Optimized Oatmeal Revisited

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

storm fox

Optimized Oatmeal Revisited

Post by storm fox » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:43 pm

Has anyone used a thermos to cook their oatmeal? I imagine that this way, steel cut oats could be used. Themoses are not hard to maintain, but it is a whole extra item to lug along.
Back in the day, when I was getting ready for Y2K, I learned this from preparedness nuts. They can be some creepy people, though, so I just kind of kept my distance.

Proof that you can learn something of value even from those you (strongly) disagree with.

No S Dieter

Steel Cut Oatmeal

Post by No S Dieter » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:26 pm

Hi! I haven't heard of MAKING oatmeal in a thermos, but I do LOVE the McCann Steel-cut oats. Have you tried them?
http://mynosdietjourney.blogspot.com/20 ... s-one.html
www.mynosdietjourney.blogspot.com
I'm a No S Dieter and happy about it!
See why on my blog!

eljay

Post by eljay » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:13 pm

Someone I knew who had her dogs on the Volhard Natural Diet used to cook the grains overnight in a thermos, as this diet calls for a grain meal in the morning and a meat meal at night. I think she said that she measured in the oats (or whatever) and boiling water, then just capped it and it was ready in the morning.

I don't think you use steel cut oats for dogs, so nothing to go by specifically, but letting them steam for a few hours seems like it ought to get them completely cooked.