Calorie Denial

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BrightAngel

Calorie Denial

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:07 pm

I found this recent news article interesting.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25464987/
It concerns the implimentation of the New York city law requiring chain restaurants to post calorie information.

Many people are not happy to learn that their food choices are extremely high-calorie.
DENIAL, "If I don't know it, it isn't true", is a big problem in weight-control,
and many people prefer ignorance, in order to avoid facing unpleasant facts.
‘Take off the labels’
“Some people actually tell us we should take off the labels, because it discourages them from ordering what they want,†he said,

Despite the eye-opening revelations, whether New Yorkers will switch to lower calorie meals remains to be seen. They may just switch menus.

That’s what Fowler, the woman who was dining recently with her friends at T.G.I. Friday's, decided to do.

“I’m so upset,†she said, noting some entrees — like the Jack Daniels ribs and shrimp dinner — contain almost 2,000 calories, and the desserts were more of the same (the brownie obsession is 1,500 calories). “I wish they wouldn’t have done this.â€

But then Fowler noticed that the waiter had handed her friend an old menu, which didn’t have calorie counts on it.

“You got a menu without anything on it?†she asked her friend. “Can I have yours?â€
The mentality of the woman mentioned above is a common one.
She would like to feel guilt-free while eating high-calorie foods.
It does feel great not to be responsible for our food choices.
and
It is difficult to be Accountable for the food choices we make.

Calories count,
whether one consciously chooses to control calorie intake
by counting them,
OR
whether one chooses to uncounsciously control them
by limiting the amount of food they eat, and the times they eat
- - such as is done within the No S Diet. (1 plate, 3 meals, no snacks)
This is an unpopular, rather unpleasant, Truth that many would like to forget,
and I sometimes experience hostility from people for the reminder.

There are some people whose bodies allow them to control their calorie input by the implementation of a few rules.
Within those simple rules or guidelines, their bodies show them what to eat.
This is commonly known as "intuitive eating".
Some pople think everyone is born with that ability, however,
there are a great many adults whose bodies lack that capability.
Those people need to exercise more conscious control of their food intake.

There are many ways to limit calories without counting them,
and some of those ways can bring great success.
I personally have found a way to make calorie counting an enjoyable Habit.
I keep a food journal in my computer.
Every day I click a few buttons to enter all my food, and my software program tells me my calories and other nutritional values.
In this way I become aware of my eating Truth.

I am Accountable for all my food choices.
I've been on many different "diets" or "food plans". .including No S,
but for the past 3 1/2 years, I have detailed records of what I've done, and the choices I've made.
This is what I've done to be successful.

To be Accountable is a difficult, adult thing.
But whether we count calories, or limit the calories of our food intake in some other way,
Calorie Accountability is necessary for successful weight-control.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:46 pm

My take on the calorie-labeling thing is that many foods in restaurants that look healthy and relatively low in calories are actually very high. Like some of the salads, sandwiches and stuff. People don't realize how many calories they're eating because they're so hidden.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

vmelo

Re: Calorie Denial

Post by vmelo » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:33 pm

BrightAngel wrote: Calories count, whether one consciously chooses to control calorie intake by counting them,
OR
whether one chooses to uncounsciously control them by limiting the amount of food they eat, and the times they eat - - such as is done within the No S Diet. (1 plate, 3 meals, no snacks)
This is true, but the conscious/unconscious aspect makes a world of difference, IMO. For me, the act of counting calories often leads me to overeat. For instance, let's say that I've had my dinner, and I don't know how many calories I've had for the day. I'm satisfied, and I don't really desire any more food. Then, let's say for some reason, I decided to count up my calories for the day and discover that I've eat only 1200 calories. Well, since I know that I can eat 1800 calories to maintain, I would be the type to be thinking about that 600 calories and probably end up eating something that night simply because I know I "can." Of course, this can work the other way as well, but I tend to obsess with food when I actual start counting calories.
BrightAngel wrote:There are some people whose bodies allow them to control their calorie input by the implementation of a few rules.
Within those simple rules or guidelines, their bodies show them what to eat.
This is commonly known as "intuitive eating".
Some pople think everyone is born with that ability, however,
there are a great many adults whose bodies lack that capability.
Those people need to exercise more conscious control of their food intake.
I agree that some are born with it. Actually, many of us were probably born with it but became corrupted by the dieting mentality. When I was a kid and a teenager, I never worried too much about what I ate. When I started dieting, however, I became more aware of food and started to focus on food. I think there's some sort of law in physics that says whatever is focused on expands---well, that certainly is the case in my experience with weight/dieting.
BrightAngel wrote: There are many ways to limit calories without counting them,
and some of those ways can bring great success.
I personally have found a way to make calorie counting an enjoyable Habit.
I keep a food journal in my computer.
Every day I click a few buttons to enter all my food, and my software program tells me my calories and other nutritional values.
In this way I become aware of my eating Truth.

I've been on many different "diets" or "food plans". .including No S,
but for the past 3 1/2 years, I have detailed records of what I've done, and the choices I've made.
This is what I've done to be successful..
This is great that you've found something that works for you. Obviously, you've been quite successful with it. This just shows how important it is to tailor a plan that suits one individually. I, for example, would not be successful doing what you're doing (I know because I've tried). I would feel as if I was micro-managing my eating, and that would backfire by making me rebel and chuck the whole program.

Thanks for the post!

[/i]

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:29 pm

I put this on another thread, but thought it fit well into this discussion as well,
BrightAngel,

it is interesting that all of your efforts toward accountability have not allowed you to stop snacking for any appreciable length of time. I know you give these issues a lot of time an thought. Why do you think all of your accountability and efforts have not helped you implement a no snacking habit, even though you have tried?

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:50 pm

All I can say is that we should eat out less and prepare our own food. At least, we know what is going into the food when we make it!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:29 pm

Bright Angel :)
Do what works for you.
Just do your thing.
You are making choices for yourself.
Changing life long bad habits is so so difficult.
I'm glad you have found a system that works for you.
Blessings
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:48 pm

blueskighs wrote:BrightAngel,

Why do you think all of your accountability and efforts
have not helped you implement a no snacking habit,
even though you have tried?

Blueskighs
Blueskighs,
I find it difficult not to be offended by your comment,
and I choose not to respond.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:07 pm

I really your admire how you can stick to something as difficult as strict calorie counting. I do very loose calorie counting to maintain my weight and it does work.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:43 pm

Hi Brightangel :)
Although I couldn't and wouldn't want to personally do calorie counting all the time, I do feel it's very good to *not* be in the dark about how much something really is.

Went to Mc Donalds tonight with Richard. We usually have fast food about once to twice a week.
Well I am pretty sure I will cut this back to less.
Good God!!! I was very far off in estimating how much anything on their menu was.
I think it's very good they are putting the calories of fast food on the lables and it's just another tool for us to use to stay aware of what we are consuming.
Then we can make educated choices.

Have a good weekend all :)
Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

irish

Post by irish » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:00 am

I have to agree with blueskighs. What I like about No S is that it takes you out of the diet mentality. I know, you have trouble with snacking & I have trouble with weekends, but at least I have 5 peaceful days.