal brings you continued success. Thanks for the inspiration. :D

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:45 pm

This has helped me enormously and I can put reasonable amounts of food on my supper plate now! (and not have to internally fight myself)

shamrockmommy,

that is great news that you have figured out a way to make this work for you! i guesss reinhard has mentioned that 3 is not necessarily a magic number it is more the consistency,

way to go,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:08 am

I recently added a small fourth meal to my 12 hour days at work. I have evidently been No-S-ing long enough to train my body that dinner is at 6pm, and if I work til 7pm, all I think about that final hour, and the drive home, is FOOD! And I cannot eat a normal meal that night, I overdo it. And I feel bad physically, almost shaky even though I do not have low blood sugar problems otherwise.

I decided that it was silly to be focusing on food so much after months of No-S-ing, so I added a mini meal between 5 and 6 pm on Thursdays. Something like a drink of juice or milk plus a small portion of fruit or yogurt. I did try the liquid sustenance, and it just wasn't enough. I don't want to eat a full meal at work, because I prefer meals at home with the family.

I believe that I am overloading my plates still, so I will have to be very diligent about this, but when I tried it last week it was just so sensible! Glad to hear that I'm not the only one needing it!
Last edited by CrazyCatLady on Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:44 am

Tiffany - 35.5 pounds - that's fantastic! well done.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:43 am

Thanks Funfuture.

Can't believe it myself :)

I need to lose about that much more yet though :)
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:50 am

I think consistency is more important than the actual number of meals (unless, of course, you eat SO many... but you're not).

You've also addressed the trade-off of "more opportunities to eat" meaning "more opportunities to over-eat" by limiting the mini-meal's menu. Sounds like a plan! :)

And CONGRATS on your weight loss! That's awesome.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:07 pm

Thanks for posting this. I too have been experimenting with different ideas. Between lunch and dinner is too long for me, sometimes we don't eat until 8 o'clock!!!!! And the starvation is just too much. I get grumpy, irritable, and it's just very unpleasant. I have been having a small snack between and I am no longer inclined to eat A LOT at dinner and I no longer get seconds. I HAD been having seconds because I was just so friggen hungry at that point. These are just my observations so far and so far so good. My weight has not gone up.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:19 pm

Congratulations! That's impressive -- and encouraging for no-essers who find 3 isn't cutting it for them.

Gotta add this to the testimonials page... (along with many others, sorry I'm taking so long to get around to updating it).

I wonder if starting with 3 meals was good training for handling 4...

Reinhard

vcanfield

Re: Success with mini 4th "meal"

Post by vcanfield » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:29 am

shamrockmommy wrote:I have been noSing for a year and a half now, and have been trying to stick with 3 meals (and I"m successful most of the week) but then I get to supper, and I wind up with this "last supper" mentality and my plate is piled HIGH and I mean, I'll squeak 2 or 3 dinner rolls around the rim of the plate and I know quite well this is a LOT of calories!

Anyway, this all stems because about 3:30pm, I get pretty hungry and I fret about it till supper. This is my biggest weakness and usually where my days wind up red instead of green.

All this last week I added a 4th mini meal mid afternoon. It's one small thing, like an apple with cheese slices, or handful of crackers, or carrots and a bit of dip.

Could be coincidence, since weight fluctuates like that, but I've not seen that low of a number since the last time I passed it on the way "up" to 245 LOL.

That puts me at 35.5lbs lost without doing much thinking about "I'm on a diet."

Yay~ so you see, if I can do it, anyone can :)
Tiffani
I am so glad I found your post! I don't usually eat much for lunch and by the time dinner rolls around I am ready to eat my own arm. This leads to "last meal on earth" eating. I pile it on high in response to deprivation. I think it is my hypoglycemia screaming for revenge. Today I added a small 4th meal- apple, cheese and milk and I had a normal sized dinner. I may have to keep up the 4th mini-meal for a while and work on eliminating it eventually; unless it actually becomes a helpful strategy.

Adagia

Post by Adagia » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:29 pm

It sounds to me that this is just like having an afternoon tea. If your schedule has you eating a late dinner - 8 hours or so from lunch to dinner, then it makes perfect sense to me to have a tea time in between. That's still a traditional schedule of meals. It's just a British schedule, not American.
Started Aug 04, 200 lbs
As of Sep 8, 195.5 lbs (5 weeks on habit)
45 years, 5' 10"

Prodigalsun

Post by Prodigalsun » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:14 am

I have added a 4th meal as well. a 12 ounce smothie around 3pm, with berries, soy milk, protein powder and banana. this has helped me keep dinner small.

doing this plan I am down now 24 pounds in about 2 months.
--

Starting Weight: 275
Current: 269
Goal: 190

"I shovel well, I shovel very very well."

Prodigalsun